Demand and Supply of New Salt Series Knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
robis1923

Re: Demand and Supply of New Salt Series Knives?

Post by robis1923 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:31 am
There is a push for a Salt Para 2, and I would imagine Eric and Sal have few more up their collective sleeves as well. With limited production capacity, I would not want it all to go to more expensive Salt models is my point, I guess. I'm not a opposed to new Salt models. :)
I'd be in for Para 2 salt with yellow scales.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

robis1923 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 pm
I'd be in for Para 2 salt with yellow scales.
What he said ^

(An FRN/FRCP lightweight version will also be fine)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im a huge fan of the salt series. But I do believe that a lot of people dont need the extreme corrosion resistance the salt series offers. Theres a lot of good stainless that will support most peoples knife needs just fine.

However, I am always for more salt models.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:07 pm
i'm guessing the next new salt will be a para 3 lw salt in lc200n. we'll probably see a pm2 lw that eventually turns into a salt as well. personally, i'd love to see more lined g10 salts like the caribbean, but i'm sure it's more cost effective to use less lc200n like the para 3 lw will.
Hopefully this is true for the next Para 3 LW release🤞

I think knife reviewers on youtube (can't remember who, always watching a lot of knife review videos) have expressed the desire to have a Para 3 LW Salt as soon as the base BD1N model came out.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:41 am
Any model I've purchased, I'd buy a second time if they make it a Salt. Police, Manix XL, Street Beat.....

The convenience of a totally rust proof folder means more to me than any edge holding improvements we've seen since VG10 came on the scene.
An LC200N Street Beat is the stuff dreams are made of.

I really, really, really, REALLY, want a solid LC200N Micro Dyad! I would beat the living snot out of it!

Basically, put LC200N on any knife and it would make it better. >:]
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I see the salt knives as purpose built for use around salt water. I appreciate low maintenance as much as the next guy but I dont need zero maintenance. I find most stainless steels easy enough to maintain and would prefer a steel with some more abrasion resistance and I am willing to give up some corrosion resistance for that added edge holding. I regularly neglect S110V and often put it back in my pocket wet yet it has never corroded on me. I have had some corrosion with S30V but VG10, XHP and M390 have all been trouble free.

So for me I don’t understand the desire to “Salt” every knife. There are plenty of highly stainless steels that will require little maintenance unless around salt water and that will also hold an edge much longer than LC200N. They can certainly all handle light food prep and a rinse in the sink.

Of course we all live different lives and this is just my observation from my angle.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Robis,

Welcome to our forum.

In my opinion, dishwashers are not good for blades because of the heat and the dishwasher soap.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:19 pm
Hi Robis,

Welcome to our forum.

In my opinion, dishwashers are not good for blades because of the heat and the dishwasher soap.

sal

This is something that would be cool for Larrin to test. If he could run some blades of H1, LC200N, and other steels through some hot (highest setting) dishwasher cycles with powder detergent, make sure they are spaced out to where they aren't banging into other things (one of the main arguments as to why you shouldn't dishwash knives is they bang into other utensils), and then look at the edges under the microscope to see if they degrade and how much just by the action of hot water jets and detergents.

I have German made Henckels and Wusthof knives and dishwash them daily or sometimes two or three times daily. I steel them before every use with the below steel, and haven't had to do any actual sharpening in years, so I question all of the claims out there about dishwashers being bad for blade edges as long as they are placed carefully in the dishwasher where they won't bang into other stuff. I do agree that it isn't great for some handle materials, but my Henckels Twin Four Star handles take the daily washings in stride with no issues to speak of after many years.

My F Dick Sharpening Steel. I wish there was a little tiny fold up pocket version of this for steeling my Spydies.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

Mugman16 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:28 am
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:14 am
I've cleaned most of my knives that way, even the non-Salt models without any corrosion issues. I'm not sure I want to pay more for a full Salt knife if I don't have the need.
yeah but i mean all up in the guts too, like inside the locking mechanism and pivot. def shouldnt be cleaning that out with water and soap, you should probably use isopropyl alcohol for that. the premium on salt knives does exist but there are def economical models like the native 5 salt (which has terrible action but is great in every other facet).
What ? I gut a bunch of deer each year with an Old Timer Stockman ,a few day later I rinse it under the faucet with hot water and wipe it off on my leg . Def works....