Show us your lanyards!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Show us your lanyards!

Post by ladybug93 »

after liking this one so much, i got the od green zancudo and avispa, both in d2. both are great knives, but don't have the nicer feel of spyderco. i wish spyderco would stonewash more blades though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Bump, thought it would be good to get this threads going again if that's ok.
Just reading it now.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

1,822 posts wow... yep bump it to the top before I do.... lol....I’m the OP from years ago, nice to see this thread still going strong....BTW: I can’t tie a knot... lol... but always accept landyard scraps thrown my way.... I must say I had no idea back then the amount of fantastic information and awesome pictures this thread would generate. Kudos fob makers!!!!
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Ooh I’m glad this thread exists! I’ve been enjoying my Dflies clipless with snake knots.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Sih

Post by Sih »

I originally tried out a bunch of different knot designs, some of them looked and felt good, but sometimes I carry the Dragonfly by just dropping in the bottom of my pocket without clip or lanyard. Was hard to remove and replace the knotted lanyards when doing so. Eventually found this Ti bead that attaches with a screw so it's pretty easy to remove the lanyard. I also like how letting the Spydie bead slide allowed for a few different grip options.

"We are vigilant..."
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:20 pm
1,822 posts wow... yep bump it to the top before I do.... lol....I’m the OP from years ago, nice to see this thread still going strong....BTW: I can’t tie a knot... lol... but always accept landyard scraps thrown my way.... I must say I had no idea back then the amount of fantastic information and awesome pictures this thread would generate. Kudos fob makers!!!!
Yo Dr Snubnose, hi mate im new here, but welcome back!
Theres a current thread here saying you're missed, hope you've seen it
Nice thread mate.
Salty Dog

Re:

Post by Salty Dog »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 26, 2013 10:56 am
Newest creation...

Evil D, I love this idea mate, fantastic work.
I'll be using this great idea if you don't mind.
Ive seen a few of your YouTube vids and been learning a lot, really enjoyed them, keep up the great work.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I mistakenly started another lanyard thread recently, thanks David for redirecting me. I was struggling pretty hard the other day to tie a snake knot lanyard. I watched several videos, tried to follow several tutorials, and none of them came out like the tutorial.

Yesterday, I found this video:

Whether it was the video or just having a decent night's rest, the lanyard went together just right the first time. Nothing fancy, no beads, just enough to help me draw this knife from its sheath a little easier.

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I enjoyed the lanyard on my Barkie so much today I tied another for my K390 Dragonfly this evening. This knife doesn’t get carried often, and I think part of that is the small handle size. So far, I like it!

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I was browsing around one of the Facebook groups and a fellow recommended these Cobbler’s Choice leather boot laces for a lanyard material.

While looking for a good lanyard knot for leather, I came across this article on KSF on tying a CRK-style coil lanyard.

It took a few tries, but I think they came out pretty good! Definite upgrade over paracord. We’ll see how long they last.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Posted in @kennethsime's thread yesterday, me to having forgotten about this thread.
Moving / copying that post here, and as I'm back to work again today (and regular clothing) I added a pic of my current EDC

---------------
I considered lanyards to be quite ridiculous for a long time. Maybe, to some extent, fueled by the impression that lanyard holes seemed to get priority over clip position on some designs.

This was until I started carrying the smaller knives clipless.
It really enhances access, to the point where it’s easier to retrieve and re-pocket than clipped knives, but also aids somewhat to improve grip/control.

I’m not very experienced in this, but I’ve found that I like to start my lanyards with a tight section of snake knots to prevent the lanyard to swivel around and block the blade path. After that initial section I might leave it open ended or have a section without knots to make it flexible before finishing off with a solid knot or in very rare occasions a bead.

I prefer leather lace, but it all depends on what type of knife and how I plan to use it.

These two are what I carry most days atm.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Neat little razor knife. I’ve been casually looking for one but they seem to be either junk or really expensive!
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

Only knife I have a lanyard on is the Spin, because it's designed for a two-finger grip and having something for the rest of my hand makes it feel much more stable.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:16 am
Man that is a sweet little dragonfly. I’m going to carry mine as my edc today and see if the lanyard helps.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:26 am
aicolainen wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:16 am
Man that is a sweet little dragonfly. I’m going to carry mine as my edc today and see if the lanyard helps.
It really is a nice little knife. The scary thing is that I almost sold it. Even though I instantly liked it as a knife, I ran into the same issue I always had with the Dragonfly, it carries to shallow for its size. Didn't matter much that the part that was sticking out was more beautiful.
As getting knives from the US is such PITA, I luckily decided to keep it around in the sock drawer and sleep on it for a bit.
While I had already discovered that the FRN DF2 carried well in the back pocket with no clip or lanyard, the smoother and heavier pakkawood DF could slide out unnoticed. Once I thought to put a lanyard on it, I can easily pull it from my fifth pocket, and it actually stays more reliably in the back pocket as well. Problem solved.
That wasn't so scary you may think? Well beyond the fact that this beauty almost slipped away, it kind of got me thinking what other knives in my sock drawer is not getting used/do I consider selling just because I haven't discovered the proper way to carry it and/or use it?
Makes me even more hesitant to sell..
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A few of my favorites......

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:47 pm
Wow! I like your taste in knives, fobs, and beads 😁.
Great pics!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:12 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:47 pm
Wow! I like your taste in knives, fobs, and beads 😁.
Great pics!
Thanks!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:16 pm
Zancudo, I have a brown one, great knife, it flies out with authority even with my broken thumb "the knuckle is twice as big as normal" . Some knives I cant open fast with my thumb. I also have his big brother Avispa, its the same, flies right open.
I really like the Essee Framelocks. Sturdy little buggars for how slight they are in pocket. The lock bar sure does give the thumb a workout though.

If we are posting non spydies, here is one of the latest ones I made. It is not fancy by any means as I'm still learning to work with paracord. I did some testing with colored sharpies stuck in green grass. Hot pink stood out like a sore thumb.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

And here is a gift that went to Mom. She's into confectionary.