Reflections on the Spyderco Native: My cutting origin story

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FeistyKat

Reflections on the Spyderco Native: My cutting origin story

Post by FeistyKat »

I discovered Spyderco knives in the 1980’s at the Del Mar Fair in San Diego, CA.

I don’t remember what year I purchased my first Spyderco knife. I do remember one year they were not allowed to sell their wares because the Sheriff (Duffy, I believe) had determined Spyderco knives, because they could be opened quickly and easily with one hand, were just too dangerous to be owned by citizens and therefore could not be sold at the fair. I remember seeing a case or two of knives, but not being able to make a purchase.

It was probably at the next year’s fair that I bought my first Spyderco. I have no idea what model.

I bought two or three of them over the years. I still have one or two of them, in a drawer somewhere. Thanks to saggy pockets I left the second or third knife on a beach in Coronado, CA, while sitting on said beach on a warm summer night, for some lucky sunbather to find. I still mourn that knife.

I was entranced when I discovered the Spyderco Native in 2003 or so.

Something about the shape of the blade touched me in a distant, ancient place. Perhaps in an earlier life I crossed the frozen Bering Straight.

I loved, and love, looking at my Native. I have two Native Stainless Steel knives, one combo, one plain. I prefer the plain blade. The combo blade cuts nicely with its serrations, but they ruin the beautiful symmetry of the blade, so the knife with the plain blade sits on my desk to open things, perform generic cutting tasks & be played with.

Both my daughters own a Native 5. I got them so they could cut bales of hay open, and keep close by in case of need. At my urging both of them carried them through high school with no one the wiser.

I liked the Native because it was easily carried hidden in my pocket, but I always wanted a larger knife.

At some point I decided I wanted a knife with a Tanto blade (so I could pierce car hoods & 55 gallon drums.) I also wanted a larger folder. In 2013 I bought a 4” Cold Steel Tanto. I’d never worn a knife clipped to my pocket, too obvious I thought, but I quickly got over that.

I just discovered the Spyderco Chief and I’m pretty sure I’m in love. I like the larger size of the Chief and I love the look of the blade. It’s beautiful. (Is the Native modeled after a Clovis point? I seem to recall reading that somewhere years ago. Or did I invent that?)

But, what to do? Get the S30V or the REX 45? Or both?

Now I’m a little obsessed with REX 45. I can’t stop googling it.

Last weekend while goggling I found a Native 5 Sprint Run on eBay for $125 and on impulse bought it. I sure hope it’s genuine (I didn’t think about it at the time. How can I tell?) The grinds on the Native SS spoil the look of the blade. I prefer the look of the Native 5.

And…I can’t wait to get it!

I’m excited about rejoining the Spyderco fold. I hadn’t realized how much I’ve missed the Spyder hole. It just feels right and no other folder compares for one handed operation (and is there any other way to open a folder?)

After I get done figuring out the patina on my Native 5 (fun!) I’ll start thinking about the Native Chief. I don’t know when the Sprint Run will drop, but I’ll be ready.

That’s my cutlery origin story. If you want, please share your origin story. Just about everyone loves to hear a good story.

Best,

Chris
sal

Re: Reflections on the Spyderco Native: My cutting origin story

Post by sal »

Hi Chris,

Welcome to our forum.

The knife you purchased a the Del Mar fair was probably from me. Back then, I worked the Del mar Fair every year. The problem with the Sheriff's took a while to sort out, but I eventually convinced them that there was no law broken by our "new fashion" knives (as they were called in Europe).

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hey Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

I've only been using Spydercos for 10 years or so, and I just got my first Native (a lightweight Native 5 in Rex45) last month.

If you're still in California, I wouldn't worry too much about forcing a patina, unless you just like the look. I've used K390 for well over 6 months without worry and my Rex45 doesn't show any signs of patina so far.

Best,
Kenneth
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

sal wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:03 pm
Hi Chris,

Welcome to our forum.

The knife you purchased a the Del Mar fair was probably from me. Back then, I worked the Del mar Fair every year. The problem with the Sheriff's took a while to sort out, but I eventually convinced them that there was no law broken by our "new fashion" knives (as they were called in Europe).

sal
Hi, Sal-

Thank you for the welcome.

I was watching the Tri-Angle Sharpmaker video the other day. I didn't recognize your face (sorry, it was almost 40 years ago!) but I recognized your paper shaving technique. That I remember quite vividly.

I also remember you giving my Spyderco knife a quick touch up on a Sharpmaker at a later Del Mar Fair.

Ah, no fair this year. I miss Tasti-Chips....

Best,

Chris
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:04 pm
Hey Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

I've only been using Spydercos for 10 years or so, and I just got my first Native (a lightweight Native 5 in Rex45) last month.

If you're still in California, I wouldn't worry too much about forcing a patina, unless you just like the look. I've used K390 for well over 6 months without worry and my Rex45 doesn't show any signs of patina so far.

Best,
Kenneth
Hi, Kenneth-

Thanks for the welcome!

I didn't realize REX 45 is a carbon steel until after I ordered my knife and after reading about patinas I am definitely going to force it, now I'm just debating how to do it.

Are you in So-Cal?

Best,

Chris
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

Sal- I'm sitting here looking at My Native 5.

It's beautiful!

Can you elucidate on the Native blade? Is it based on a Clovis point? Or something else?

Is there an official 'origin story' for the Native blade?

Best,

Chris
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

FeistyKat wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:38 am
Hi, Kenneth-

Thanks for the welcome!

I didn't realize REX 45 is a carbon steel until after I ordered my knife and after reading about patinas I am definitely going to force it, now I'm just debating how to do it.

Are you in So-Cal?

Best,

Chris
No, I'm up north. A couple of regulars on the forum are down near you though!

The forced patins look pretty cool when you do it right! I liked this tutorial from BladeHQ, they use an acid cider vinegar dip to patina M4. I like this better than the Jackson Pollock mustard approach, but it does take a little more preparation.

I just picked up a second-hand Manix 2 in Maxamet which has the first signs of Patina (came from Kansas), I may end up doing this if I can figure out how to remove the blade haha. Let us know which way you go and post pictures of the results!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

FeistyKat wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:42 am
Sal- I'm sitting here looking at My Native 5.

It's beautiful!

Can you elucidate on the Native blade? Is it based on a Clovis point? Or something else?

Is there an official 'origin story' for the Native blade?

Best,

Chris
Hi Chris,

Glad you like it. Many years ago, a knife company came to me and asked me to design a knife for Walmart and they will make the knife, inventory the knife, deliver the knife and send us a check. It sounded great. We were a very small company at the time. By the way, that company is no longer in business.

I spent a great deal of time hanging out at the Walmart knife area. I watched what people were buying and interviewed some for input. The Native is what came out of the study. It was a humpless folder, hollow ground spear (leaf) with the grindline through the center of the blade with a large swedge. At the time, things didn't work out. We eventually supplied Walmart because they needed a USA made knife as they were getting a lot of heat for their China production. We've been in and out of Walmart a number of times since.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FeistyKat wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:14 am
I discovered Spyderco knives in the 1980’s at the Del Mar Fair in San Diego, CA.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story, nice read! :)

The Native is a great knife indeed. I totally like its looks (the kind of look that make want to grab and use a knife immidiately) and especially the perfectly executed backlock.
I have no experience with REX 45, but a lot with HAP 40, which is basically the same steel I was told (though the cladded version Spyderco uses is hardened and will behave a tad differently, as far as I know).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Welcome to the forum & thanks for sharing your story. I especially liked your description of your reaction to the Native blade shape.
FeistyKat wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:14 am
Something about the shape of the blade touched me in a distant, ancient place. Perhaps in an earlier life I crossed the frozen Bering Straight.
The Native wasn't my first Spyderco (the Dragonfly was) but I definitely had a similar primal reaction to seeing & handling the Native in person for the first time. I'd like to think that the spearpoint design resonated with our species' collective unconscious and legacy as tool-users, and it is this connection that sparks genuine joy in the knife hobby, beyond the temporary highs provided by materialism and consumerism.
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

Hi Chris,

Welcome! These forums are awesome; easily my favorite forums I'm a member of.

I've been into knives for as long as I can remember, but didn't get my first Spyderco until 2008. It was the Native FRN. My wife and I had just moved to Indiana to start new jobs. We both are from Michigan, so it wasn't a long move, but we still didn't have any family or friends in the area. I loved my job (engineer at a medical company), but was having a difficult time adjusting, and was also pretty young (22 at the time). One of the managers kind of took me under his wing. Not only with work stuff, but also outside of work. One day I had mentioned to him that I ordered a Leatherman that I was pretty excited about. It was the Freestyle model, which at the time wasn't released for production yet. I had found one on forsale on Ebay from somebody that claimed they were an ex-Leatherman employee and the Freestyle was a proto. The price was right and the items location was Portland OR, so I figured it was worth the risk even though part of me thought the story was fabricated. As I told my coworker this story, he pulls out the Native FRN from his pocket. I remember holding it and admiring the spider web pattern and falling in love lol. That night I ordered one for myself and a pink one for my wife. The rest is history. Twelve years later my collection has fluctuated, but I'm still making monthly purchases...and have twice now included a stop at the SFO as part of my vacation itinerary. Oh yeah, the Freestyle arrived from my Ebay purchase and by all accounts, it was a proto and legitimate. Wish I still had it, but traded it for a Spyderco years ago. :D
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

sal wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:58 am
Hi Chris,

Glad you like it…..We've been in and out of Walmart a number of times since.

sal
Thanks for the story, Sal, it was an interesting look behind the scenes. Those stories are always interesting.

I guess I pulled my Clovis Point theory out of the ether. Or somewhere else…

zuludelta wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:29 pm
I'd like to think that the spearpoint design resonated with our species' collective unconscious and legacy as tool-users…
Thanks for the welcome.

I agree, I think the Native design must resonate in our collective DNA. Ah…it’s great to be a tool user!

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:16 pm
I have no experience with REX 45, but a lot with HAP 40, which is basically the same steel I was told (though the cladded version Spyderco uses is hardened and will behave a tad differently, as far as I know).
I’m thinking about how to force the patina on my Native 5. Unfortunately I don’t know enough about the process to do much more than think about doing it. I may have to create a post. It would be nice to have a sticky on this subject.

buccilli15 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:41 pm
As I told my coworker this story, he pulls out the Native FRN from his pocket. I remember holding it and admiring the spider web pattern and falling in love lol. That night I ordered one for myself and a pink one for my wife.
Buying a his & hers set was an excellent strategy!

How much did you pay for that Leatherman prototype? Tell me to bug off if I’m being rude!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've told my story about one of my Spyderco NATIVE models a couple of times in the past but it bears repeating. I was working a automotive "mod" shop about 10 years ago and I was given a job of removing a part and putting in a new part in a Ford Escape. It is too long of a story to go into details. But I went to my footlocker that I keep all my "user" knives in and pulled out my Spyderco NATIVE model 440V, Full Spyderedge. I went into the job thinking that I was going to probably destroy the knife to get the job completely done.

But at the end of the job the 440V, SE Native endured some really horrible abuse but it held together and the only thing that was hurt was the blade edge. Needless to say it was one monster of a sharpening job getting the SE NATIVE sharp again but I got the job done and the knife is still in my footlocker. Like I've said in the past if they have any 440V bar stock laying around and want to do a Sprint Run of any of the GOLDEN made models in SE I would jump on it.

The SE NATIVE is truly a "pitbull" of a knife IMO.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FeistyKat wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:18 am
sal wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:58 am
Hi Chris,

Glad you like it…..We've been in and out of Walmart a number of times since.

sal
Thanks for the story, Sal, it was an interesting look behind the scenes. Those stories are always interesting.

I guess I pulled my Clovis Point theory out of the ether. Or somewhere else…

zuludelta wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:29 pm
I'd like to think that the spearpoint design resonated with our species' collective unconscious and legacy as tool-users…
Thanks for the welcome.

I agree, I think the Native design must resonate in our collective DNA. Ah…it’s great to be a tool user!

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:16 pm

I’m thinking about how to force the patina on my Native 5. Unfortunately I don’t know enough about the process to do much more than think about doing it. I may have to create a post. It would be nice to have a sticky on this subject.

buccilli15 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:41 pm
As I told my coworker this story, he pulls out the Native FRN from his pocket. I remember holding it and admiring the spider web pattern and falling in love lol. That night I ordered one for myself and a pink one for my wife.
Buying a his & hers set was an excellent strategy!

How much did you pay for that Leatherman prototype? Tell me to bug off if I’m being rude!

Here is a quite recent thread about patina (though on Maxamet) with some great insight, especially by Mike

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86563

On my HAP 40 knives, the visible Hap 40 part of the blade (as said, it is cladded with SUS 410) "patinas" quite nicely just by cutting various food and not being overly possessed with cleaning the knife afterwards.. :rolleyes:

Same goes for a O1 knife forum member Pancake kindly gifted to me. It has an awesome Patina already, just from use (part of that in the kitchen), but no rust!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FeistyKat

Post by FeistyKat »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:07 am
Here is a quite recent thread about patina (though on Maxamet) with some great insight, especially by Mike

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86563

On my HAP 40 knives, the visible Hap 40 part of the blade (as said, it is cladded with SUS 410) "patinas" quite nicely just by cutting various food and not being overly possessed with cleaning the knife afterwards.. :rolleyes:

Same goes for a O1 knife forum member Pancake kindly gifted to me. It has an awesome Patina already, just from use (part of that in the kitchen), but no rust!

I saw (and read) that thread.

After drawing First Blood:
ZZ Native 5 3.jpg
I decided to try a little human blooood, reasoning that since I've read a few posts where people claim cutting a steak with their knife forced a patina, perhaps my blood would do the same thing, but it didn't work.

Maybe I'll try cutting a few lemons...