Recs for Self Defense while running/biking?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PayneTrain

Re: Recs for Self Defense while running/biking?

Post by PayneTrain »

Best self defense while running? Run faster!

Really though, if I carry a knife running it's the Pacific Salt. They're linerless so they're very light for their size, and rustproof so my sweat doesn't destroy them. I clip it inside the waistband of my shorts and it works great. The Tasman would be even lighter and easier to carry. I may even make the switch myself!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I was going to reply here much sooner, but I got preoccupied with something where I'm much more knowledgeable and my advice was much more valuable, so prioritizing was easy.

I don't know much about self defense, but I have been running and CC skiing a fair bit with knives.
Just to have a knife with you, the Dragonfly 2 (salt) is fantastic. Incredibly light, but still quite capable (for regular cutting tasks). I carry it IWB and never notice it's there. The DF2 is the only knife in existence I have in 3 versions. That's how much I like it.
The Native salt has been mentioned a few times, and that's probably what I would recommend as well. Not because it's the best self defense knife under 3", it probably isn't, but it's a knife that does a lot of things good enough. It probably doesn't suck too much at SD either, so it seems like a good option for a universally useful knife that also could be used in a SD situation if it ever came to that. It's a pretty stout knife that also provides a secure grip. It carries very light and works well for a variety of tasks.

I often carry a knife, but never with the intent of self defense. If it came down to it, I would probably use what I had on me, if I felt that it could improve my situation, but I can't imagine a lot of situations where that would be the case.

From your latest post, I don't get the impression you're in imminent danger and that's good. Your best protection is planning and avoiding obvious treats. I live in the same peaceful and quiet area of the earth as @Sonorum. For the most part we don't even have dangerous animals around here, so the topic of self defense is never on my mind. Strangely enough this most basic need, and I wanna say human right, is not even allowed here. I think it's a shame, but it is what it is, and if I ever felt then need to carry a weapon for self defense I would. I'll rather be alive in prison than law abiding and dead.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Thunderpants wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:03 am
Where I live, there have been several incidences recently of someone trying to drag school kids into a mini van. Naturally this is pretty upsetting as my daughter has a train ride/bike ride journey to school each day. My wife immediately purchased pepper spray and a portable alarm but my feeling was the pepper spray is a complete waste of time. I imagine the chances of a frightened 12 year old kid finding the courage to use it properly (and not inadvertantly blind herself) vanishingly small. I think the alarm (very loud and shrill) would be more effective but even that is tricky to deploy as it has a pin, like a grenade, which needs to be pulled out. (Obviously knives and guns aren't going to be an option here!)
My conclusion is, our kid's biggest advantage is she's on a bike. Never stop, and if anything weird happens, peddle like crazy. This feels like feeble advice but it's pretty much the best advice I can give her.
Apart from anything else, it's utterly shameful for our species in general that women and children can't feel safe going from A to B.
As far as an adult is concerned, I would think a knife (for self defence) is only worth having if you are really prepared to use it. Pulling a knife and looking like you're too scared to do anything with it probably isn't going to help anyone. On the other hand, pulling a knife and looking like you were itching to practice some deadly skills could get you in a whole different kind of trouble. I can imagine situations where having a knife would be the difference between life and death - for instance, being able to cut cable ties, vs not being able to cut them - but trying to kill/maim one's way out of trouble would presumably be the very last resort. For these reasons, my choice would be a smaller knife that you're familiar with in ordinary life, one without a weird shape that is more likely to hurt you than anyone else, something that doesn't draw attention to itself in any way, but which will cut when required to. A lightweight Native in other words. (Or something that gives even more blade length without becoming bulkier and heavier, if there is such a thing)
This is some thing I worry more and more about every day as I have a two-year-old now. Something I noticed when I was a kid going to school was...

I would see some houses with a sign that says “safe place” or something along those lines. This indicates that if Something bad happens a child has a safe place they can run to in an emergency. I think this is a great idea. I’m not sure if it’s still done though. You may just try and call the school or local police department to see if this is still a thing. Seems like a good idea to me.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I mountain bike pretty often, and I do so fairly aggressively (always trying to beat my best time) so I work up a good sweat. I carry a serrated Pacific Salt inside the waisteband of my soft athletic pants and it works perfectly. Its so light that I seriously forget its there, its out of the way on my waist where stuff in the pocket tends to swing around and get annoying, and its corrosion resistance is great because everytime I get out of the woods and take it off my waistband, the side of the blade that was against my body is covered with (presumably salty) condensation. I just wipe the condensation off and put it back in the drawer until next time I go out biking and the blade looks like new. Also, the backlock is nice for safety carrying IWB due to the "self-close" bias. So, my vote is absolutely for something in the salt line, if the Pacific Salt (same size as an Endura) is a little big there's the Salt 2, or the Hawkbilled Tasman (both the size of a Delica). If you are looking at this specifically for self defense, a Salt 2 Wharncliffe or Tasman may be a better choice, but I doubt the Pacific Salt would leave you feeling unprepared.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:16 am
I would see some houses with a sign that says “safe place” or something along those lines. This indicates that if Something bad happens a child has a safe place they can run to in an emergency.
Yes this sounds like a good idea. The only problem is, who makes sure those places really are safe and not traps set up by weirdos!
Sadly a lot of things to worry about these days. (Probably twas ever thus!)
loadedquestion

Post by loadedquestion »

swick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

loadedquestion wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:57 pm
swick
i'm looking forward to the new swick.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

I honestly would say, if you want a folding knife for SD, you should probably have an emerson wave feature on it. Unless you are absolutely certain that you will be able to deploy the knife quickly and with consistency, it can become a factor in a stressful scenario.

Of course, a delica is going to weigh a bit in running shorts, and that is probably the minimum you would want to carry. But I still think it is worth it’s weight.

As micheal janich says, having a trainer is very important when it comes to using a knife for self defense. If you cannot practice with the knife for a self defense situation, it is almost useless. You really need to prepare and practice before usage in self defense, or you might get hurt more than if you were just using your bare hands.

My best suggestion for a self defense knife for jogging would be a keen awareness of your surroundings and to run away from the fight at any cost. But if you need a knife and the situation arises, I think the emerson delica is a great choice. Also VG-10 should do fine against sweat.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Thunderpants wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:30 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:16 am
I would see some houses with a sign that says “safe place” or something along those lines. This indicates that if Something bad happens a child has a safe place they can run to in an emergency.
Yes this sounds like a good idea. The only problem is, who makes sure those places really are safe and not traps set up by weirdos!
Sadly a lot of things to worry about these days. (Probably twas ever thus!)
Agreed ^

I have no idea what would qualify someone to be eligible. I’m I could be wrong but I think the safe place signs were hung by stay at home people who have children going to the school/s near by. Maybe they had CPS check it out first, I don’t know. Either way it was a thing in the 1980s and 90s when I was a kid... the world is quite a different place now to say the least.

The “Quick Trip” gas stations here have similar safe place signs hanging right now.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”