Spyderco Online Seconds Sale FAQ

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Colorodo

Re: Spyderco Online Seconds Sale FAQ

Post by Colorodo »

Let’s see this is happening because of Covid-19 how could you prepare for that? We should be lucky that Spyderco is hosting this online instead of reading about it after the Golden event is over and wishing we had got some. It is three days long. You will get something eventually. Good luck.
Last edited by Colorodo on Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYLife

Post by NYLife »

Nothing to do with cry babies, but the site was down most of the day, I am not sure what success looks like but sure it is not the site being down, or people spending hours to try and add 1 item to a cart only for it to be out of stock. Is this a huge undertaking, absolutely? Have the team done an amazing job, not knowing from an IT perspective what was done, I can not tell you. has it been a success that still remains to be seen with 2 days to go. I think more communication will help to let people know that new batches will be posted. So far every time something new was posted, the site instantly went down. not sure how much time people have on their hands to pretty much do nothing all day but hit the refresh button?
Be stronger than your excuses
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

Hey kristi, do you know it any more factory seconds will be released?
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:17 am
DaHolla wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:16 am
Come on! Nobody prepared for this? I’ve been waiting 10 years for this and nobody even thought to upgrade their servers?
DaHolla wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:31 am
Cut them slack? Why should I? I’m a valued customer that was ready to fly to Colorado for this and they can’t even prepare correctly?
DaHolla wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:41 am
Lol. I stated that they should’ve prepared for this. This is a business who should’ve known better.
Hi, DaHolla:
I apologize for your disappointment, but you're making some assumptions that just aren't true. Perhaps it's worth a reminder that up until less than 4 weeks ago (with a holiday in the middle), the Seconds Sale was going to be in-person (only). I can assure you (and everyone else who's asked, or surmised what we did or didn't do) that we were as prepared as anyone could be. Truthfully, we could have just canceled the in-person event and said, "See you in 2021!"

The Seconds Sale is one of the highlights of our year - we LOVE seeing our customers and it's become a fantastic, unique, and beloved event. We knew it would be an insane undertaking to do something we've never done before - take the Seconds Sale online - and do it all in less than one month. Our team took the challenge and quite frankly, IMHO, did an awesome job bringing this to fruition. Has it been perfect? Nope. But we'll continue to do our best and adapt.

We welcome all feedback, we always have, but I'm too proud of our team and what we've accomplished (and I think the thousands of customers who successfully placed orders would agree) to just let it go.

Make it a good day!

Kristi

Hahaha wow this guy needs to take a walk around the block. First, and foremost THANK YOU SPYDERCO CREW FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN. I finally can participate in the Second Sale this year, and it is thrilling. I already scored two paramiltary 2s and a ronin 2 so far. I'm trying to get a Spyderco in everyone's hands this year lol.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Hey, I don't care how "difficult" the online sale is from the buyer's perspective; it is a LOT easier than traveling to Colorado and waiting in line overnight in December weather.

Sheesh, how entitled we have become. No, I didn't get a knife yesterday. No, I'm not complaining. The effort was exceedingly minor in comparison to the time and expense of a 30 hr road trip.

Any time I "lose" checking the website is on me. If I weren't so greedy I could buy any of these knives at full price.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:08 am
Hey, I don't care how "difficult" the online sale is from the buyer's perspective; it is a LOT easier than traveling to Colorado and waiting in line overnight in December weather.

Sheesh, how entitled we have become. No, I didn't get a knife yesterday. No, I'm not complaining. The effort was exceedingly minor in comparison to the time and expense of a 30 hr road trip.

Any time I "lose" checking the website is on me. If I weren't so greedy I could buy any of these knives at full price.

Ha, lucky for you continentals you only have to "deal" with the hours or days long road trip or maybe plane trip, and not have to spend among others, the cost of an international plane trip (or several depending if you can get a direct or connecting flight), the cost of applying for an entry visa (which is not cheap I assure everyone), the uncertainty of waiting for your visa interview whether you are allowed entry to the continent or not, the hotel expenses and incidental expenses. :eek:

I agree with Bolster, some of the folks here have become so accustomed to their bubble that they have forgotten that Spyderco is not only serving US customers, but international also as well. And that some if not most of us, given the opportunity would also love to be able to go there in Golden for the live sale, but are not blessed to be born in the USA. So despite all the troubles, majority of us are happy that we have been able to participate in the seconds sale at all, and hats off and many thanks to Kristi, Sal, and the rest of the Golden family for pulling this off.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

New knives added and go...
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

I may have bought two knives, or no knives. Each time it crashed after I entered my credit card info...
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

Well said Kristi. You guys made a tough call and went/are going above and beyond. Thank you and the crew for doing this.
TazKristi wrote:
DaHolla wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:16 am
Come on! Nobody prepared for this? I’ve been waiting 10 years for this and nobody even thought to upgrade their servers?
DaHolla wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:31 am
Cut them slack? Why should I? I’m a valued customer that was ready to fly to Colorado for this and they can’t even prepare correctly?
DaHolla wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:41 am
Lol. I stated that they should’ve prepared for this. This is a business who should’ve known better.
Hi, DaHolla:
I apologize for your disappointment, but you're making some assumptions that just aren't true. Perhaps it's worth a reminder that up until less than 4 weeks ago (with a holiday in the middle), the Seconds Sale was going to be in-person (only). I can assure you (and everyone else who's asked, or surmised what we did or didn't do) that we were as prepared as anyone could be. Truthfully, we could have just canceled the in-person event and said, "See you in 2021!"

The Seconds Sale is one of the highlights of our year - we LOVE seeing our customers and it's become a fantastic, unique, and beloved event. We knew it would be an insane undertaking to do something we've never done before - take the Seconds Sale online - and do it all in less than one month. Our team took the challenge and quite frankly, IMHO, did an awesome job bringing this to fruition. Has it been perfect? Nope. But we'll continue to do our best and adapt.

We welcome all feedback, we always have, but I'm too proud of our team and what we've accomplished (and I think the thousands of customers who successfully placed orders would agree) to just let it go.

Make it a good day!

Kristi
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yeah, I may have bought 8 all the same (2 knives times 4 tries) or none at all. So far, the bank says none.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:08 am

Good perspective.

For me to simply travel to Golden would cost at least a couple hundred, whether I drove or flew.

Might be frustrating having to enter card #'s multiple times or refresh a page 20 times to get it to load, but that beats dealing with airports or interstate traffic :)

Either way seems things are running more smoothly than this time yesterday. I'm excited to see what's in the next batch of knives.
:unicorn
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

AGH! Can't believe I missed the blurple Military! :( Hopefully they throw a few more of those up later.

Yeah I mean what do people want Spyderco to do, invest in a massive infrastructure upgrade for this one event? They did the best they can, and it is what it is. It's a pain in the ***, you're probably not gonna get everything you want, so it's really up to you whether or not it's worth the struggle. Personally I'm barely trying anymore because I just can't be connected to the internet enough to really compete due to having a traditional work schedule inside a building that is effectively a huge farraday cage, but that's really ok. It'll be cool if I do happen to land something, but if not at least I didn't lose any more of what precious little hair I have left over it.

Also, if this kinda thing really frustrates you, the only real thing you can do is not support flippers. They're not that hard to spot. If you're getting what seems like a good deal from a third party on a rare item, try and find out why. These people make a lot of money using sophisticated methods to acquire all kinds of goods and sell them all over the internet, and since it's not illegal the only way to discourage it is to decrease demand. Buy from reputable retailers and trustworthy third parties, and if you're not sure, don't buy it. You'll live. That's my sermon for the day.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

A suggestion:
Maybe a way to add more than one knife to the cart from the front page? I added a Z-Cut right off the bat, then tried to go back to see what else was there, and it timed out (and emptied my cart).
Then I tried to buy a Sun/Moon Chap twice, but didn't dare go back to add the Z-Cut I wanted because it might time out again. But then both attempts to buy the Chap seemed to have timed out after entering my credit card info.
No confirming emails, yet, so I'm assuming they didn't go through (or are stuck in a spam filter because new account is a different email).
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

donutsrule wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:43 am
A suggestion:
Maybe a way to add more than one knife to the cart from the front page? I added a Z-Cut right off the bat, then tried to go back to see what else was there, and it timed out (and emptied my cart).
Then I tried to buy a Sun/Moon Chap twice, but didn't dare go back to add the Z-Cut I wanted because it might time out again. But then both attempts to buy the Chap seemed to have timed out after entering my credit card info.
No confirming emails, yet, so I'm assuming they didn't go through (or are stuck in a spam filter because new account is a different email).
Here's something that might help: keep the sale page loaded and when you want to click on any particular model, right click (or long-press on a mobile screen) and open it in a new tab/window. That way you never lose the sale page and you can try and load multiple models at once on different tabs. Probably won't help much cuz they can easily just all fail to load, but it at least saves you from trying to reload the main page.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

PayneTrain wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:52 am
Here's something that might help: keep the sale page loaded and when you want to click on any particular model, right click (or long-press on a mobile screen) and open it in a new tab/window. That way you never lose the sale page and you can try and load multiple models at once on different tabs. Probably won't help much cuz they can easily just all fail to load, but it at least saves you from trying to reload the main page.
It's worth a shot. Thanks! :)
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

I have had the error page after entering my card number too. I just kept resubmitting the form and eventually (15-20mins?) it goes through, and then I got the email confirmation right away.

Losing out on a knife is one thing, having to reverse multiple charges with the card companies would be insult to injury. Good luck, guys.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

PayneTrain wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:19 am
Yeah I mean what do people want Spyderco to do, invest in a massive infrastructure upgrade for this one event?

Exactly! Payne gets it.
Trigger_GSP

Post by Trigger_GSP »

Kristi, How many knives are typically at the in person sale? It always seems like a lot.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm not her, but I calculated 20,000 to 30,000. That's an estimate based on the approximate number of trays on the tables at any given time plus the approximate number of trays under the tables times the number of knives each tray will hold and allowing for multiple new trays being brought out throughout the day.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:11 pm
PayneTrain wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:19 am
Yeah I mean what do people want Spyderco to do, invest in a massive infrastructure upgrade for this one event?

Exactly! Payne gets it.
Well not quite. I mean as a CS person I know that there are options available for temporary increases in bandwidth thru services like AWS.

Honestly this sale has been more frustrating than anything. I think it’s just been a chance for resellers to stock up using bots by regular users can’t get access to the site. I really do appreciate Spyderco trying to make this work but tbh they could have made it work a whole lot better. Thanks for trying tho. I really do appreciate the chance but it's just not worked out for me at least.