Apple Watch

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
markg

Re: Apple Watch

Post by markg »

On my second Apple Watch. I have worn one for years. I find it useful, and the latest one I got (forgot which generation, but a year ago) has been pretty good.

I am tempted by the one with the cellular service, however I never that far from my phone. If you have wifi, it will connect to your phone that way, if not it uses Bluetooth, and it travels quite a distance. I have never been in a situation where I have needed the cellular service, enough to justify the cost.

Battery life has been good, just a few tips to extend battery life. Don't overload the notifications, just get ones that really matter. I cut out emails, and news updates. I pretty much just get text messages. Also, switch to "theater mode" which means you have to tap the screen to get it on, if not it comes on every time you have your wrist level, which is a lot when driving. That simple trick has extended battery life a lot.

They charge pretty quick, about an hour is enough. I wear mine when asleep. I a a volunteer FF, and I get a notification from an app when we have a call, it buzzes my wrist and is enough to wake me up a night.

Unless you just hate the style, the basic band works well. You also don't need the fancy screen protectors, the screen holds up well enough on its own.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Next question is if you were to pick the best material what would it be
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I can't help with that--I've just got the basic low end stock model (off the shelf at Costco) and I'm perfectly happy with it.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Ok all I’m asking is if you were to pick the best material aluminum, stainless steel, ceramic Or titanium what would you pick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If cost was not an issue I'd probably go with titanium. With the current price difference, I'd go with basic aluminum, because I don't think the ti is worth the increased price.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Yeah, titanium is a challenge to machine, but not an extra $400 worth.

A while back we had budget plumbing fixtures in our house. I was visiting a friend who had very expensive gold fixtures in the bathroom. There were scratches and calcium on his high-zoot hardware. My inexpensive fixtures looked better, and if they ever got ugly, I’d throw them out. Today we have nicer fixtures, but not gold. But this story is analogous to watches. You can get the Ti model for twice as much as the Al. But it will get beat up just as quickly, and in a couple years it will be obsolete. Functionally, the Ti and Al are identical. But if you throw down an extra four Benjamin’s, you can relish the knowledge that you’re rockin’ the fancier model.