How about a mini manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: How about a mini manix 2?

Post by Wartstein »

DigDug72 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:44 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:56 am
Yep, definitely! Thanks man, you definitely gave me a lot to think about before jumping into this chop - I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks to YOU for sharing your projects, they are very cool to see and I would not be skilled enough at all to do such "chops" myself! :)
If the "Manix chop" will be anything like what you did with the Shaman (for those who might have missed this viewtopic.php?t=86786) it certainly will turn out to be another very appealing smaller knife option
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:54 am
Manix 2 is good as is, IMO. I don't think you can shrink the handle and keep the ergos close to Manix 2. I have large hand and the grip area is perfect for me. If it was smaller, it would turn into you-have-to-use-the-choil in order to get a grip knife (like a Chaparral, or even a Native 5).
I agree that a smaller Manix 2 would force the user to use the choil, which would become overly-prominent like on the Native 5 (which I found doesn’t appeal to me as a user because of that). If Spyderco made a mini Manix 2, I doubt I’d want one myself. IMO, the current G10 Manix 2 is perfect in hand, and I have medium-sized hands.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:03 am
Pancake wrote:
Manix 2 is good as is, IMO. I don't think you can shrink the handle and keep the ergos close to Manix 2. I have large hand and the grip area is perfect for me. If it was smaller, it would turn into you-have-to-use-the-choil in order to get a grip knife (like a Chaparral, or even a Native 5).
I agree that a smaller Manix 2 would force the user to use the choil, which would become overly-prominent like on the Native 5 (which I found doesn’t appeal to me as a user because of that). If Spyderco made a mini Manix 2, I doubt I’d want one myself. IMO, the current G10 Manix 2 is perfect in hand, and I have medium-sized hands.

Jim
Just out of interest, Jim: I am with you in that I think the Manix "is a Manix" partly because it offers TWO perfect and generous four finger grips (choked up and behind the choil)

But how would you feel about a "Mini Manix" if it indeed still HAD enough space for four fingers (let´s say up to XL handsize) behind the choil? As said in my previous post (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86991#p1431938) by NOT having that "hook" at the end of the handle (but flare out there), which is great on the current Manix, but would restrict grip area too much on a potential "Mini Manix"?

I don´t want to sound overly obsessed by such a potential version, but a smaller CBBL knife (in fact ANY additional CBBL knife) is very appealing to me..

What do you think?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i’d like to see a manix with the same handle shape and cutting edge length, just minus a choil. i personally love the manix just the way it is, but it would be a compelling model without the choil and extra non-cutting length added to the blade.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:02 am
i’d like to see a manix with the same handle shape and cutting edge length, just minus a choil. i personally love the manix just the way it is, but it would be a compelling model without the choil and extra non-cutting length added to the blade.
I think the way the CBBL is located in the handle makes some amount of choil in the blade mandatory.. not an expert on this though!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:10 am
James Y wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:03 am
Pancake wrote:

Jim
Just out of interest, Jim: I am with you in that I think the Manix "is a Manix" partly because it offers TWO perfect and generous four finger grips (choked up and behind the choil)

But how would you feel about a "Mini Manix" if it indeed still HAD enough space for four fingers (let´s say up to XL handsize) behind the choil? As said in my previous post (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86991#p1431938) by NOT having that "hook" at the end of the handle (but flare out there), which is great on the current Manix, but would restrict grip area too much on a potential "Mini Manix"?

I don´t want to sound overly obsessed by such a potential version, but a smaller CBBL knife (in fact ANY additional CBBL knife) is very appealing to me..

What do you think?
Hi, Warstein.

I think your concepts are good. As long as the hand doesn’t feel forced to use the choil. I wouldn’t mind a smaller CBBL model. But I feel that any Manix 2 that’s shrunk down would have an overly-large choil in relation to the blade length, like (IMO) the Native 5 has. As it is, the Manix 2 seems to be just right in that regard. I’m certain that Sal and Eric could come up with a good compromise if they choose to make a smaller version. I guess it would have to be called a Manix 3, though.

Jim
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:06 am
SubMicron wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:56 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:29 am
This has been brought up MANY times before. Some are for it, some are not. I find the Manix to be knife perfection as it is, why mess with perfection!
...for when we need perfection in a smaller platform! A Manix at my job would be a big problem for HR. Even a Delica can be problematic.

At work my options are the Dragonfly and the Lil Native and I love both enough to own multiples of each.

A Lil Manix certainly would be a big hit on the market.
I hear you, but the question is: Would it still be perfection in the exact same, just smaller form? I don´t say it could not be, but it also does not have to be necesarely.

For me the closest to a ergonomicwise still great and versatile Mini Manix 2 is the Sage 2 (see pic below). Very similar blade and even handle shape, just without "hook" at the rear end of the handle so that bigger hands still would get a good grip behind the choil on a "shrunken Manix".
Just my 2c of course!
(EDIT: Added a Manix pic for comparison)

That's a Sage 3. The Sage 2 has a RIL.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

fanglekai wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:07 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:06 am
SubMicron wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:56 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:29 am
I hear you, but the question is: Would it still be perfection in the exact same, just smaller form? I don´t say it could not be, but it also does not have to be necesarely.

For me the closest to a ergonomicwise still great and versatile Mini Manix 2 is the Sage 2 (see pic below). Very similar blade and even handle shape, just without "hook" at the rear end of the handle so that bigger hands still would get a good grip behind the choil on a "shrunken Manix".
Just my 2c of course!
(EDIT: Added a Manix pic for comparison)

That's a Sage 3. The Sage 2 has a RIL.
You're right of course. My typo. Thanks for the correction!