C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChopSliceStab

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Does the blade shape rule out certain steels? It's tough to envision in a matte blade finish, but maybe I'm too hung up on the look of the original. I feel like it should even have a yellow spyder on the clip. :D
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:50 pm
Heck the more I think about it I bet SPY27 might just be a great choice. I've been wanting to get a blade made with it and this would be a great option.

One reason why I think it may not be SPY27 is that the maker needs to work with the steel first before they use it, right? SPY27 is a newer steel (and it seems to be in limited supply), which leads me to believe that it may not be that steel. I hope I am wrong. Seki has worked with S30V, Cru-Wear, K390, 204P, what else am I missing? One of those steels might be a better choice.
benben

Post by benben »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:16 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:04 pm
If there is a new/different blade steel I would love to know what they decided on.

I think Sal is going to let us guess for a bit longer. Instead of guessing what I think the configuration will most likely be (black G10), I'm going to agree with benben that I want it to come in blue G10 and SPY27. Second guess is maroon G10 and Cru-Wear.
I've 100% had my mind made up on a serrated Ayoob, but honestly I don't care, your second guess of maroon and Cru-wear in plain edge would be perfectly fine with me! Has there ever been any Cru-wear in serrated edge?

Who am I kidding :rolleyes: .......I want a serrated Ayoob!! I already have one in PE.
benben

Post by benben »

ChopSliceStab wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:05 pm
Does the blade shape rule out certain steels? It's tough to envision in a matte blade finish, but maybe I'm too hung up on the look of the original. I feel like it should even have a yellow spyder on the clip. :D
If it doesn't have the yellow bug, I'm going to be sorely disappointed! I've brought up that suggestion several time in this thread!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

JD Spydo wrote:
Just so it isn't something ancient like GIn-1, AUS-8 or 440A
But what if it's something ancient like S60V?
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

PayneTrain wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:14 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
See what Sal has said on S60V. They will no longer use it.
sal wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 am
Hi Shawn,

Spyderco was the first production company to use Crucibles particle metallurgy in production knives. I personally went to Crucible with crew to begin the project in the mid 90's. We began with S60V while is was still being called CPM 440V. We had no problem getting it hard, but in a hi 50's to low 60's it was so brittle that it would crack if dropped on concrete. We continue to experiment until we reached the conclusion that 55/56 worked best for the steel in knife blades. In the end, we dropped it. It was too hard to sharpen for customers, though edge retention was good. I don't think we would use it again.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PayneTrain wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:14 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
I wouldn't mind S60V for Spyderedges but not for plain edges. I would rather try this SPY-27 for plain edges. Because 440V (S60V) has proven itself for serrated edges but for plain edges I've found better. I could use my 440V, SE Native for really brutal jobs and it wouldn't chip a bit. It would endure some major punishment in SE. I still watch out for old Spyders with SE, 440V blades when I can find them.

And Sal wasn't lying at all when he pretty much said that 440V (S60V) is a monster to sharpen>> BECAUSE IT IS A MONSTER TO SHARPEN :eek: . I actually learned new curse words at times I would sharpen those 440V blades :D
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:08 pm
One reason why I think it may not be SPY27 is that the maker needs to work with the steel first before they use it, right? SPY27 is a newer steel (and it seems to be in limited supply), which leads me to believe that it may not be that steel. I hope I am wrong. Seki has worked with S30V, Cru-Wear, K390, 204P, what else am I missing? One of those steels might be a better choice.
I was thinking this same thing. The only one I know you missed is LC200N. The new green Pac Salt 2 is made in Japan and uses it. Also, I wouldn't think it would be K390. That's European and Sal said the steel has to be shipped from America to Japan. I mean, they could ship it to the U.S. first and then to Japan, but that seems unlikely. I guess I'm not sure where LC200N comes from so I don't know if that's feasible either.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:57 pm
I guess I'm not sure where LC200N comes from so I don't know if that's feasible either.
It's made by a German company called ZAPP.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:49 am
I'd be surprised if it didn't set a record time in being sold out.

Once we get a drop date I'm taking that day off work. I'm not playing games with this one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I would be very surprised if this is a fast seller and hard to get. I think those who want one, will get one easily.
-Nick :bug-red
benben

Post by benben »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:36 am
I would be very surprised if this is a fast seller and hard to get. I think those who want one, will get one easily.
I can easily see your point, in the big picture how many people know who Massad Ayoob is? How many people outside of here know about this sprint that JD has lobbied sooo hard for? And how many people actually know there's such a thing as a C60 Ayoob knife to start with?

But I ain't taking no chances!! I want to be able to say I've been a part of this entire process from start to finish, that includes me securing this C60 sprint the day they're released! You may be very right.....but what if you're not? :eek:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

benben wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:05 am
Mushroom wrote:
I can easily see your point, in the big picture how many people know who Massad Ayoob is? How many people outside of here know about this sprint that JD has lobbied sooo hard for? And how many people actually know there's such a thing as a C60 Ayoob knife to start with?

But I ain't taking no chances!! I want to be able to say I've been a part of this entire process from start to finish, that includes me securing this C60 sprint the day they're released! You may be very right.....but what if you're not? :eek:
Then I better be ready to buy when they're released as well! :D

Don't get me wrong though, after hearing JD's pitch for this knife, there is no way I can't try it out!
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:28 am
bearrowland wrote:

Once we get a drop date I'm taking that day off work. I'm not playing games with this one.
Being available in SE & PE both will speed up sales for sure. I'm actually amazed at how many people want the SE version this time around. They didn't even offer SE in the 2011 Sprint Run. Isn't interesting how the market completely changed in less than 10 years?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:14 am
Evil D wrote:
bearrowland wrote:

Being available in SE & PE both will speed up sales for sure. I'm actually amazed at how many people want the SE version this time around. They didn't even offer SE in the 2011 Sprint Run. Isn't interesting how the market completely changed in less than 10 years?

I think there's been a lot of light shed on the realities of SE use and sharpening that has opened peoples' eyes. I think this is also a model that just goes hand in hand with SE, sort of how a hawkbill is just plain better with serrations. Some people may also be looking at the resale value of previous runs and are speculating what these may be worth in a few years.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:11 am
benben wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Then I better be ready to buy when they're released as well! :D

Don't get me wrong though, after hearing JD's pitch for this knife, there is no way I can't try it out!
Dude!! you will love this C-60 Ayoob model. If you've never tried and used one before then you will be amazed at the ergos and overall efficiency.

Almost any cutting job you would encounter with this C-60 Folder>> trust me it will do a nice job. But being you're into knives as much as you are I would advise getting both edge types. The serrated version of the C-60 cuts as good as any Spyderco model I've ever used in SE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Hey Mushroom I'm not trying to be disagreeable with you. But ask anyone who was around when they released the 2011 Sprint Run of the C-60. Even those were not around very long after their release. After about 4 months after the release I had two other friends that wanted one and I was only able to find one more. I've not been able to get any more of those 2011 Sprint Run C-60s since then either ( Unless you want to pay horrible Ebay prices for one). Ask anyone whose tried to find one in recent years if you don't believe me.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:26 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:14 am
Evil D wrote:
bearrowland wrote:

I think there's been a lot of light shed on the realities of SE use and sharpening that has opened peoples' eyes. I think this is also a model that just goes hand in hand with SE, sort of how a hawkbill is just plain better with serrations. Some people may also be looking at the resale value of previous runs and are speculating what these may be worth in a few years.
It just confirms what I've said about that knife from the "get-go". That C-60 Ayoob design truly was ahead of it's time. I haven't seen or used any folder I can really compare it to since it's release. Oh sure that one big Szabo folder has some similarities but they are very different when you look at them closely. Massad Ayoob did such a great job on that design I would love to see him design another folder at some point.

Actually I would like to talk to Mr. Ayoob about doing a fixed blade version of the C-60 :cool:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree 100 percent! Looks like I'm feeling ill that day :D
benben wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearrowland wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:39 am
I agree 100 percent! Looks like I'm feeling ill that day :D
benben wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

All of those points...the same applies to every sprint that sells out in 5 minutes. Those same people likely know about this run too.
~David