Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: Watu...AKA Lil Chokwe

Post by ABX2011 »

If someone wants to take theirs apart, I'd be curious to see the pivot assembly.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Sal, y’all have really outdone yourselves this time! This knife is near perfect with the thin 20cv blade, comp lock/detent, great looking CF laminate, very nice ergos and perfect deep pocket wire clip placement. I see many sprints and exclusives in its future!

I dare say this might be my favorite Spyderco to date! It checks so many boxes!

Last edited by Dazen on Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Very nice!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Dazen wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:47 pm
Sal, y’all have really outdone yourselves this time! This knife is near perfect with the thin 20cv blade, comp lock/detent, great looking CF laminate, very nice ergos and perfect deep pocket wire clip placement. I see many sprints and exclusives in its future!

Hhaha, you've actually got to use the thing before making the bold statement of it being your favorite knife! Very interested in seeing peoples thoughts and reviews on this unique piece.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:04 pm
Dazen wrote:

Hhaha, you've actually got to use the thing before making the bold statement of it being your favorite knife! Very interested in seeing peoples thoughts and reviews on this unique piece.
What do I need to use it for that I don’t already know it will do? I know it will:

Open an envelope
Open and tear down a box
Open any packaging for my kids
Cut up any food I need it for
Whittle a stick for some reason
And I’m pretty sure I could stab someone if need be

Sorry, I don’t work in an environment that requires me to have any sort of overbuilt/specialized knife. I’ve also used, handled and owned enough Spyderco’s over the years to make my own assertions without having “used” the knife. A lot of my preferences for any certain knife begins with the look and steel choice. Once I’ve handled the knife I can make my decision, like with this one.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dazen wrote:

Looks great! I should be getting mine on Friday. I can't wait. Been looking forward to this design for a long time. Still wish they would've called it the Lil Chokwe but oh well.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What does "Watu" mean?

The only reference I can find is that it's the Swahili word for the Bantu language family.
foofie

Post by foofie »

One inbound as well. Been waiting on this one for sure.
Not sure why my spydie app never alerted me. It makes me appreciate this group even more. I think :D
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:05 pm
What does "Watu" mean?

The only reference I can find is that it's the Swahili word for the Bantu language family.
I saw in a youtube vidro on this knife that it means "people" in Swahili.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Dazen wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:57 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:04 pm
Dazen wrote:

What do I need to use it for that I don’t already know it will do? I know it will:

Open an envelope
Open and tear down a box
Open any packaging for my kids
Cut up any food I need it for
Whittle a stick for some reason
And I’m pretty sure I could stab someone if need be

Sorry, I don’t work in an environment that requires me to have any sort of overbuilt/specialized knife. I’ve also used, handled and owned enough Spyderco’s over the years to make my own assertions without having “used” the knife. A lot of my preferences for any certain knife begins with the look and steel choice. Once I’ve handled the knife I can make my decision, like with this one.
I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it, just figured it takes a few days of carrying a new design to determine something like that. But hey, good for you. Didn't really need your type of response. But in reading it, makes me question why steel choice even matters for those uses when it comes to choosing a knife. VG10 or 8cr would be plenty capable.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

OK I'm in. Dazen's pic put me over the edge.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I think I'm going to crack...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I should have mine Wednesday, and I'm really looking forward to it.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Dazen wrote:
Funny thing - I was at work when I saw this post. The picture did not show up for some reason - so I thought you were speaking hypothetically about the Watu. Then I started thinking - I completely agree - love the thin blade, the steel, comp lock, clip type and placement - and I have been waiting for this to drop. So I ordered one as well. :eek:

Now that I know you actually have one - I feel even better about ordering one :o . Can't wait for mine to arrive.
Oogie

Post by Oogie »

Received mine as well today, and couldn’t be more pleased. Thin 20cv, nice mid-size design, very comfortable in hand, great action, and a pleasant departure in regards to both handle and angular blade design. Only word of cation I can think to share is for those folks that are passionately against styles where the finger choil extends into the comp lock cutout during closing, the Watu may not be your best choice.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

This is a really nice piece! Typical flawless Taichung F&F! Right off the bat, I'm very impressed with how comfortable the simple "stick" handle is.. my initial overall impressions of this knife are quite favorable!

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
SG89

Post by SG89 »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:49 am
This is a really nice piece! Typical flawless Taichung F&F! Right off the bat, I'm very impressed with how comfortable the simple "stick" handle is.. my initial overall impressions of this knife are quite favorable!

Cool flight tag where did you get it? SFO?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:51 am
DSH007 wrote:

Came in the box with my order from Cutlery Shoppe.. along with a pen and the usual lollipops.. it was a pretty nice surprise!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Just ordered one from DLT. I’ve been waiting for this one to keep my collection of the Ethnic series in tact. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:56 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:51 am
DSH007 wrote:

Came in the box with my order from Cutlery Shoppe.. along with a pen and the usual lollipops.. it was a pretty nice surprise!
Cutlery Shoppe is a class act.