How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pokey

Re: How Do Your Factory Seconds Look?

Post by Pokey »

anycal wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:53 pm

Could be that they ran out of the seconds inventory, and pulled a regular one out of the box? :D

I have a theory that some of the 2nds may only have one part on them that doesn’t meet spec, and all the rest of the parts are 1st quality.

If they find a warped blade it probably gets set aside as a 2nd. Spyderco probably doesn’t wait for other parts that are 2nds to assemble the knife, otherwise it may sit around for a long time taking up space.

I made the original post and other than the way the blade looks on my PM 2, it works just like a first quality PM 2.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:24 pm
NarwhalisnotKosher wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:49 pm

I can't figure out why it's a second. A couple minor snail trails? Edges of the scales look great,blade is straight, locks up perfectly, and the grind is even.
Forget the Spydiechef! What about that Shiro?? ;)
That's what I was thinking too

I've been eyeballing that one &/or the little Shiro Neon NL for awhile now. Probably won't happen now after the seconds sale haha. I also have some more rifle gear to buy. Can't do it all :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tcd511

Post by tcd511 »

I would love to know what they look like but since getting my order confirmation from my Friday order I still haven't gotten anything showing the order has been filled and shipped. Starting to think I may actually not get them.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

tcd511 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:06 pm
I would love to know what they look like but since getting my order confirmation from my Friday order I still haven't gotten anything showing the order has been filled and shipped. Starting to think I may actually not get them.

Try searching your email for "UPS". The notifications might have gotten lost somewhere, even in the spam folder.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I just got my Yojimbo 2 today and to be honest I’ve yet to find anything that I think would make it a second. It looks perfect as far as I can tell. There’s a tiny scratch at the very base of the blade adjacent to the handle but it’s barely noticeable. That’s some amazing QC if that makes it a second. Thanks for the awesome knife, Spyderco crew!
OppositeJay

Post by OppositeJay »

My 3 PM2 in Camo are all really good, only 1 has an obvious flaw as it’s just a bit shorter at the tip than it’s supposed to be. The other 2 are more or less perfect. They had marks on the G10 but they wiped off. They are going to be great users with Spyderco’s excellent HT on S30V and I am over the moon to have scored them for $53 each! Have 2 Maxamet Para 3 on the way tomorrow. I missed out on the Yojimbo and that is my biggest regret. Anyone that wants to trade/sell one I would appreciate a PM!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi OpposiiteJay,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I received my first order yesterday, Yojimbo 2 G10/Satin and can't find a thing wrong with it. It's awesome so far as it was a model I was always on the fence about trying and never did. Well for $66 it's a no brainer! If I can weaken the detent a little bit I think it will be a great user. Also so excited to see two stickers and cloth tote bag with my order!
Thanks Sypderco! :D

Now to see what my second order arriving today looks like with my Maxamet PM2, hoping it looks good as I've got a trade deal for a Para 3 in the works. I just don't like the PM2.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Cscottsss wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:00 am
I received my first order yesterday, Yojimbo 2 G10/Satin and can't find a thing wrong with it. It's awesome so far as it was a model I was always on the fence about trying and never did. Well for $66 it's a no brainer! If I can weaken the detent a little bit I think it will be a great user. Also so excited to see two stickers and cloth tote bag with my order!
Thanks Sypderco! :D

Now to see what my second order arriving today looks like with my Maxamet PM2, hoping it looks good as I've got a trade deal for a Para 3 in the works. I just don't like the PM2.
Nice!! The Yojimbo sat for a little bit and I was VERY TEMPTED by it. Glad to see, at least yours in great condition!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Bahh! UPS has been telling me "Friday delivery" all week, but the latest tracking update still puts my Military at least a day out.. oh well.. hopefully I'll be able to offer some feedback tomorrow! In the meantime, I'm really enjoying this thread, thank you all for sharing! The condition of most of the knives is very encouraging :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
PStone

Post by PStone »

Question: Does being a factory second prohibit a knife from being serviced at all in Golden? Can one pay the service fee and have work done? Or is that a no go?

For example, a person gets a second, tries to fiddle with it and strips a screw. Can they send it in with the usual $20 service fee and $5 return shipping?
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

ramasipsc wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:38 pm
That open post PM2 with maxamet blade wrap is bad. Hope my 2 PM2 will not look like that. Those blades should be destroyed.

*Edited for family friendliness. TazKristi*
Hey ramasipsc,

I'm the original poster of this thread. Yes, the blade looks bad, because we're used to seeing straight blades on brand new knives. Like I said in my original post I knew I was buying factory 2nds and it was a roll of the dice as to what I'd get from the Sale. The PM 2 I got performs 100%.

I took the knives to work and showed a coworker the two I got from the Sale. He and I have been to the in person Sales in the past. He looked them over, flicked them open and closed and didn't see anything wrong with either of them. I pointed out the little scuff mark on the Tenacious and the blade on the PM 2. His response was, "So,?"

The PM 2 will be a knife I won't baby. I'm not going to abuse it either, but I will put it to good use to see just how the Maxamet holds up.

With the reviews rolling in as people get their knives delivered it sounds like people are having a hard time seeing any defects at all.

Here's hoping that when you get your factory 2nds you'll have a hard time telling why it's a 2nd. Let us know. ;)
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

PStone wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:16 am
Question: Does being a factory second prohibit a knife from being serviced at all in Golden? Can one pay the service fee and have work done? Or is that a no go?

For example, a person gets a second, tries to fiddle with it and strips a screw. Can they send it in with the usual $20 service fee and $5 return shipping?
You can call the SFO and ask, they'll let you know.
tcd511

Post by tcd511 »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:25 am
tcd511 wrote:

Try searching your email for "UPS". The notifications might have gotten lost somewhere, even in the spam folder.
Did all that and sadly there is nothing. I check the credit card I used and there is no charge showing for what I bought either.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

tcd511 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:34 am
nerdlock wrote:
tcd511 wrote:

Did all that and sadly there is nothing. I check the credit card I used and there is no charge showing for what I bought either.

If you got an email confirmation probably they're processing it but are delayed due to the overwhelming orders. I'd suggest emailing customer support or PMing the mods here with your concern... (I hope they processed it :))
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
tcd511

Post by tcd511 »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:38 am
tcd511 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:34 am
nerdlock wrote:
tcd511 wrote:

If you got an email confirmation probably they're processing it but are delayed due to the overwhelming orders. I'd suggest emailing customer support or PMing the mods here with your concern... (I hope they processed it :))
Took your advice and pm'd someone so let's see where that goes. come to find out your not charged until it's processed. Keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for taking the time.
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

I have gone over the ones I received and can’t find any reasons for them being second quality. Just goes to show once again how strict Spydie standards really are. So happy to have finally had the opportunity to participate in the seconds sale. Thank you to all the Spyderco crew for making it possible!
flmosinman124

Post by flmosinman124 »

My Shaman is perfect.
Attachments
788602FC-84F0-48B5-8630-5A969BEF17FD.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

Got the last of mine in the mail today and they all get a thumbs up. Blast from the past having another DLC Para 2!
:unicorn
NorthShoreBoiBoi

Post by NorthShoreBoiBoi »

My siren and waterway just have some minor chipping on the g10. Other than that they seem perfect