Can we (civilly) discuss fixed blade prices?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Re: Can we (civilly) discuss fixed blade prices?

Post by yablanowitz »

So much for civil discission. :rolleyes:

Remember, guys and gals, for every one of us here, there are a thousand people out there who think $20 is a lot of money for a knife.
Gsg9 wrote: The example with Zoomer :D
Ship steel to Taiwan, probably pay some import taxes in there on american steel
Have it made in Taiwan, I presume not cheap, it's Taiwan, not China
Import the finite product and probably pay import taxes back in the States on the taiwanese finite product.
Then add sheath from Spain, price of the sheath plus import taxes.
Add quality control/labeling/packaging etc in Golden.
Don't forget the literature :D
Pay salaries to people describing us how complicated this overall process is.
Add profit.
Then from distributors to dealers back to distributors then back to dealers distilled in several rounds of applause.

There's no wonder it has MRSP 600 and is sold for 420 on BladeHQ.
Probably at least twice it's worth as a knife.

You're basically paying for materials being shipped around the world and import taxes, because they can't do fixed blades or handles in the States, where the steel is. Or probably is again that esoteric thing with called loyalty - may the Force be with yous. Then you couldn't make a decent sheath for a decent price in the entire United States, no, that's not possible.
Then have the dealers and distributors well nourished.

I guess the result is another NASA fixed blade that will be used by astronauts when going on foot thru the jungles of Mars.
Let them have it.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Gsg9 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:15 am
I guess the result is another NASA fixed blade that will be used by astronauts when going on foot thru the jungles of Mars.
Let them have it.
It's referred to as a "NASA" knife at the discretion of the designer and partly because of the "high tech" materials being used. It has nothing to do with the actual company or astronauts. ;)
-Nick :bug-red
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Look, I think that everyone want to see Spyderco fixed blades with a lower price tag.
But, there is always a point of diminishing returns for every single person.
One think that paying more than a 15€ for mora is insane, because Mora.
Other think that 330€ for Proficient is ok, because of materials and fit and finish.

I would love to have Zoomer, Proficient or Southfork, and I could afford one of them, but the price is bit too much. And again, you should have to compare them apples to apples, not with some random fixed blade.

Spyderco can make fixed blade with good value, Waterway, Province or Bow River are good examples.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I was wondering...Lets just say that you did have to use a Spyderco in a bush craft survival situation where you are beating on it. Has Spyderco done any intensive testing to make sure the hole in the blade isn't going to cause a weakness? I only ask because I used to own a Buck Hoodlum, and even though mine never broke I saw plenty that did right at the notch.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

cbrstar wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:59 pm
I was wondering...Lets just say that you did have to use a Spyderco in a bush craft survival situation where you are beating on it. Has Spyderco done any intensive testing to make sure the hole in the blade isn't going to cause a weakness? I only ask because I used to own a Buck Hoodlum, and even though mine never broke I saw plenty that did right at the notch.
an enclosed circle has a very different effect on the strength of a blade than a notch on the spine. the edge and spine of a blade are where the compression and tension forces are most pronounced - any discontinuity there is going to lead to significant weakening.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cbrstar wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:59 pm

I wouldn't be any more worried about the small quarter inch hole they use than I would the giant snag...I mean sharpening notches so many companies are grinding into their blades these days.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I haven't broken my respect yet and this weekend I was using it to baton through oak and as a throwing knife. Did some chopping too to split some of the pieces that were smaller. The tip didn't break from throwing it. The darn dao didn't break when I chopped 2x4s either.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

This is a timely and interesting thread. I recently had to buy a big box chainsaw and was shocked that the cheapest gas chainsaw, which apparently was pretty good, was only $140. Put the cost of my folders in a perspective I didn't really like :eek:
Big50

Post by Big50 »

I am very impressed with the quality of the the Spyderco fixed blades I own or have fondled. They are very, very good.

The street price is still hard for me to handle. The ones I own, I’ve picked up at a discount (but that’s true with the majority of my knives).

It’s just an assumption, but I imagine the tip-to-butt machining & finishing of a 10-inch piece of PSF27 on a Bradley Bowie takes quite some time..that steel is tough! I also have to believe the fitting and finishing of the handle is by hand. The end result is impeccable. They don’t just injection mold some goop around the tang (no offense to Mora).

The gaps between the scales and tang on my Lionsteel M4 reek of “thrown together on a Friday.” For what it is, my Junction is put together perfectly.

IMO “Spyderco Quality” is no where more apparent than on their fixed blades. Admittedly, the only ones I’m familiar with are fromTaichung though.

The Sustain seems like a relative bargain. If I could come up with a conceivable reason to use it, I might even grab one at retail (that’s saying a lot for me). I probably couldn’t pass it up at a discount! :-p
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:11 pm
I haven't broken my respect yet and this weekend I was using it to baton through oak and as a throwing knife.
I've batoned with both the Province and the Proficient, with zero issues.
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting discussion. I think that Mike picked up most of it. I'll chime in where I'm needed. I will say that there are few custom makers that can match our deigns or quality, so that isn't a really fair comparison. Take one of our "more expensive fixed blades and ask a custom maker to duplicate it and see what he charges?

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Big50 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 pm
It’s just an assumption, but I imagine the tip-to-butt machining & finishing of a 10-inch piece of PSF27 on a Bradley Bowie takes quite some time..that steel is tough!
[OT on] I wouldn't want to try machining any supersteel on my lil' 400 lb hobby mill, but for sure the milling is done BEFORE the steel is hardened. The only (cost effective) option after hardening (at least from what I've been taught) is grinding/sanding, which, if not done with coolant running, can easily heat the blade and ruin the temper. I see grinder- and sander-modified knives on eBay occasionally, and avoid them because I don't know how hot the modder got the blade. [OT off]
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Big50 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 pm
I am very impressed with the quality of the the Spyderco fixed blades I own or have fondled. They are very, very good.

The street price is still hard for me to handle. The ones I own, I’ve picked up at a discount (but that’s true with the majority of my knives).

It’s just an assumption, but I imagine the tip-to-butt machining & finishing of a 10-inch piece of PSF27 on a Bradley Bowie takes quite some time..that steel is tough! I also have to believe the fitting and finishing of the handle is by hand. The end result is impeccable. They don’t just injection mold some goop around the tang (no offense to Mora).

The gaps between the scales and tang on my Lionsteel M4 reek of “thrown together on a Friday.” For what it is, my Junction is put together perfectly.

IMO “Spyderco Quality” is no where more apparent than on their fixed blades. Admittedly, the only ones I’m familiar with are fromTaichung though.

The Sustain seems like a relative bargain. If I could come up with a conceivable reason to use it, I might even grab one at retail (that’s saying a lot for me). I probably couldn’t pass it up at a discount! :-p
I have a Lionsteel M4 and M5 fixed blade, and only the M5 has the smallest of gaps at the front of the right side scale, which I never even noticed until now as it does not affect function. The tang of both is prowed with respect to the scales, so I don't know if this is the gap you are referring to.

Both Lionsteel models are about $40 cheaper than the GB Junction at present. They also come with contoured and textured scales versus the flat G10 slabs of the Junction.

I also bought a Junction on discount last year, and while I am satisfied with it, I don't think that its fit and finish is significantly superior to my Lionsteel knives.
Attachments
m4 m5 handles 02.jpg
m4 m5 handles 01.jpg
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Just my opinion, wood scales are always going to be tricky to finish, if they are not stabilized. Wood can still shift a bit so some gaps on wooden scales are ,,a normal,, thing.
This is why micarta and G10 are superior :D

Back to topic:
Since Golden factory doesnt have to import stuff (they can use whatever american steel), I would love to see what kind of fixed blade they could produce in 250 €/USD range.
Waterway is great value, so maybe higher the range a bit and produce something else?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I may be the odd one out here but I reckon a few hundred dollars isn’t too much to pay for a quality fixed blade knife, if of coarse you use it.

My Sprig for example is a gem and worth every cent I payed for it. So much so I bought a back up because I have a tendency to loosing stuff.

Anyhow, I doubt I could get the same knife, same steel blade, made for twice what I paid for it. It cost $260 (I think), I’ve had it for three years and from where I’m standing, I’d say the knife has already paid for itself in time not spent touching it up and sharpening it.

I’m fairly sure it will outlast me and if I live to use it another seven years, it’s cost $26 a year.

I can’t see any value whatsoever in $30 Chinesey knives, with Chinesey steel and I couldn’t care less who’s brand is on them or who designed them.

At the end of the day if I do my part and put the right edge on it, I’ll fillet thirty odd Flathead cutting through rib bone before I have to think about a three minute touch up. So I wouldn’t swap my used Sprig for a pallet load of new Chinesey knives. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I enjoy fixed more now than folders now....

Give me a Sal Glesser fixed blade with a few different steels and handle colours that match the steel. $250-300 ( EDC to hiking size is good for me so junction size just for comparison )

Four (4) knives with different steel and different colour handles ( so you know what steel by the handle )

I would only need One (1) sheath so sell that separately. $50
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:00 am
I would love to see what kind of fixed blade they could produce in 250 €/USD range.
Waterway is great value, so maybe higher the range a bit and produce something else?
The Waterway is actually a great reference point. Completely US made, LC200N, with a US-made Boltaron sheath and an MSRP of $225. With that baseline, what KINDS of fixed blades do folks want? Hunting/fishing, utility, bushcraft, personal-defense? Also, what steels and handle materials are preferred?

Again, it's important to remember that everything is a balancing act when it comes to feasibility and affordability.

Stay safe,

Mike
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:08 am
Pancake wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:00 am
I would love to see what kind of fixed blade they could produce in 250 €/USD range.
The Waterway is actually a great reference point. Completely US made, LC200N, with a US-made Boltaron sheath and an MSRP of $225. With that baseline, what KINDS of fixed blades do folks want? Hunting/fishing, utility, bushcraft, personal-defense? Also, what steels and handle materials are preferred?

Again, it's important to remember that everything is a balancing act when it comes to feasibility and affordability.

Stay safe,

Mike

Well, as myself and others have mentioned, a couple of sprint runs of the Moran Drop Point. One with LC200N, and another with some tool steel variant.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:37 pm
Take one of our "more expensive fixed blades and ask a custom maker to duplicate it and see what he charges?

sal
;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I’d love to see a survival type knife in lc200n. With how tough it is reputed to be I’m not sure why there hasn’t been a rush of companies putting out models as alternatives to 3v, or as step up options from 1095. I’d be very much about a 6 inch blade with .18-.22 inch stock, meant for horizontal belt carry in a bolt sheath. Basically an extended/thickened waterway would scratch where I itch.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v