Dragonfly 2 blade swap

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

Dragonfly 2 blade swap

Post by mad german »

I've got a G-10 (VG-10) Dragonlfy 2 and a FRN (ZDP 189) Dragonfly 2. Can I swap the blades? Do I need to also swap the lock bars? Will these parts from the FRN be a direct fit into the G-10 model?

Thx
My collection is ever changing!
Evil D

Re: Dragonfly 2 blade swap

Post by Evil D »

I would swap lock bars with blades. I'm pretty sure they swap with no problems.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I do wish they'd offer the G10 DF in a better steel. Maybe a permanent upgrade to HAP40?! :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dplafoll wrote:I do wish they'd offer the G10 DF in a better steel. Maybe a permanent upgrade to HAP40?! :p
Probably would only make an expensive knife more expensive. Might not be the best seller. I'm torn on the G10 anyway as I hate the added weight. I would rather see them do a linerless G10, sort of the best of both worlds.
~David
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Evil D wrote:
dplafoll wrote:I do wish they'd offer the G10 DF in a better steel. Maybe a permanent upgrade to HAP40?! :p
Probably would only make an expensive knife more expensive. Might not be the best seller. I'm torn on the G10 anyway as I hate the added weight. I would rather see them do a linerless G10, sort of the best of both worlds.
I'd be willing to pay a little extra for the better steel TBH. But oh man if they did a linerless G10 DF2 in HAP40 or ZDP, that would be a must-have for me. I don't hate VG10, but it's always felt a bit underwhelming on the 40% more expensive G10 version.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dplafoll wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I'd be willing to pay a little extra for the better steel TBH. But oh man if they did a linerless G10 DF2 in HAP40 or ZDP, that would be a must-have for me. I don't hate VG10, but it's always felt a bit underwhelming on the 40% more expensive G10 version.

Apparently that 40% is all for the G10 too. Sal commented a while back about (for whatever reason) G10 models are more expensive to produce out of Japan. I assume this is also why knives like the Kiwi 4 were so pricey.

I'm in the process of trying out my Dfly Salt as a keychain knife. It's a bit bulkier but I carry my keys clipped on my belt loop and tucked into my back pocket so it really hasn't been much of a problem, and when I go to use it I have a lot more knife to work with. I wouldn't want the G10 version for this, but I think it's a great knife for those who have blade length laws and such. I especially like the foliage green G10 and I REALLY wish they would offer it in more models. I would probably choose foliage green over black G10 nearly every time.
~David
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Evil D wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Apparently that 40% is all for the G10 too. Sal commented a while back about (for whatever reason) G10 models are more expensive to produce out of Japan. I assume this is also why knives like the Kiwi 4 were so pricey.

I'm in the process of trying out my Dfly Salt as a keychain knife. It's a bit bulkier but I carry my keys clipped on my belt loop and tucked into my back pocket so it really hasn't been much of a problem, and when I go to use it I have a lot more knife to work with. I wouldn't want the G10 version for this, but I think it's a great knife for those who have blade length laws and such. I especially like the foliage green G10 and I REALLY wish they would offer it in more models. I would probably choose foliage green over black G10 nearly every time.
Yeah. I just think that's a model that's ripe for a very desirable sprint run, if not a production change. What would you think about a HAP40 sprint, maybe in the forest green G10 like the Caly 3? I only say that because I'd think they'd change the handle color for a sprint from the foliage, but I'd be fine either way. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dplafoll wrote: Yeah. I just think that's a model that's ripe for a very desirable sprint run, if not a production change. What would you think about a HAP40 sprint, maybe in the forest green G10 like the Caly 3? I only say that because I'd think they'd change the handle color for a sprint from the foliage, but I'd be fine either way. :p
I haven't tried HAP40 but I like what I've heard and I tend to love carbon steels so I'm sure I'll like it. I'm not really excited for clad blades but I guess I could live with it. I don't think foliage green was ever "assigned' to a sprint/steel, I'm really kind of surprised it has stuck around on this knife as long as it has. It's one of my favorite G10 colors and I would love to see it used more often especially on the Golden models.
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, my K390 Dragonfly came in, and while I managed to get the VG-10 blade & lockbar into the FRN handle, I couldn't quite manage to get the K390 blade & lockbar into the G-10. Going to give my thumbs a break and try again tomorrow!

To anyone who tried a similar swap successfully:

Did you swap the blade, lockbar, and spring? I feel like the VG-10 lockbar may not be engaging all the way.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I have a friend who uses knives quite a bit for craftwork (traditional Maori weaving from NZ Flax) and general use.

She swears by the G10 Dragonfly. I recently acquired the KC HAP40 Pakkawood Dragonfly at her request, and I thought it was a really well rendered and beautiful knife.

I’ll be interested to hear what she thinks of the two knives in comparison, as she really uses her knives hard.

As for a sprint for the G10 model, how about K390 or SRS13?

You could probably put the G10 scales on the HAP40 Pakkawood DF and dye them darker green if you really wanted to.
Last edited by Cambertree on Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I don’t do bladeswaps, so I can’t help you there, sorry. I put custom scales on a FRN Dragonfly once, and that’s probably the last time I’ll be messing with modding a Dragonfly. :( ;) :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:20 pm
Well, my K390 Dragonfly came in, and while I managed to get the VG-10 blade & lockbar into the FRN handle, I couldn't quite manage to get the K390 blade & lockbar into the G-10. Going to give my thumbs a break and try again tomorrow!

To anyone who tried a similar swap successfully:

Did you swap the blade, lockbar, and spring? I feel like the VG-10 lockbar may not be engaging all the way.

If you swapped springs just make sure 1) it's in correctly, you can put them in from the wrong end and I'm sure that'll screw things up and 2) that it's pushed as far into the handle as it goes. Probably smart to compare all the parts and see if they're all the same sizes too.
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

There should be no problems swapping any Dfly blade into any frame including the G10 version. You ALWAYS swap the mated lockbars with any blade swap like this, but no other parts need to be traded. I have swapped many of them around in various frames with zero issue. Swapping into the G10 frame is rather challenging due to the stiffness of the lockbar spring, but the lockbar will go in properly with just the right amount of pressure and luck! It is more difficult to do these swaps with G10 Dragonflies versus G10 Delicas because there isn’t as much tension on the Delica lockbar spring as it’s spread over a larger distance. Good luck and cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Thanks guys! I will try again tomorrow. Thumbs are quite sore! :o
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
chivaceae

Post by chivaceae »

I did this swap (ZDP189 on a G10 w/SSliners frame) last year, and it went very smooth, and I love it! I'll see about posting a pic later. Raul
Models: Para 3; Native 5; Dragonfly; Chaparral Locks: Back, Compression & Frame