Buying good knives twice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Buying good knives twice

Post by MichaelScott »

It is probably just me and my inability to make good decisions most of the time. I have noticed that I will buy a knife and then after using it and keeping it and carrying it and really liking it, I somehow end up moving it along. Much later after due consideration and remorse, I end up buying that knife once again. At this point it usually sticks around as one of my go to EDC knives.

I guess it’s just having one in hand and accumulating experiences with it that solidifies its usefulness and appeal to me. Looking at photos and reading and watching reviews just doesn’t get it for me and being so wishy-washy at times I have to buy the same knife twice.

So, I must confess that my last two purchases were another Rhino and another Lil’ Native.Both outstanding knives for me. I spent far too much time flirting with the Techno 2 but there’s just something about it that still nagged me as not being quite right. Now all this evaluation is certainly personal but it did continue to put me off. Then, after considering what my earlier Lil’ Native was capable of and how well it fit my needs I didn’t see any reason to spend considerably more money to get a chunky titanium frame lock.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Albatross

Re: Buying good knives twice

Post by Albatross »

Don't know what you got (Till it's gone)

I've done the same and it might just be my worst knife-related habit. My wife isn't impressed when I buy a knife I parted with in the past, which she expresses with an obligatory eye roll.
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

I have done this as well. I have had 3 para 2 in my life. It appears to check off all the boxes for me but i always come up underwhelmed when I get one. I have also made the mistake of try Vegemite twice in my life. I guess I repressed my memory of how bad it tasted and tried it again. Now I am twice shy. Sorry to any of you Aussies but not my cup of tea.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Only one model: Manix 2 LW.

Had the black one with BD1 steel, enjoyed and really liked it for a year or so, then decided that for me personally the Stretch 1 would do still a bit better what the Manix already did well and so I sold the latter and thought I´d never come back to this model (but would always remember it as a great knife)

Now I have another Manix 2 LW and it certainly is a keeper. Actually I carry it more often then my Stretch 1s for quite some time now, despite it offers noticable less cutting edge (which I don´t like generally).
Though I have to say: Part of the reasons for that are that for me the BD1N of my new Manix is a noticeable upgrade over the BD1 of the previous one, and I really like the unique look of the translucent blue FRCP scales (would not like all of my Spydies to look like that, but having one is kind of cool :) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I haven't ever re-bought the exact same knife, but I've definitely bought the same model again after selling my first. Both times I've done this were to give a model a second chance - first the Manix lightweight, and just this week, the Chaparral. The Manix lw has really grown on me this second time around, especially for summer carry in lightweight shorts. The Chap just arrived, so no verdict yet. That skinny lockbar still hurts my finger, but I'm going to try adjusting it as I've seen suggested on here. Aside from that I love it - the size, the unique thin blade stock, and on this one the awesome sun and moon design.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now my reasons might be somewhat different than your reasons for buying two or more of the same model of Spyderco knife.
Take my Hawkbill models for instance. I have at least two and in some cases three of the same model. Because I do use my SE Hawkbill blades a lot over a year. Also I have two of other types of Spyderco models as well. At one time I think I had 6 of the Caly Jr.
I also had at least 5 of the Wegner models till 2009 when I sold a few of them to survive.

Also for my collection I tend to buy two of the same model ( one user and one for the safe). Because if we do get Sal to go forward on that C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run in SE & PE>> I will buy two of each variant>> that way I have a couple of models to add to my "user arsenal" and I'll also have two to add to the collection as well.

I sure don't find any fault in having "Back Up Units">> because I have "Back Up Units" of many tools I have.
jacala

Post by jacala »

Cricket Bite,
Being an Aussie, I was born with a vegemite sandwich in my hand.
I think the biggest mistake Americans make re vegemite is that they lay it on too thick/too much on the sandwich.
Spread it on very sparingly so that the taste is not so strong.
Meanwhile back to the topic/subject:
I have several Spydies of the same model ie. one as a "user" and other/s as "safe queens".Eg 2x Jumpmaster2.
BTW, My current total of Spydies is 50 something ??? It's one of my addictions.I'd hate the wife to find out !
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

jacala wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:13 am
Cricket Bite,
Being an Aussie, I was born with a vegemite sandwich in my hand.
I think the biggest mistake Americans make re vegemite is that they lay it on too thick/too much on the sandwich.
Spread it on very sparingly so that the taste is not so strong.
Meanwhile back to the topic/subject:
I have several Spydies of the same model ie. one as a "user" and other/s as "safe queens".Eg 2x Jumpmaster2.
... or, more likely, the mistake is not trying the far superior Marmite in the first instance.

“Never go back” is the only Mantra* I will repeat.

* sorry but I couldn’t resist the pun. I’ve never had a Mantra but have never rebought, either.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:04 am
I haven't ever re-bought the exact same knife, but I've definitely bought the same model again after selling my first. Both times I've done this were to give a model a second chance - first the Manix lightweight, and just this week, the Chaparral. The Manix lw has really grown on me this second time around, especially for summer carry in lightweight shorts. The Chap just arrived, so no verdict yet. That skinny lockbar still hurts my finger, but I'm going to try adjusting it as I've seen suggested on here. Aside from that I love it - the size, the unique thin blade stock, and on this one the awesome sun and moon design.

:eek: :) So you really have a Chap once more?! That´s just great and I am really hoping you will report back here how you like it after some use... since even more than in anything else it shines when it comes to pure (cutting-) performance!
As for the lockbar: It will break in eventually, and as far as I could read others had good luck with doing the mod you are going to do too anyway (moving the spring forward for about 3mm).
I also hope you´ll share pics in the "what Spyderco is in your pocket"-thread as soon as, well, the Chap actually IS in your pocket... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:45 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:04 am

:eek: :) So you really have a Chap once more?! That´s just great and I am really hoping you will report back here how you like it after some use... since even more than in anything else it shines when it comes to pure (cutting-) performance!
As for the lockbar: It will break in eventually, and as far as I could read others had good luck with doing the mod you are going to do too anyway (moving the spring forward for about 3mm).
I also hope you´ll share pics in the "what Spyderco is in your pocket"-thread as soon as, well, the Chap actually IS in your pocket... ;)
I will definitely report back! It'll see good pocket time next week after I get that mod done.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

That mod is easy and makes a big difference.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

When doing the lockbar mod on the Chaparrel, does the spring reliably stay in the new location, or is it necessary to insert a spacer to prevent it moving back?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:00 am
When doing the lockbar mod on the Chaparrel, does the spring reliably stay in the new location, or is it necessary to insert a spacer to prevent it moving back?

I did not do the mod on my Chap, since I liked how it came from the factory.
But from what I read, no one had any problems after doing the mod and no one inserted a spacer as far as I see.

Here https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p1253309 is a link to some pics on how the mod is done.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’ve only ever bought the same model twice because I lost the first K390 Urban I had at work.
Cricket Bite wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:55 am
I have done this as well. I have had 3 para 2 in my life. It appears to check off all the boxes for me but i always come up underwhelmed when I get one. I have also made the mistake of try Vegemite twice in my life. I guess I repressed my memory of how bad it tasted and tried it again. Now I am twice shy. Sorry to any of you Aussies but not my cup of tea.
It’s alright mate, ambrosia’s not for everyone. :p :D
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Bill1170 wrote:
It stays in place. It’s under enough tension so that it doesn’t move around. I move mine up as far as possible so that all still works as it should. Then it’s like butter. (Not really, but considerably softer.)

Team Innovation
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Bill1170 wrote:
It hasn't moved on any knives I've adjusted before. Haven't had a chappie though.
/ David
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Well, I've bought a good knife thrice actually. Bought a DF2 as my first knife, but wanted a bigger knife so I gave that to my father. Wanted a smaller knife again so I got a DF2 in g10. That was a bit of a boat anchor so I gave that to a friend.

And now I own a wharncliffe Dragonfly! Which I'm gonna keep! I would want a serrated one though, hint hint Sal ;)

Might have to buy a SE Salt DF2...
/ David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Hey, Michael!

Six of one, half dozen of another.

You angst about giving up good knives (Spydies included) only to buy them again. I angst about not using the Spydies I have been unable to part with.

As I’ve said elsewhere, what a tangled Spyderweb we weave. :rolleyes:
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Michael,
I don't have this problem as I never sell Spydies. :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Thanks, guys, for answering my query about the Chaparral spring.