Lil Native Salt SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Lil Native Salt SE

Post by Mushroom »

I agree that the blade in the rocks glass is probably a hint at an upcoming Lil Native Salt, but LC200N is also a very appropriate steel for an item like this. The glass will inevitably see a dishwasher somewhere, so it's probably best to use a steel that's rust proof.
-Nick :bug-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:53 am
i’ve been asking for this for a while now. in my mind, it would be like a mini caribbean.
We want the Lil' Temp Salt with a thinned down blade.

That would be allllright!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:59 pm
I agree that the blade in the rocks glass is probably a hint at an upcoming Lil Native Salt, but LC200N is also a very appropriate steel for an item like this. The glass will inevitably see a dishwasher somewhere, so it's probably best to use a steel that's rust proof.
I'm just gonna go out on a limb and guess that the blades in the rocks glass were unsatisfactory for some reason, and it is a way to try to recoup some of the money that was invested in production. (Mess up on heat treat, cutting blanks, etc.)

Grizz
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:27 am
Considering the blade that's in the rocks glass in the last reveal, I think a Lil' Native Salt back lock has to be coming soon.
i can appreciate the backlock. i have quite a few of them. however, if we get a lil native salt in a backlock, i'll personally have no reason to buy one. i especially won't be interested in it if it's a backlock and lw. i already have a df2 salt.

my hope is that spyderco will make a lil native salt in it's current configuration with liners, g10, and a comp lock. that would be a special little knife that isn't already covered by anything else in the catalog. i'd love the stout, little blade in lc200n and the toughness of lined g10 in a small package i could carry at work.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:40 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Considering the blade that's in the rocks glass in the last reveal, I think a Lil' Native Salt back lock has to be coming soon.

my hope is that spyderco will make a lil native salt in it's current configuration with liners, g10, and a comp lock. that would be a special little knife that isn't already covered by anything else in the catalog. i'd love the stout, little blade in lc200n and the toughness of lined g10 in a small package i could carry at work.
This
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This was a plainedge mockup, but it kept the sheepsfoot blade shape... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83586&hilit=Antilles
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Yes please.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:37 pm
This was a plainedge mockup, but it kept the sheepsfoot blade shape... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83586&hilit=Antilles

I'd be ok with that too, though I'll no doubt mod the tip into a wharnie :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

ladybug93 wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
I second this!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

ladybug93 wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
i can appreciate the backlock. i have quite a few of them. however, if we get a lil native salt in a backlock, i'll personally have no reason to buy one. i especially won't be interested in it if it's a backlock and lw. i already have a df2 salt.

The Lil' Native is a significantly more substantial knife than the DF2. I wish I'd waited for the Lil' Native Salt backlock, regardless of handle material, instead of recently buying the dainty little DF2 Salt. I like how much smoother the PB washers make the liner-less G10 Native 5 vs. the N5 LW. I also prefer the simplicity of liner-less knives. The thread inserts hold the pocket clip screws better, and deleting the liners gets rid of a place to trap dirt and moisture. As stout as the liner-less G10 Native 5 and Lil' Native back locks are, I'm not how much abuse you'd have to put one through to need steel liners. What are you doing to folding knives that size to need that much extra beef? Have you considered buying a pocket pry bar?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i know it’s more substantial. that’s why i want one, but part of that substance lies in the lined g10 handle. i like the heft in a small knife if it’s the only thing i can to carry at work.

i'm not sure where you get the idea that i use, or want to use, my knife as a pry bar. i just like the lil native and want a salt variation because i live on an island and like salt knives.

i don’t need that heft. i don’t need g10. i don’t need liners. i don’t need the thick blade stock. i like them. i like it the way it is (comp lock version), except that i would prefer lc200n.

to dismiss every request made on this forum that isn’t a need would mean erasing most of the forum. most of us talk about preferences and what we want. most of us don’t need any of these suggested upgrades or variations.

to be honest, i very rarely even take my knife out of my pocket at work. my df2 salt and cold steel tuff lite that i already carry are overkill in my job. does that mean i can’t say i’d like a lil native salt with liners and g10? no. that would be ridiculous.

furthermore, based on your logic, the lil native shouldn’t exist at all. in fact, spyderco should only have one knife. no need for variety. no need to listen to what different customers want or need. no need for a forum. just one knife that makes them different enough from other manufacturers to stay in business and nothing else.

i do appreciate the irony of you dismissing my preferences as unnecessary by stating your own though. hilarious.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The grip is more substantial with or without liners. It's closer to the Cold Steel Tuff Lite we both have. As you know, the Tuff Lite isn't larger than the DF2. But, the Tuff Lite significantly more substantial than the DF2, despite both being liner-less, plastic handle folders.

When you use "toughness" to describe why you want liners, that makes me think you want to use a knife in a more abusive manner.

Thanks for clarifying that you just want it, not that you intend to use the overkill strength of steel lined G10.

I wasn't dismissing your request, I was just disagreeing with it. Again, not saying you can't like what you like, just disagreeing. I won't quote you next time, so you don't take it so personally.

Talk about stretching a statement. How does my logic nullify the idea of the Lil' Native existing?

My preferences are based on negative experiences and problems encountered with steel lined knives. If you want to call me disagreeing with you dismissing you, that's your choice.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Would be interested in a SE leaf or sheepsfoot blade with the comp lock :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!