Looking for SpydieChef feedback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M Sea

Re: Looking for SpydieChef feedback

Post by M Sea »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:57 pm
Get some Z-Cuts and save yourself A TON of money for something else. That's an awful lot of money to spend on a folder used just for the kitchen, which in my opinion is a big waste of a money. A folder in the kitchen is like oil and water to me. I really don't get the point of doing so.
Your right, I will look into the Z-Cuts.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:10 pm
I’d say the Spydiechef is a good EDC, especially if you tend to cut a lot of food/fruit on the go, but it is no kitchen knife. It is too short and thick behind the edge to compete.

It dulls noticeably quicker than S30V in my general uses, but it is ridiculously easy to sharpen again.

I carry mine quite a lot.
Thanks for the heads up. Definitely not gonna get it for the kitchen.
Big50

Post by Big50 »

Fantastic knife.

I’ve used mine in the kitchen a bit—mostly before I got some decent dedicated kitchen knives.
It’s a little too broad for a parring knife and too short for a chef’s knife.

I see mine as a great EDC that’ll work for kitchen duties in a pinch, and I won’t have to stress over clean up if/when it gets messy.

A Spydiechef XL would be awesome in the kitchen though!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

It's name is it's own worst enemy. It is not a kitchen or chef's knife. It is so much more. In a world with a proliferation of power cutting negative blade angled knives, the SpydieChef is a welcome relief. Most of us think we know what we need or like but basically keep buying the same knife over and over and over again and seldom stray outside our norm. Maybe a slightly longer or shorter blade. Maybe a slightly taller or thinner profile. Maybe a slightly more contoured handle. Adding diversity to your arsenal with something like a SpydieChef is not a bad thing. As much as I covet and regret not buying a Slysz Bowie, the honest truth of the matter is that the Slysz SpydieChef is in all probability more useful for my needs and perhaps not by a narrow margin, either. I console myself and keep telling myself I made the right decision as Sal & Co. The Slysz Bowie is discontinued while the SpydieChef continues on.

If I may be so bold as to offer some advice to young aspiring Big Game hunters...........do yourself a favor and get a SpydieChef. It may be one of the smartest purchases of hunting gear you make in a lifetime. You can even rock it and mince garlic back in camp. :)
Last edited by skeeg11 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:10 pm
I’d say the Spydiechef is a good EDC, especially if you tend to cut a lot of food/fruit on the go, but it is no kitchen knife. It is too short and thick behind the edge to compete.

It dulls noticeably quicker than S30V in my general uses, but it is ridiculously easy to sharpen again.

I carry mine quite a lot.

I'd say its more or less just a whiff or two above VG-10 for edge retention for me.

Not that it's a bad thing. I enjoy EDCing this knife. Just don't pay full price - look for discounts and vouchers if planning on getting one.

Always handy when there's a birthday party and a cake needs to be sliced.

Mine's a hit in the office for that purpose.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Attachments
20201227_193959.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I have owned and carried a Spydiechef exclusively for about 2 years now. If you are buying it just as a kitchen knife don't do it. If you are going to buy it for a easy to sharpen worry free daily pocket knife that could see use from opening packages, breaking down cardboard, cutting fiberglass cloth, gutting and skinning/filleting game/fish of many sizes, stripping wire in a pinch, light fieldcraft/bushcraft and kitchen duty plus everything in between then I would say buy one. Just because it says Spydiechef don't put it in a box because the knife itself will surprise you in what it can do. Just understand it's limits because it does't have them. It is one of my favorite pocket knives I have ever owned and has earned a permanent place in my pocket.

I almost forgot when sharpened properly it will shave curls on single strands of hair.
B1B852EE-605D-4AD8-9F6E-36F2F581D3E3.jpeg
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Ive been carrying it for about 2 months now, love it. Slim in pocket reaching in. South West Florida, no worry about rust. Is this going to replace your 8" Chef Knife? No,,,,,,, but its a good EDC. Buy it, you will Love it. I have a Caribbean also.

KnifeJoy had anodized blue scales for $5 more , looks like they dropped the upcharge, buy it now if you want it.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Thanks for all the good info. I was looking into it as a kitchen use knife and learned that’s not where it shines. I am gonna hold off on it because I have a few other Spydies that fill the edc needs.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

M Sea wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:25 am
Hope everyone is having a great Christmas break. I am giving a hard look at the SpydieChef as my next knife purchase and wanted to know who has one and how they like/dis-like it, especially in the kitchen. I am looking to use it exclusively in the Kitchen. I already have a Caribbean PE and may just use that? Thanks.
I don’t own a Spydie Chef, but since you’re asking I have heard some people have had problems with lock stick.

I’m a huge fan of the Caribbean PE leaf. It’s one of my favorites, but as far as kitchen use goes... I would go with something else. I find the blade stock is a little too thick for kitchen use.

That being said I think the Siren is wonderful in the kitchen as is the Waterway. Kitchen use would be a great excuse to get one or both. I really can’t say enough good the Siren. Plus Salt knives need I say more?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:39 pm
M Sea wrote:
Hope everyone is having a great Christmas break. I am giving a hard look at the SpydieChef as my next knife purchase and wanted to know who has one and how they like/dis-like it, especially in the kitchen. I am looking to use it exclusively in the Kitchen. I already have a Caribbean PE and may just use that? Thanks.
I don’t own a Spydie Chef, but since you’re asking I have heard some people have had problems with lock stick.

I’m a huge fan of the Caribbean PE leaf. It’s one of my favorites, but as far as kitchen use goes... I would go with something else. I find the blade stock is a little too thick for kitchen use.

That being said I think the Siren is wonderful in the kitchen as is the Waterway. Kitchen use would be a great excuse to get one or both. I really can’t say enough good the Siren. Plus Salt knives need I say more?
Forgot about the Siren and have always liked them!
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I've been wanting one since they were released but never pulled the trigger mainly because of price. Well, after much persistence I finally scored one the other day on one of the FB Spyderco groups scored a CQI version with box that had been carried but looks like never been cut. Got it for a steal, $125 shipped.

I've yet to carry it because I'm still trying to try out my factory seconds from the sale but when I do I'll update this thread.

My first thoughts from just getting it out of the box is WOW, it's light, slim and the action is amazing.
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

I already have a second Spydiechef (the first one was stolen) and sometimes use it in the kitchen. Certainly it will not replace a large kitchen knife, but I like to use it to cut smaller vegetables and pieces of meat, sausages. As already mentioned, it is bad to peel vegetables. And it would be fun if he had 1 inch more ...
:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

przemekspce wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:47 pm
I already have a second Spydiechef (the first one was stolen) and sometimes use it in the kitchen. Certainly it will not replace a large kitchen knife, but I like to use it to cut smaller vegetables and pieces of meat, sausages. As already mentioned, it is bad to peel vegetables. And it would be fun if he had 1 inch more ...
Thanks for the info!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Refer to my long term review. But in short no, It’s not good as a kitchen knife. It’s not ground nearly thin enough to preform even okay in the kitchen. It can take the abuse but it doesn’t preform well. I’d suggest finding a decent Japanese 5 to 5.5 inch petty knife with a saya. It preforms the same job while being multitudes more functional.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:18 pm
Refer to my long term review. But in short no, It’s not good as a kitchen knife. It’s not ground nearly thin enough to preform even okay in the kitchen. It can take the abuse but it doesn’t preform well. I’d suggest finding a decent Japanese 5 to 5.5 inch petty knife with a saya. It preforms the same job while being multitudes more functional.
I agree, this was an eye opening thread. Thanks to all of you guys!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I just found this thread, so here's my humble 2 cents. I'm not a very cricital kitchen cutter, I mainly help out with the cutting before food prep, and cleaning everything afterwards ;). To me, the Spydiechef is a great hybrid: part EDC folder, part folding kitchend knife. For a folding kitchen knife (for camping for example) I would prefer more edge-length. My personal preferred spydie as a folding kitchen knife is my Lum XL, or a Military I guess. Neither could compete with a K05 or Itamae Petty though - but they don't fold.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:07 am
Lum XL.
Underrated answer.

The Lum Chinese was one of my favorites, aside from being slightly small. I just missed out on the pink XLs for $99 a few years ago and I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced one since.

I never thought about it in this role. But, it makes 100% sense.

R.I.L. Lum Chinese XL in Vanax?... >:)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

M Sea wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:36 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:39 pm
M Sea wrote:

Forgot about the Siren and have always liked them!
The Siren really is bada$$! Very capable knife lightweight yet robust. Looks good too.

It’s quickly becoming one of my favorites. It is in my pocket as I type.

The Waterway is awesome too, I bought it the first chance I got. I take it hiking and when it’s not on the trail with me it’s pulling kitchen duty. It truly excels at meat preparation. I used it not an hour ago to slice a huge 3” thick London broil in to thirds; two quick cuts and I was done. :)

I really can’t recommend either of Lance Clinton’s creations enough!
53F11582-ADD8-4A12-8177-E31095C1FCAD.jpeg

Caribbean for size reference.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I really need to pick up a waterway next time I get the chance. I have wanted one since I first seen them.