important knives in your collection?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: important knives in your collection?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If my Cruwear Military and my Super Blue Delica were my only two knives I would get by just fine. The rest are just for variety. I would also never sell my Crucarta Shaman.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well... ALL of them as of now... :o

Since my approach is to keep only Spydercos (I don´t own folders of any other brand any more)that I really use a lot plus not more than max 10 at any point in time, there really are no "unimportant" knives anymore in my "collection" (which is really more an assemblage of users).

The least carried is my sabre grind Delica comboedge, but still it is far from being "not important" to me. It was my first Spyderco, so it has "nostalgical" value, I generally love the design and ergos (but tend to carry the Chap FRN when I want a small knife, which is rarely the case anyway) and this Delica fills an important niche and role (hard use beater when climbing or having to work fast and hard and without being able to take a bit care of the knife)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Sold off all of the what I considered to be important knives in my collection years ago when I really thinned it out by selling off 80% of my collection.

The ones today would be the Randall knives that I have and I keep one CRK around as a user.

I am very picky these days about what I will buy.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Urban.

Man it's great. Invisible in the pocket, great retention, all the edge length you can get from a small knife, subtle FRN grip, non threatening in a company, single hand opening, slim, fidget friendly.

Only thing I could wish is more sturdy handles, as I know the FRN will not last for long
jdw

Post by jdw »

Two knives that I would consider 'must haves' for me personally is a 52100 Military and a Gayle Bradley. From a sheer 'dang, ain't this cool' perspective it would be my Red Micarta Persian and Kris.

Edit: Either would make a great Sprint or Flash Batch. Patiently hoping.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Important means Holy Grails to me and that would have to be the C46 Lum Tanto(s), I have all 8 variations.
BOB LUM #C46P PLAIN EDGE TITANIUM ATS-55
BOB LUM #C46PS COMBOEDGE TITANIUM ATS-55
BOB LUM #C46GP PLAIN EDGE G-10 ATS-55
BOB LUM #C46GPS COMBOEDGE G-10 ATS-55
BOB LUM BLACK BLADE #C46GPBK PLAIN EDGE G-10 ATS-55
BOB LUM BLACK BLADE #C46GPSBK COMBOEDGE G-10 ATS-55
BOB LUM #30V #C46GPGY PLAIN EDGE G-10 GRAY VG-10
BOB LUM #C46GHAP40P PLAIN EDGE G-10 JADE HAP40
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Duke of Calgary wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:30 am
Out of nothing more than curiosity, in your opinion what are the "must have" knives for any collection?
we all have our favourite that seems to suit our unique needs and taste the best.
what say you?

In my opinion, there are none. Tastes differ, needs differ, what works perfectly for me may work poorly for you, and vise-versa. My personal favorites include the Stretch, Chaparral, Kiwi, and Jester. The first two are not what anyone would call insanely popular models and the last two had relatively short production lives, which is generally not a sign of popularity. However, they all work well for me and each fill a niche. Which is why I've carried a Micarta Jester and one version or another of the Kiwi since '03, some version of the Stretch since it came out in '04, and a pre-production sample CF Chaparral since months before its release in '09.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!