Next Pacific Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Next Pacific Salt

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:42 am
Hi Whatever,

Interesting thought. Personally I like good Sake.

We're in the process of making tooling for a Pacific Salt 2. It will be made with the same pattern as the Endura 4 (I know some people don't like the handle pattern but most do ). It will be made the same as the Salt 2 with no liners, just a internal FRN frame.

We will be using H1 in both plain edge and serrated edge. I know some don't like the edge retention of PE H1, but some do, including me because it gets very sharp. It just need to be sharpened more often, which I for one am willing to do. Easy peasy with a Sharp-maker. We have also worked with our Seki maker to use LC and I have an LC Pacific Salt PE that I've been using for 6 months and it's also very nice and hard enough. We do have plans for the future, as you might expect? There are also more things in-the-works that I cannot mention at this time. Thanx for your interest.

sal
Thank yo so much for such a comprehensive reply. What do you think about a Spydie edged straight spine stretch in DLC in H1?

I will buy at-least two.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

I'm still waiting for that salty LW Dyad with LC-PE and H1-SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

npad69 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:47 am
That's actually a brilliant idea...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

npad69 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:47 am
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I assume it will be just a tad longer, and just a tad heavier, not significantly so, like the Salt 1 vs Salt 2?
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

While I normally use/carry smaller knives, this one may be something I will try. I refrained from buying a se pac salt, even when on closeout. I like the feel of the endura and endela just enough more to wait. While I would love to see an endela salt, not sure it will happen.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I'm honestly more appreciative of H1 serrated than LC200N plain or serrated. It's a better overall steel imho. I'm happy to see it's not ditched
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I have to try full SE knife first, but I like the idea of a FFG SE LC200N big backlock knife.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:05 pm
I have to try full SE knife first, but I like the idea of a FFG SE LC200N big backlock knife.

I am pretty sure you can do so soon... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:09 pm
I assume it will be just a tad longer, and just a tad heavier, not significantly so, like the Salt 1 vs Salt 2?

Probably safe to assume that it'll at least be slightly heavier since the handle will be much more than flat slabs of FRN but probably not enough to matter. Less than .5oz I'm guessing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:27 pm
cabfrank wrote:

Probably safe to assume that it'll at least be slightly heavier since the handle will be much more than flat slabs of FRN but probably not enough to matter. Less than .5oz I'm guessing.

May I ask: What are you guys talking about exactly?

Is it, that the Pac Salt 2 with a linerless Endura 4 handle will be heavier than the current Pac Salt with its (linerless of course) Endura 3 handle?
If so, why should this be? I don't think that the E4 handle has more material than the E3 handle, in a way it looks even slimmer.

But maybe you mean something different.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:43 pm
Evil D wrote:
cabfrank wrote:

Is it, that the Pac Salt 2 with a linerless Endura 4 handle will be heavier than the current Pac Salt with its (linerless of course) Endura 3 handle?
If so, why should this be? I don't think that the E4 handle has more material than the E3 handle, in a way it looks even slimmer.

The Salt 2 handle has webbing molded inside the scales and are thicker than the standard Salt 1 scales (per side I mean) so assuming that the Pacific 2 is made the same way, the handle has more going on than the current version.

Then again the difference may be negotiable, Spyderco lists the Salt 1 weight as 2.0oz and the Salt 2 weight as 2.1oz so we're talking about a very small increase in weight but I would expect it to be thicker side to side than the current Pacific/Endura due to the webbing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:56 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:43 pm
Evil D wrote:
cabfrank wrote:

The Salt 2 handle has webbing molded inside the scales and are thicker than the standard Salt 1 scales (per side I mean) so assuming that the Pacific 2 is made the same way, the handle has more going on than the current version.

Then again the difference may be negotiable, Spyderco lists the Salt 1 weight as 2.0oz and the Salt 2 weight as 2.1oz so we're talking about a very small increase in weight but I would expect it to be thicker side to side than the current Pacific/Endura due to the webbing.
Thanks for the clarification, didn't know that, for the current Pac Salt is my first and only Salt knife so far
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:26 pm
Pancake wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:05 pm

I am pretty sure you can do so soon... ;)
Oh yeah, one very fine gentleman sended one Pac Salt my way :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45