Z-Wear Shaman lookout thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Z-Wear Shaman: availability discussion & lookout thread

Post by Sharp Guy »

Be patient everyone! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

And a look at how nicely the micarta patina's after quite a bit of carry and use! If I didn't have so many knives I'd carry it even more often just to see how these scales continue to change :cool:

Resized_20201102_153304001.jpeg
Resized_20200317_103420001.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Did anyone measure their Shaman behind the edge ? Just curious...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
citori

Post by citori »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:54 pm
The Z-Wear Shamans have not been released yet. Are you complaining about something that hasn't even happened?
Yes. I thought that was obvious.

Which distributors are getting them? Who knows.
How many will they get? Who knows.
How many will be made? Who knows.
When will they be released? Who knows.

I understand that this sort of marketing appeals to some but it is lost on me. There are too many things I prioritize ahead of watching my email for an announcement of a knife being available to order so I can participate in the rush.

What will likely happen is that the thing will be released and a couple of weeks later I will find out, largely by accident. They'll be sold out and if I convince myself I really want one to try I will buy it from the secondary market. The fact that it is "limited" or otherwise hard to get isn't really a factor as I am not a collector. I just like the Shaman pattern OK and really like Z Wear. But not enough to stop whatever I am doing to place an order.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

All you gotta do is hang around here and you'll be updated on drops much sooner than any email notification. Maybe have a little better attitude though. It's not that hard to get any exclusive or sprint ad long as you pay attention.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
jdw

Post by jdw »

citori wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:55 pm
The Meat man wrote:
The Z-Wear Shamans have not been released yet. Are you complaining about something that hasn't even happened?

I understand that this sort of marketing appeals to some but it is lost on me. There are too many things I prioritize ahead of watching my email for an announcement of a knife being available to order so I can participate in the rush.

What will likely happen is that the thing will be released and a couple of weeks later I will find out, largely by accident. They'll be sold out and if I convince myself I really want one to try I will buy it from the secondary market. The fact that it is "limited" or otherwise hard to get isn't really a factor as I am not a collector. I just like the Shaman pattern OK and really like Z Wear. But not enough to stop whatever I am doing to place an order.

That's a lot of words just to complain about something.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

citori wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

Well it's up to you of course to determine whether or not it's worth your time. :) I do sympathize though because not all of us (myself included) can always afford to dedicate the time necessary. However, I have a feeling it'll be a little easier this time because 1) It's virtually identical to an already-existing Sprint Run, so maybe those who got the Cru-Wear version won't be lining up for this one, and 2) Sal has said that they are making a LOT more of these than they did of the Cru-Wear ones.

Either way, I hope it works out for you this time. ;) As others have said, the Forum here is probably your best bet for up-to-date- information.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

citori wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

I do understand your frustration, but remember that spyderco is releasing this model specifically in response to customer frustration over the limited run of cruwear micarta Shamans. They had no idea how popular that model would be, so they're trying to meet that demand again, and trying to satisfy their customers. I'm pretty sure this will be a bigger run than before. I also think there's a good possibility we'll see other micarta Shamans in the future, too. Maybe even another in PD#1. No need to get upset in advance.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TheFrozenCelt

Post by TheFrozenCelt »

Dear SpyderSanta,

I have been a very good boy. I live in Fairbanks Alaska which is right next to Northpole! I apologize for shooting a reindeer this year but my wife and I must eat. Hope it wasn't one of yours! My wife makes a delicious Caribou stew and we'd love to have you over to try some. Anyway, wanted to let you know I've been a **** fine lad this year considering all the things going on. Was hoping for that pretty Shaman this year.
Yours truly, TheFrozenCelt

PS my wife made some awesome cookies for you.
"It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." -Mithrandir
blues

Post by blues »

- Retired from the chase -
archangel

Post by archangel »

TheFrozenCelt wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:27 pm
Dear SpyderSanta,

I have been a very good boy. I live in Fairbanks Alaska which is right next to Northpole! I apologize for shooting a reindeer this year but my wife and I must eat. Hope it wasn't one of yours! My wife makes a delicious Caribou stew and we'd love to have you over to try some. Anyway, wanted to let you know I've been a **** fine lad this year considering all the things going on. Was hoping for that pretty Shaman this year.
Yours truly, TheFrozenCelt

PS my wife made some awesome cookies for you.

:D You made my day!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
kobold

Post by kobold »

Sadly, I cancelled my preorder for this knife after I tested different locks with thick, lined gloves the other day. Because of its weight, I have no use for the Shaman in summer months. Well, hey, more for you, guys :-)

Best-to-worst to unlock, IME, is a backlock, able/axis/cbbl, frame lock/liner lock and lastly, compression lock.
I tend to avoid slip joints.

I used Bundeswehr type leather gloves. YMMV.

I don't think the compression locks are absolutely impossible to operate, but in some instances it is just faster and safer to take off the gloves, manipulate the knife and put the gloves back on. And that is not efficient. Thin gloves work fine, but they are often not enough in winter.. I think a fixed blade is the ultimate for outdoor, winter use.

Another deciding factor was the protruding finger choil in the compression lock area. It is noticeable with the PM2, and unfortunately, it is more pronounced in the Shaman..

Nevertheless, I am still excited to try the Military and the Native Chief eventually.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Gil P.

Post by Gil P. »

I've never had a compression lock before. I'm hoping it's not uncomfortable to really bear down on it when trying to cut something. When using a spyderco native 5, I would engage the back lock and the knife would try to close when trying to remove it from what I was cutting. It doesn't look like the compression lock will do that though...
eonbluemantra

Post by eonbluemantra »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:07 pm
Hi Archangel,

I think you should see some the end of the year, unless the schedule is changed due to COVID.

sal
Sal, can you tell us at all of the schedule has changed? Are we now looking at 2021?

Thank you for your time.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Gil P. wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:12 am
I've never had a compression lock before. I'm hoping it's not uncomfortable to really bear down on it when trying to cut something. When using a spyderco native 5, I would engage the back lock and the knife would try to close when trying to remove it from what I was cutting. It doesn't look like the compression lock will do that though...
Holy cow, you must have monster grip strength! I tried to reproduce the "unlock while gripping" issue with both N5 LW and G10 versions and could only do it by laying my thumb over the lock cutout.

I'd suggest sticking with fixed blades ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Gil P.

Post by Gil P. »

Haha I don't think I have any more than average grip strength. Maybe my hand shape puts a lot of pressure on the back lock area?

How's the edge geometry and spine thickness on the Shaman? I often have to make deep cuts on stuff at work. I have been using my Lil Sub Hilt for a few years, and while it's comfortable, it doesn't cut things very easily due to the thick spine. What's intrigued me about the shaman the most are, a comfortable grip, and full flat grind blade with a high performance steel.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gil P. wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:51 am
Haha I don't think I have any more than average grip strength. Maybe my hand shape puts a lot of pressure on the back lock area?

How's the edge geometry and spine thickness on the Shaman? I often have to make deep cuts on stuff at work. I have been using my Lil Sub Hilt for a few years, and while it's comfortable, it doesn't cut things very easily due to the thick spine. What's intrigued me about the shaman the most are, a comfortable grip, and full flat grind blade with a high performance steel.

It'll slice significantly better than a Sub Hilt but not as good as other thinner models. Even though it's FFG it's ground a bit thicker than a Military for example, it's overall more on the beefier harder use side than an all out slicer. As for the lock I do get a hot spot on my palm when really using compression locks hard. It's really only an issue when I'm carving or cutting things that really require a lot of force.

This is a Caribbean but same lock, after whittling on a stick for a while.

The Shaman is much more comfortable overall since the scales are so much smoother and contoured but the lock does still wear in the same way after enough hard use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Squidlauncher

Post by Squidlauncher »

Merry Christmas everyone! Happy z wear Shaman hunting in the new year (hopefully)! Not to be confused with the z hunter.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Knifecenter already announced that prices will go up on 01.01.2021 . Currently they list this must-have beauty at $224 (MSRP $320). I wonder how much more it'll cost when it's actually available........ :confused:

Only 3 spydies are on my "planned acquisition list" for 2021. This one, the SpyOpera, and a Maxamet Sage 1. It'll still be an expensive Spyderco year, given that these 3 are not really cheap - now even more... :(
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
eonbluemantra

Post by eonbluemantra »

Any updates when we can roughly expect this to drop? First quarter?