What’s Your Favorite Underrated Sleeper Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: What’s Your Favorite Underrated Sleeper Knife?

Post by prndltech »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:36 pm
Byrd Hawkbill.
Peach!

I’ll second this. I LOVE that knife. I’ve given several as gifts and each one has been carried every. single. day. And they have held up just fine to the abuse. Great edc/utility blades.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Hawkbill Dragonfly Salt, S30V Shaman, and G-10 Police4 (underrated as it was discontinued).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Domino in any flavour. Fantastic ergos, smooth action and very thin behind the edge.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I might have said it before, but the ultimate Spyderco sleeper -to me- is the fluted carbon fiber s90v Native 5.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Delica is my go to pajama knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bdougn

Post by bdougn »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:12 am
The C51G Rookie is quite possibly the most underrated sleeper knife. I'd love to see a refreshed version of it, not just a sprint.
Agree here! My favorite small knife - big edge - knife. Mine is in spyderedge G10 with ATS55. Seems like the perfect refresh, I’d love one in plain edge with a more “modern” steel.

My other vote is the Junction. Ideal backcountry hunting knife. Not too heavy and takes up very little space, but plenty to skin and bone out an elk.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

RockJumper,,, I know its new and not many have it. Ive been carrying a PE for about a month and it has broken in so smooth. If you dont have one, get one!

I cant wait for different color/steel options
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:12 am
The Delica is my go to pajama knife.
LOL :D

Can't tell if serious
or if making a phenomenal dad joke!
- Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A little of both. ;)

My super blue Delica is my around the house pajama/sweatpants/gym shorts knife.

While I don’t deliberately sleep with a knife in my pocket it is fairly common for me to forget that it is in my pocket. I cannot be the only person on here who has slept with a Spydie in their pocket wether it is deliberate or not.

P.S. I have a five year old so my dad joke game is getting strong.

Did you know that the past tense of William Shakespeare is Wouldiwas Shookspeared? :D

Did you hear the news about the corduroy pillow? No? Wow, it made headlines.

How do you make a tissue dance? Put a little boogie in it.

I have five year old jokes for days.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Stretch and Superleaf
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:33 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:42 pm
Nate wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:13 pm
^Beat me to it, but yes, Baby Horn all the way.

(Somehow STILL available, though stock may be starting to get low.)
That blows me away, everytime I see them. I need to hurry up and get another while I still can.

I've been thinking about sending one out to have a custom replica built, but made completely out of LC200N.
White/Ivory G10.

My true dream knife, but that would probably be the only way it would ever happen.
That's one i see available at KnifeWorks and am always tempted to get, such a cool design on a little knife and not an outrageous price. For whatever reason I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Not that the clip should be a deciding factor, but it really looks out of place.
How am I just now noticing that this knife is pinned except for the pivot, not screw construction :confused:
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm really enjoying my squarehead lw. the only thing i've ever cut with it is myself and i don't really care for it as a knife, but it's almost like a spyderco worry stone for my pocket. i enjoy the texture of spyderco's grip and that covers one side of the entire knife, while the other side is a well-machined, functional taichung piece of bd1. it makes a good worry stone/fidget toy, but you have to be careful with it. i actually considered dulling it, but i realized that little element of danger is part of why i prefer playing with knives instead of fidget spinners. i also love that it's so small and can easily hide in my hand and the fact that it's probably the least threatening thing you can call a knife ever made.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Don't underestimate the Squarehead as an actual user knife either! It's the only knife I've ever used to "fidget" with but I've probably carried my Ti Squarehead more than any other Spyderco I own because of handy it is. It's a very convenient little package and such an intriguing little design that if anyone ever notices me using it, they're always more fascinated by it than intimidated.
- Nick :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:11 pm
i'm really enjoying my squarehead lw. the only thing i've ever cut with it is myself and i don't really care for it as a knife, but it's almost like a spyderco worry stone for my pocket. i enjoy the texture of spyderco's grip and that covers one side of the entire knife, while the other side is a well-machined, functional taichung piece of bd1. it makes a good worry stone/fidget toy, but you have to be careful with it. i actually considered dulling it, but i realized that little element of danger is part of why i prefer playing with knives instead of fidget spinners. i also love that it's so small and can easily hide in my hand and the fact that it's probably the least threatening thing you can call a knife ever made.
Excellent lanyard/fob :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:11 pm
Man I love this model. Wish this standard lw version was still around.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:48 am
A little of both. ;)

While I don’t deliberately sleep with a knife in my pocket it is fairly common for me to forget that it is in my pocket. I cannot be the only person on here who has slept with a Spydie in their pocket wether it is deliberate or not.

Did you know that the past tense of William Shakespeare is Wouldiwas Shookspeared? :D

Hahaha! :D

I recall years ago, a guy on another forum saying that he’s OCD, and always sleeps with at least one Endura clipped to his waistband. Because he always needs to have a knife right next to him; and he never knows when he’ll need it for self-defense, or even for some mundane task in the middle of the night. That may have been a bit extreme, but to each their own...

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Aqua Salt. Everyone knows about it but its rare to hear someone talking about it. Its usefulness extends beyond marine environments. Its a nice lightweight knife for hiking and camping.

:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:44 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:48 am
A little of both. ;)

Hahaha! :D

I recall years ago, a guy on another forum saying that he’s OCD, and always sleeps with at least one Endura clipped to his waistband. Because he always needs to have a knife right next to him; and he never knows when he’ll need it for self-defense, or even for some mundane task in the middle of the night. That may have been a bit extreme, but to each their own...

Jim
i often sleep with a knife in my waistband. i have small kids and don't want to leave it on the nightstand.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:44 am
Des Horn.

Super sleek, great pointy tip for precise work, excellent production quality.

I never hear anyone talk about them though.
When the Des Horn could easily be had I was paying a mountian of medical bills for a badly needed knee surgery. But some of that is kind of my fault because I've been hoping that they would bring back the Des Horn in one of the newer/better blade steels. I label this as a sleeper model because there are very few Spyder fans that are aware of this model when it's only about 7 years past.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:45 pm
Aqua Salt. Everyone knows about it but its rare to hear someone talking about it. Its usefulness extends beyond marine environments. Its a nice lightweight knife for hiking and camping.

I agree, for the exact same reasons.
Hope there is an LC200N version coming out, not for me, but to expand the model to more people who are mostly afraid of PE H1.