Backlock is my favorite lock, even for fidgeting...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

Backlock is my favorite lock, even for fidgeting...

Post by Baron Mind »

I know "which lock is best" debates have been done to death, but I think it's important to remind the knife world how much backlocks are enjoyed and appreciated sometimes. In this day and age, it is probably the least used of the common locktypes, and has a reputation for being old fashioned, out of date, and no fun.

I've been an enthusiast for maybe 3 solid years now. Lately I've made it a point to experience a lot of different knives from a lot of different companies, and I've really been trying to figure out what I prefer and why.

Things I don't prefer:

Poor lockbar access.
Side to side blade play.
Painful to fidget with for short periods of time.
Finicky... ness

I have a number of otherwise great liner/framelocks that are ruined for me because they are unpleasant to unlock.

Ditto for great knives with side to side play that can't be adjusted out. A lot of axis locks/compression locks fall into this category.

A few flippers that pass #1 fail #3

Finnicky... some knives are great, but only if and while they are perfectly tuned. Eighth of a turn left, blade play. Eighth of a turn right, blade doesn't drop. Thumb stud action that is amazing... IF you apply pressure at just the right angle. Perfect release timing or blade bounces back out... (again, axis and comp locks here. Mentioned specifically because they would be my favorite without these 2 issues)

For the most part, backlocks suffer from non of these issues. Operation is simple and straightforward. Opening and closing is painless. Action is not dependent on pivot tuning. Generally no side to side play, or it's easily adjusted out. I find them fun to fidget with. Opening sort of feels like operating a front flipper. The two step one handed closing is more fun than unlocking a lockbar to me. The action is simple and painless. The thwack when it locks open is satisfying. The lock is strong. The lock does not affect ergonomics. Fingers out of the way of the blade path.

It's my favorite lock, and I would love to see it used on more, new, higher end models. A lot of people seem to view it as a budget or midrange lock type. S90v fluted cf native aside, there are not a lot of highend production knives using a backlock. I think there should be!
Last edited by Baron Mind on Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenGrainBread

Re: Backlock is my favorite lock, even for fidgeting...

Post by TenGrainBread »

I think a lot of people on the forum have the same preference for backlocks, including myself. Unfortunately I think you're right that newer knife enthusiasts who get most of their information from social media tend to think of backlocks as old fashioned, that they can't be "flicked open" like comp lock knives, and that you need two hands to close them. Anyone who carries a Spyderco backlock knife regularly knows that these sentiments are silly, and yet I see them repeated often on social media.

Besides the action, the strength and lockup of backlocks are great. There's a BladeHQ video from a few years ago where they tested lock strength and the backlocks won hands down. Wasn't a very scientific test, nor do I think folding knives need to be ultra strong, but it does establish the backlock as being an incredibly reliable design in high stress situations.

I recently sold my PM 2 and Para 3 because I simply never carried them. While I like the Military line ergonomically, I really just prefer a good backlock. My regular rotation is Police 4, Endura 4, a variety of Natives, and the Native Chief. We're really lucky to have the Native and Police/Endura/Endela/Delica/Dragonfly product lines - I hope they never go away. But if they do, I'm stocked up ;)
Last edited by TenGrainBread on Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Duplicate
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

My favorite too.
TenGrainBread wrote: ...There's a BladeHQ video from a few years ago where they tested lock strength and the backlocks won hands down. Wasn't a very scientific test, nor do I think folding knives need to be ultra strong, but it does establish the backlock as being an incredibly reliable design in high stress situations...
If its the video Im thinking then it was severely flawed. People in the comments on youtube actually pointed out what was wrong with it.

But it doesnt matter. I wouldnt care if the backlock did poorly in that test, it is still my preferred lock.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A lot discussed here already indeed, but I´ll never get tired if praising the Spyderco mid backlock.
For me clearly the best locktype ever, for many reasons (all just MY 2c of course):

- Most versatile lock with the most and safest ways of one handed closing ("safe" meaning as well for the fingers as concerning accidently dropping the knife).
- Can, like comp. lock and CBBL, be closed with fingers all the time out of the blade path, but if not, it is still very safe for the fingers compared to especially the comp. lock
- Strong bias of staying closed and by that very safe in the pocket
- Comfortable in hand due to the most times closed back.
- Very good in wet, cold conditions and with gloves
- Makes possible the construction of very thin folders
- Very strong lock (though all Spyderco locks are more than strong enough, I can remember even Eric Glesser saying, that in long bladed folders he likes to have a backlock for its strength).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:39 pm
My favorite too.
TenGrainBread wrote: ...There's a BladeHQ video from a few years ago where they tested lock strength and the backlocks won hands down. Wasn't a very scientific test, nor do I think folding knives need to be ultra strong, but it does establish the backlock as being an incredibly reliable design in high stress situations...
If its the video Im thinking then it was severely flawed. People in the comments on youtube actually pointed out what was wrong with it.

But it doesnt matter. I wouldnt care if the backlock did poorly in that test, it is still my preferred lock.

Yes, in that test the blade broke before the backlock failed. But that is totally logical in the given setup, actually the lock just COULD not really fail in that setup:
- They put a Delica upright in a vice (so fixated the blade)
- They put a cable around the handle / lockbar BELOW (so in that scenario more towards the blade) where the lockbar is pressed in normal use
- They applied growing force on the cable
- So the cable actually pressed the lock into the CLOSED position, since it was on the other side of the pivot the lockbar turns around

See in the vid starting at about 10:50 https://youtu.be/ERxHUXAFVs4
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:29 pm
I really just prefer a good backlock. My regular rotation is Police 4, Endura 4, a variety of Natives, and the Native Chief. We're really lucky to have the Native and Police/Endura/Endela/Delica/Dragonfly product lines - I hope they never go away. But if they do, I'm stocked up ;)
My 2 favorite knives are my Cruwear Native 5 and g10 Police 4. That is part of my reason for that 3.5 inch Native 5 post the other day. I'm missing a good mid sized backlock in my rotation. I'm looking at the zdp caly 3.5 or a k390 Endela, but I'd wouldn't be satisfied with the frn, not in this case anyway. I do not mind frn in my rotation, but for a top 3 kind of knife, I'm looking for something a little more premium feeling. Aftermarket micarta or g10 scales would work, however they don't exist yet afaik.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:42 pm
A lot discussed here already indeed, but I´ll never get tired if praising the Spyderco mid backlock.
For me clearly the best locktype ever, for many reasons (all just MY 2c of course):

- Most versatile lock with the most and safest ways of one handed closing ("safe" meaning as well for the fingers as concerning accidently dropping the knife).
- Can, like comp. lock and CBBL, be closed with fingers all the time out of the blade path, but if not, it is still very safe for the fingers compared to especially the comp. lock
- Strong bias of staying closed and by that very safe in the pocket
- Comfortable in hand due to the most times closed back.
- Very good in wet, cold conditions and with gloves
- Makes possible the construction of very thin folders
- Very strong lock (though all Spyderco locks are more than strong enough, I can remember even Eric Glesser saying, that in long bladed folders he likes to have a backlock for its strength).
I feel it's unobtrusiveness is not talked about enough. No relief cuts required anywhere! No lockbar tabs digging into your palm. Nothing protruding from the sidea of the scales. No possible hot spots. The backlock sits perfectly into the handle. If that isn't the most undercelebrated aspect of locking mechanism design I don't know what is. The only other locks that can claim the same are what, the phantom lock on the meerkat? A few million dollar custom sliding bolster locks? Nonlocking slipjoint? Incredible.
Last edited by Baron Mind on Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Another reason the backlock is so good.

I can flawlessly operate a police 4, endura 4, delica 4, dragonfly 2, and ladybug. And anything inbetween.

The closing procedure just works regardless of knife size. I cant really say the same for most of the other lock types.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

My index finger hurts from fidget-closing backlocks...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, everyone here knows the mid back lock is my favorite lock by a wide margin. It is extremely rare for one to fail if it is well made.

As for the Blade HQ video, there were actually two different ones. Each time the back lock was king by a huge margin. The company that makes Gibb's knife can only wish they had as strong of locks. They are notorious for failing though they look tough. Give me a Spyderco or Cold Steel back lock any day.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

lockbacks are the best locking mechanisms for folding knives, and nobody executes them like Spyderco.
:unicorn
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I prefer backlocks over the others. I’m hoping for a shaman backlock.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I like to fidget with back-locks too. I can :spyder:-flick Chaps and thumb flick Natives after a bit of TLC.
Back locks are the best in gloved hands, followed by Axis/Able/CBBL locks and I wouldn't recommend any of the others. Above all, I really like the beauty of symmetry and its advantages, for instance being truly, effortlessly, ambidextrous.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I am old, and my first folders several decades ago were backlocks. There was no such thing as flickability or fidget factor then. I prefer backlocks because one needs to perform a deliberate, conscious action to unlock them.

I don't fidget with my knives, and I was shocked when I got a Yojimbo 2 with compression lock, as the thing drops shut like a guillotine, which was quite scary at first. I am probably in the minority as I prefer a blade that doesn't fall shut when the lock is disengaged.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Freediver wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:00 am
I prefer backlocks over the others. I’m hoping for a shaman backlock.

+ 1 concerning a Shaman backlock and I also hope for a Caribbean-style-backlock (perhaps a Leaf Jumper XL will be just that?)
As cool and ingenious the comp.lock is, for me it is not ideally suited for larger, harder use, outdoor, use-with-gloves..folders, but the backlock is. (And for the record: I am not one of those who are concerned with that a comp.lock could accidently open in the pocket, cause it never happened to me. And I´d really like to have a Sage 5 LW (comp.lock) for a smaller, more "urban EDC").
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:32 am
I am old, and my first folders several decades ago were backlocks. There was no such thing as flickability or fidget factor then. I prefer backlocks because one needs to perform a deliberate, conscious action to unlock them.

I don't fidget with my knives, and I was shocked when I got a Yojimbo 2 with compression lock, as the thing drops shut like a guillotine, which was quite scary at first. I am probably in the minority as I prefer a blade that doesn't fall shut when the lock is disengaged.
That´s what I am talking about when saying that the backlock is the safest lock if one considers both "safety for the fingers" and "safe in the hand" while closing the knife:
- If a comp.lock is closed with fingers all the time out of the blade path, one has to grab the knife in that typical pinch grip - absolutely fine most of the times, but in a hurry or with cold, wet fingers there is a risk of accidently dropping the knife (and a backlock can also be closed with fingers all the time out of the blade path)
- If a folder is closed while emphasizing that the knife remains more secure in the hand (so fingers NOT all the time out of the blade path), the backlock shows its advantages:
With a backlock ne can conveniently close the blade to half closed where it will stay firm, and then safely reposition the knife and finish the closing
With a comp.lock not so much due to (quoting you) the "drop shutting like a guillotine" ;)...
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

The Spyderco backlock is my favorite lock as well.
James Y

Post by James Y »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:32 am

I also don’t care for a blade just falling shut (“drop-shutty” action). I have only four compression locks, and none just drop shut when unlocked; I close mine by manipulating them closed, which for all intents and purposes, is as quick and easy, and much safer than, dropping a blade shut. I feel that if a blade can just swing shut, the tolerances are too loose.

I find Spyderco’s backlocks easy to open and close one-handed. From the SS Police and Police 4 LWT, all the way down to my tiny Ladybug hawkbill Salt (although the latter is slightly awkward due to its small size, it’s doable). But except for initially playing a bit with a new knife to get a feel for it, I do not fidget with my knives, or obsessively open and close them ( but if others do, that’s great, too).

Jim
KnotTheory

Post by KnotTheory »

lol There are dozens of us

Seriously I do quite like a well executed backlock. It's not that I don't like other mechanisms too, but there's just something about it. Someone commented on the uniformity regardless of size, and I think there's something to that. Spyderco does them well, though I consider some of the Cold Steel lockbacks (from before the Tri-Ad days) and Tri-Ads (not all, but some, it depends on the model) to be on par.

I think mostly what I like about it is the handle and scales can just be smooth front and back without too much in the way of relief cuts for the lock mechanism, it appeals to me ergonomically and aesthetically. I think the psychology of it appeals to me too, it just puts me more at ease than mechanisms that rely on the friction between two ramped surfaces pushing against each other.

I sometimes loathe the liner lock for taking over as the "default" because while I have a few liner locks that I like, and I certainly get the appeal and I don't think poorly of anyone for liking it best, it tends to make a lot of knives very "meh" to me.

I do find backlocks easier to take apart in the event the knife gets dropped in the muck or the like than other locks, but I might be weird.

I'm a fuddy duddy, I've usually two handed the closing, though you certainly can do it one handed.
⟨ x , y ∣ x 2 = y 3