Reveal 7, a what now?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TenGrainBread

Re: Reveal 7, a what now?

Post by TenGrainBread »

KnifeCenter and BladeHQ have pre-orders up for the new Reveal 7 knives up. The Para2 Cruwear is listed at $171.50 MAP. Looks like a good deal compared to ~$196 for S110V and ~$227 for Maxamet, and ~$154 for S30V.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I can’t believe my eyes ! Howard Viele and in red. My dream came true. Thank you Spyderco ! :spyder: The most exciting Reveal so far... at least for me.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
fixall

Post by fixall »

This reveal has me VERY happy! I will absolutely be grabbing a K390 Delica and Dragonfly Wharncliffe the moment they are available! Same with the serrated Salt Wharncliffe and Mule Team... And I wouldn't be surprised if my wife wanted one of the pink Dragonflys. She has one in teal and it is her all-time favorite knife.

This is great timing as the blacked out Grasshopper and Manbug Wharncliffe I ordered from the Reveal 6 are set to arrive today and the CBN Benchstone arrived the other day. Those should keep me busy while I wait for the Reveal 7 releases. :D

Thanks for the news Spyderco! 2021 is already looking good. :)
Rab

Post by Rab »

Didn't expect this,
SE Salt UKPK & lil Native slipit. Oh Yeeess!
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

The UKPK Salt was surprising. I was beginning to think I would never see the Salt 2 LC200N. This reveal has not disappointed me in the least.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Ok - I’ve been complaining about the lack of US steels in the DF2 line since I joined. I put my money where my mouth was and pre-ordered an S30V DF2. It will get swapped into my black FRN current carry.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

KnifeCenter just posted an interview with Eric about the Reveal knives in which he says that they'll be doing serrations on all of the K390 knives at some point. Does that mean there'll be a serrated K390 Police?
vivi

Post by vivi »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:59 pm
KnifeCenter just posted an interview with Eric about the Reveal knives in which he says that they'll be doing serrations on all of the K390 knives at some point. Does that mean there'll be a serrated K390 Police?
I'm torn between grabbing the Endura or waiting to see if this happens. I'd really like to try K390 SE one way or another. I bet its a great steel for SE.
:unicorn
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:21 pm
I'm torn between grabbing the Endura or waiting to see if this happens. I'd really like to try K390 SE one way or another. I bet its a great steel for SE.
In the video I mentioned, Eric says they paid special attention to testing the K390 serrated edge because the brittleness of the higher hardness steels tends to cause chipping problems when grinding out the serrations. He says the process worked out really well. I'm sure the fact that K390 is one of the tougher tool steels helped with that.

While I was on youtube, I watched a couple "Reveal 7 commentary" videos by some seemingly very popular knife reviewers on youtube. The first one that came up, the guy didn't know what "slipit" is, said "I don't do serrations", commented on many knives that he said he's never used before, dismissed the Mule with an "eh", and repeatedly misprounced Howard Viele's name and could only muster the description "weird" for the Phoenix. I don't want to come off as a Spyderco apologist, but man, what's even the point of making a video about something that you have no idea about and don't care to learn more about?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:02 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:21 pm
In the video I mentioned, Eric says they paid special attention to testing the K390 serrated edge because the brittleness of the higher hardness steels tends to cause chipping problems when grinding out the serrations. He says the process worked out really well. I'm sure the fact that K390 is one of the tougher tool steels helped with that.

While I was on youtube, I watched a couple "Reveal 7 commentary" videos by some seemingly very popular knife reviewers on youtube. The first one that came up, the guy didn't know what "slipit" is, said "I don't do serrations", commented on many knives that he said he's never used before, dismissed the Mule with an "eh", and repeatedly misprounced Howard Viele's name and could only muster the description "weird" for the Phoenix. I don't want to come off as a Spyderco apologist, but man, what's even the point of making a video about something that you have no idea about and don't care to learn more about?
Stay off YouTube, or at least don't take their word when it's "reviewers" that just open and close the knife 20+ times, ramble about materials and weigh the knives. Which is 9 out of 10 of these "reviewers"

Personally I only look for reviews if they are actually using the knife, and for size comparisons to other knives.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wishlisted for that Micarta PM2, but I doubt I'll get one.

Pre-ordered the K390 Stretch from BladeHQ. Very excited for that.

I love the earth tones in the new Tenacious LWs and the Roadies. Didn't jump on either of those yet, but might.
Last edited by kennethsime on Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:51 pm

Endura for me. Dreamed of an ffg SE Endura-ish knife for quite some time, and now there are TWO (Pac Salt 2 LC200N and this K390) - thank you Sal and Spyderco!!! :)

I reached the same conclusion. I'm content with a plain edge for precision work, but have been curious about a serrated edge for serious hogging through material. For that kind of work, bigger is better. Endura it is. I've also been curious about K390, so I'm killing two birds with one stone... or skewering two birds with one knife.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:08 pm
You'll get one. It's regular production. The first few batches might sell out pretty quick but they'll keep coming.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:18 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:08 pm
You'll get one. It's regular production. The first few batches might sell out pretty quick but they'll keep coming.
Wow, that's great! Wish they would do that with the Shaman as well.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The Viele was a big surprise.

I was also surprised that the Roadie got new colors, but it's a model I've rarely paid attention to. Maybe sales in very restrictive jurisdictions are actually quite good? I think many folks expected the Lil' Native Slipit eventually, but probably few, anticipated it would be in the first reveal of 2021.

The UKPK Salt makes a lot of sense to me. The Salt series has become a popular niche for Spyderco, and now they have a Salt that can be sold in even more markets globally.

The K390 and LC200N Seki models follow the pattern of filling out the core line with what are becoming standard steel variants.

The Cru-Carta PM2 puts a desired handle and blade combo into regular production on a very popular model. The pink DF2 also follows the pattern of pink handle variants of popular models. I think a pink handle on the smallest, lightest locking folder makes sense.

What's Next?
Hopefully a Lil' Native Salt, and a revival of the UKPK rescue as a Salt. Saver Salt 2 with a handle update to screw together construction and three screw clip like the Salt 2? If it was up to me, though, I'd just skip the Saver Salt 2 handle mold cost and pop a rescue blade into the N5 Salt to replace the Salt Saver.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Another left field... the CruCarta Pm2 has full liners! What a surprise!

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

There isn’t a single thing in the reveal that interests me unfortunately.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:02 pm
Another left field... the CruCarta Pm2 has full liners! What a surprise!

Eric is looking more and more like Sal every time I see him in a new video. Strong blood!

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm almost 100% certain I'm getting two Spyderco knives on the 4th of next month. Spyderco Assist H1, and Blacked out Yojumbo.

I keep praying that there are plans to release the Yojumbo in 20CV. THAT is the knife to EDC.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Lot of interesting models.

I like that K390 Stretch has straight spine.
But, really out of the blue, micarta PM2 is speaking to me.
Next year I will one of these (or Caribbean, or Military).
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45