C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:56 am
benben wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:04 am
I've followed this thread since day one, I say we have JD pick the color of G-10 and roll with it, his thread, his color! I think that's fair and I'm sure it'll be a color we can all live with, let's get on with it!
100% support this. Joe has been the biggest Ayoob supporter here and he's the one who initially opened my eyes to this model so I think he deserves it.

I'm also super excited about the potential dealer exclusive...I just hope (again) that all versions are offered in SE and I'm gonna keep repeating that just for good measure :p
agreed

keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
I've followed this thread since day one, I say we have JD pick the color of G-10 and roll with it, his thread, his color! I think that's fair and I'm sure it'll be a color we can all live with, let's get on with it!
Hey Bro take a look at Post #5 on page 12 of this thread. I've already suggested a few colors there already. Tell me if any of those look appealing to you guys??

Also if you've been keeping up with everything Mr. Glesser has said it looks as though VG-10 is going to be the blade steel for a few reasons. I don't even care at this point because the serrated version will probably be the one I end up using the most anyway. Also he indicated that they are going to try for "screw type" construction over riveted pins>> that was sweet to my ears when I heard it.

Check out those colors I've already listed and let me know what you all think. But hey I'm open to what you guys like too :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

popplelopolis wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:04 am
Would a run in ZDP-189 be on the table? Since it'd be a Japanese steel as well.
The problem with ZDP-189 is that Spyderco had problems with it in SE in the early going. Now if they wanted to use that for PE and VG-10 for SE it would be fine by me.

And we've just got to have this one in SE & PE both. EVIL D, Myself and about 6 others here want the SE the most.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

There has to be an SE option. I'd cry!

I don't dislike PE by any means, I just don't want this one in PE.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

a somewhat large, curved self-defense blade belongs in se. i don't dislike pe either, but this knife doesn't make sense to me in pe. it needs teeth! :cool:
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Definitely needs the original style serrations. I'm willing to send this bad boy into spyderco so they can spec it out. Definitely the sharpest SE knife I've ever gotten from the factory or anywhere for that matter.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:56 am
benben wrote:
100% support this. Joe has been the biggest Ayoob supporter here and he's the one who initially opened my eyes to this model so I think he deserves it.

I'm also super excited about the potential dealer exclusive...I just hope (again) that all versions are offered in SE and I'm gonna keep repeating that just for good measure :p

I second this very strongly. And so as to not be accused of chasing unicorns, any Japanese steel will do. It just needs teeth.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:21 pm
There has to be an SE option. I'd cry!

I don't dislike PE by any means, I just don't want this one in PE.
I'm with you all the way on that one Bro ;) Because that C-60 Ayoob model is just as well known for it's performance in the older SE model just as well as it is a laser cutting PE Masterpiece as well :cool:

Oh We're going to get both edge types I can assure you. If we got Sal's attention to this depth and degree you can be assured he has read our requests>> and has read that at least 80% of us want it in PE & SE both.

I'm like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for a new C-60 in SE & PE. I'm planning on getting 4 of them. Two PE and Two SE.
One set for my "user arsenal" and one set for the long term collection.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:07 pm
Definitely needs the original style serrations. I'm willing to send this bad boy into spyderco so they can spec it out. Definitely the sharpest SE knife I've ever gotten from the factory or anywhere for that matter.
A big huge "HIGH FIVE" on that one "VASH" :cool: Yeah don't change a thing>> that serration pattern on the original 2002 era model has always been one of my favorites.

Vash I don't know if you remember when our old fellow Forumite "Doc Snubnose" did his meat test review on his serrated C-60 Ayoob. It's been a few years since I first read it and I wish to GOD above that Doc Snubnose would chime in on this thread.

But he boldly stated that with his tests he did on real beef carcasses the results were astounding. The only other Spyderedged model I've had that could compete with the serrated C-60 was the serrated version of the old, Micarta handled C-54 model big Calypso in full SE. If you remember that big Calypso was a full flat grind and it was a mega-beast in SE.

The C-60 Ayoob and the C-54 Calypso ( the big one) were the two best serrated/Spyderedged folders ever IMO.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😍😍😍
VashHash wrote:
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

So, we have the tooling.

Things just got real. Now I'm stoked.

Screw-construction and G10 in a non-neon color will get me reaching for my wallet. I trust whatever steel the market favors will still meet Sal's high standard, and that's good enough for me. I'll take it in SE if PE is not to be offered, but I'm more interested in the latter so I can judge the power of a pronounced negative blade-angle alone.

What, again, were Mas Ayoob's concerns with the initial release? Did the subsequent sprint run address them?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Guess what m one of the weirdos who wants PE. But if there can only be one blade type, better make it SE.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:03 pm
VashHash wrote:
A big huge "HIGH FIVE" on that one "VASH" :cool: Yeah don't change a thing>> that serration pattern on the original 2002 era model has always been one of my favorites.

Vash I don't know if you remember when our old fellow Forumite "Doc Snubnose" did his meat test review on his serrated C-60 Ayoob. It's been a few years since I first read it and I wish to GOD above that Doc Snubnose would chime in on this thread.

But he boldly stated that with his tests he did on real beef carcasses the results were astounding. The only other Spyderedged model I've had that could compete with the serrated C-60 was the serrated version of the old, Micarta handled C-54 model big Calypso in full SE. If you remember that big Calypso was a full flat grind and it was a mega-beast in SE.

The C-60 Ayoob and the C-54 Calypso ( the big one) were the two best serrated/Spyderedged folders ever IMO.
Here is the link to Doc Snubnose’s test: viewtopic.php?t=15208

SE only for me, but if in Burgundy or CF I might buy a couple of each edge as well. I’m also willing to bet the exclusives is BHQ, and Jade G10 scales don’t interest me at all.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
markg

Post by markg »

I tried to read all the posts, but I may have missed a few...

I am all in on another Ayoob. I did not have the original but did have the G-10 and stupidly let it go. I remember really digging the knife.

I think the tip down clip is a deal breaker for many today. It is not for me, but for some they just can't get past it. It can work they just don't believe it can. I think a multi-mount clip would be a must.

I could go for that jade G-10, just because I ALWAYS go for that jade G-10.

The Ayoob seems to be one of those Spyderco's people either really love or really hate. I am in the former category.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:15 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:03 pm
VashHash wrote:

Here is the link to Doc Snubnose’s test: viewtopic.php?t=15208

SE only for me, but if in Burgundy or CF I might buy a couple of each edge as well. I’m also willing to bet the exclusives is BHQ, and Jade G10 scales don’t interest me at all.
Hey thanks for finding that for us Dazen :) And I do hope that most of you check out Doc Snubnose's meat test he did with a serrated/Spyderedge C-60 Ayoob model. Because my old pal Doc Snubnose was one guy who always gave you the straight scoop on everything he talked about. I really miss Doc Snubnose's great comments he made here over the years and I do hope he returns at some point.

Well there are 3 of you that want my color preferences for the handle on the C-60 Ayoob model. I've got 5 colors I'm toying with and later today I'll post my top 5 selections for handle color. But I do strongly want a G-10 handle on a model of this caliber.

I do also hope that Spyderco would make at least 30% to 40% of the C-60 units in SE>> I know that more people prefer PE but there are a growing amount of knife fans and users that are leaning toward Spyderedges ( especially here on the Forum). I don't think Spyderco will have any problem selling every single unit for a model as popular as the C-60 Ayoob has been over the years. This is just great news.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm in for a SE for sure.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:54 am
I'm in for a SE for sure.
And the biggest point to consider at this time in the thread Vivi is that YOU ARE NOT ALONE :) I'm certain that at least 80% of the respondents on this thread are for the proposed C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run to be offered in PE and SE both.

As it was in the past the C-60 Ayoob is one of the very few serrated Spyderco models that had a convex "belly" to it>> which really made it a super "cutting machine" for several cutting jobs. As Doc Snubnose's meat cutting experiment proved without any shred of a doubt.

I believe our collective wish of a SPYDEREDGED C-60 Ayoob for this proposed Sprint Run will come to fruition. But I still want to hear from more people who also want this exceptional model in SE :cool: No!!! We Are Not Alone
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

markg wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:33 am

I am all in on another Ayoob. I did not have the original but did have the G-10 and stupidly let it go. I remember really digging the knife.

I think the tip down clip is a deal breaker for many today. It is not for me, but for some they just can't get past it. It can work they just don't believe it can. I think a multi-mount clip would be a must.

The Ayoob seems to be one of those Spyderco's people either really love or really hate. I am in the former category.
If BHQ did a Jade M4 version, with SE...... o.o
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:11 pm
markg wrote:

Since it is made in Japan, it would have to be a Japanese steel like Sal said. Probably end up being Laminated HAP40, like the Lum exclusives.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:11 pm
markg wrote:

You know I bet M-4 would make a really good steel for Spyderedges :) . Because the limited use I've had of it the steel seems like it's got some properties similar to 440V ( S60V) which is one of my all time favorite blade steels for serrated edges.

That would be in Mr. Glesser's hands at this moment. Because it looks like they might have to use VG-10 to make this project feasible for Spyderco. But we'll wait and see what the General ( Sal) might have to say about it.

But it sure sounds delicious to me :D