M398 Edge Stability Test

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bluntcut

M398 Edge Stability Test

Post by bluntcut »

M398 64-65rc HT 5.0A
Sharpened: EdgePro 15dps, 400-1200grit diamond plate, deburred DMT EE

https://youtu.be/L4NRvqtYD8g
sal

Re: M398 Edge Stability Test

Post by sal »

Hi Bluntcut,

Thanx for posting the video. Is that you doing the tests? Who made the knife? Hardness?

sal
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Hi Sal,

I ht and made and tested this m398 knife. 10 hardness readings (before putting on the handle) between 64-65rc. Desert Ironwood handle.

It's just one of many steels I am testing in this batch of experimental ht: Image

Luong/bluntcut.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx.

Goodonya!

sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

There are days like this, when I see all of those knives, that I wish that I made them as well.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Thanks for posting that!

And I agree with Naperville. Scales and handles have made me want to move on to making blades, for sure.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Howdy Luong,

Nice job on the m398. I figure if anyone could make a glass blade chopper, it would be you. :)

All your knives of mine are doing well except the zwear. It's had the tip broke, edge trashed, and left submerged under water overnight several times. I've repaired it a few times. It remains the girls' favorite knife in the kitchen and elsewhere. They're very rough on it. :)

My favorite is the m2 at 66hrc? It has the thinnest and most stable edge of all.

Take care.
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Hi J.

Thanks. I found this M398 tougher than my previous ht m390 at 64rc. It has wider range of plasticity (i.e. will micro roll).

Sorry about the broken tip. I prefer (ok, bad habit of) fine/delicate tip... don't recall whether your zwear blade tip is thin or ht wasn't as good.

I agree, M2 66rc is very stable. I still have a few m2 blades are waiting (dust collecting) for handle. And still has quire a few bars of m2 onhand. M2 fine/small carbide is nice for shaping keen edge.

Best,
==Luong
jpm2 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:56 pm
Howdy Luong,

Nice job on the m398. I figure if anyone could make a glass blade chopper, it would be you. :)

All your knives of mine are doing well except the zwear. It's had the tip broke, edge trashed, and left submerged under water overnight several times. I've repaired it a few times. It remains the girls' favorite knife in the kitchen and elsewhere. They're very rough on it. :)

My favorite is the m2 at 66hrc? It has the thinnest and most stable edge of all.

Take care.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

bluntcut wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:31 pm
Hi J.

Thanks. I found this M398 tougher than my previous ht m390 at 64rc. It has wider range of plasticity (i.e. will micro roll).

Sorry about the broken tip. I prefer (ok, bad habit of) fine/delicate tip... don't recall whether your zwear blade tip is thin or ht wasn't as good.

I agree, M2 66rc is very stable. I still have a few m2 blades are waiting (dust collecting) for handle. And still has quire a few bars of m2 onhand. M2 fine/small carbide is nice for shaping keen edge.

Best,
==Luong
jpm2 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:56 pm
Howdy Luong,

Take care.
The zwear had a very thin tip (not anymore). In addition to cutting stuff, they use it as an ice pick and prying frozen meats apart. It lives a very rough life.

Surprising m398 compared to m390.
Never have been interested in m390, but will be forced into it with the pattadese.