Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by Wartstein »

Sirens1 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:21 am
SS Stretch = Perfect knife.
Feels unearthly. I own many, many SPYDERCO'S and this is one of my top 3 favorites. I can't quite find the words to describe it. I firmly believe they would be sold out if only people could handle one ...
That was always the thing with also the "regular" Stretch... too few actually got one in hand I think, but most of those who actually did, discovered the "Stretch magic" as far as I can see...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Shoop

Post by Shoop »

dan31 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:09 am
Ugh!! This thread made me order a HAP40 Stretch 1.
**** I need to use that one with my wife: “The thread made me do it! I had absolutely no part of buying that new knife.” Thanks Dan31... I am set now. ;-)

Actually, your reply is quite applicable to me as well. I was on the fence on the SS Stretch, but reading all the feedback here pushed me over the edge. Thanks to all who have contributed. Looking forward to adding this to my Stretch-Collection (currently a G10, which got it all started, a BRG ZDP-189, and the VTOKU).
jdw

Post by jdw »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:38 am
dan31 wrote:
Which was a GREAT decision... (imho in that exact configuration perhaps the best EDC folder I am aware of)
I really had made a firm commitment to not buy any 'new' knives until next year...but me too....I gifted two and I lost one. I hope that I can hang on to this one. Some knives are the perfect steel/design combination and this one does it for me. Dang thread.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jdw wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:38 am
dan31 wrote:
Which was a GREAT decision... (imho in that exact configuration perhaps the best EDC folder I am aware of)
I really had made a firm commitment to not buy any 'new' knives until next year...but me too....I gifted two and I lost one. I hope that I can hang on to this one. Some knives are the perfect steel/design combination and this one does it for me. Dang thread.
Renounce one knife next year instead... the Stretch 1 in HAP 40 is worth it, regardless which other knife you´ll perhaps pass up for it :)
As you say, it is just perfect. And who knows for how much longer it can be found for a reasonable price anyway...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Shoop,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
abiggs

Post by abiggs »

I’m happy to see so many Stretch lovers show up in this thread! The Stretch 1 is my favorite, but I’m really loving this SS version of the 2. I’ve carried a ZDP Stretch 1 for years and it’s easily in my top 3 favorites. I’ve bought a couple VG10 and HAP40 variants as backups because I’ve decided I NEVER want to be without a Stretch 1 in my rotation!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Oddly enough the very few dealers in Europe who have the SS Stretch listed, have it still just on preorder , except one (coutellerie tourangelle), but that one has it in stock for several weeks already (and still at this point). :confused:

One shop even says it will be available not before Jan 10th 2020.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Abiggs,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abiggs wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:12 pm
I’m happy to see so many Stretch lovers show up in this thread! The Stretch 1 is my favorite, but I’m really loving this SS version of the 2. I’ve carried a ZDP Stretch 1 for years and it’s easily in my top 3 favorites. I’ve bought a couple VG10 and HAP40 variants as backups because I’ve decided I NEVER want to be without a Stretch 1 in my rotation!

I fully get that... ;)
Shoop

Post by Shoop »

It has arrived. One word: wow. First impressions about the ivory is that I REALLY like it. Unique and handsome. Next up is the blade centering and grind... perfect on both fronts. Action? Better than my other Stretch’s, even on the first opening. This is going to be fun. Question is if I pick up another one - keeping one pristine, and enjoy the heck out of the other. What do you all do with something unique like this? Just curious.
And Sal, thank you for the personal welcome. You clearly take passion in what you do, and really enjoy it too. You’re a lucky man.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Finally arrived. Many days late but its here and no issues. Centering is good. Grind is good.
Maybe the sharpest out of the box I have experienced. You guys were right. This one’s great. Never knew I needed this in my life. Love it.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Wahoooo Good for you early Merry Christmas!!!! Ho, ho, Ho, Ho, HO, HO, HO!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:18 pm
Wahoooo Good for you early Merry Christmas!!!! Ho, ho, Ho, Ho, HO, HO, HO!
Thanks man. Well, he is wearing white. Now if I could get one in red too that would really make the Santa suit.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Can anyone post a comparison pic of the "regular" (drop point) and the sprint run straight spine Stretch 2?

I´d particullary be interested in if they feature the exact same belly and the exact same blade and edge length (the Spydie Wiki states that the SS ivory Stretch would have a slightly longer blade, like 1mm)

Funny thing is: I had a ("regular", drop point) Stretch 2, but at that time I figured, I´d prefer the Stretch 1 (of which I have several) for its longer edge, shorter closed package, a bit pointier tip and slightly deeper carry. The ergos of the "2" felt great, but not significantly better than on the "1"
But now that I have my Straight Spine Stretch 2, I suddenly definitely think that the handle ergos are a noticable improvement over the already great ones of the "1", and even think of getting another (regular, drop point) Stretch 2.
IF it has at least the same cutting edge and belly as the SS ivory Stretch 2 that is...
jdw

Post by jdw »

Shoop wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:36 pm
It has arrived. One word: wow. First impressions about the ivory is that I REALLY like it. Unique and handsome. Next up is the blade centering and grind... perfect on both fronts. Action? Better than my other Stretch’s, even on the first opening. This is going to be fun. Question is if I pick up another one - keeping one pristine, and enjoy the heck out of the other. What do you all do with something unique like this? Just curious.
And Sal, thank you for the personal welcome. You clearly take passion in what you do, and really enjoy it too. You’re a lucky man.
Of the knives that I keep but don't regularly use..I have a very few knives that I keep a backup (52100 Millie), a few ethnic models that are just beautiful to appreciate the history and design, and a few that I just like. My suggestion, store one, use one, then if your love affair with the knife evolves, gift the extra to someone. JMO
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Shoop wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:36 pm
Yes, it's great! :)

As for your question: I'll use it. As much as possible... ;)
Shoop

Post by Shoop »

Wartstein, sorry about the odd orientation of my image, but it may actually be best for what you'd like to see. The flat and belly of the cutting edges sure seem to be the same to me, at least comparing my G10 to the SS...
IMG_7373.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Shoop wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:11 am
Wartstein, sorry about the odd orientation of my image, but it may actually be best for what you'd like to see. The flat and belly of the cutting edges sure seem to be the same to me, at least comparing my G10 to the SS...
IMG_7373.jpg
Thanks a lot! Yes, that's the comparison I wanted to see, but unfortunately it does not show what I hoped to see... Why?:

Well,
- The G10 Stretch 2 seems to have the same blade and edge length as the Ivory Straight Spine Stretch 2.
- But the G 10 Stretch 2 also has a blade and an edge that are 3mm longer than on the "regular" (not straight spine) FRN Stretch 2...
- Which means consequently, that the regular FRN Stretch 2 also has a shorter blade and edge than the Straight Spine Ivory Stretch 2... and that I would not like

One of the reasons why I always prefered the Stretch 1 (one) over the FRN Stretch 2 (two) was the significantly longer cutting edge of the Stretch 1 (one).
Now that difference is not so pronounced when comparing the Stretch 1 to the straight spine Stretch 2 (see pic below, sorry for the dirty blade of the Stretch 1, carried it today and did not take the time to clean it.. :o )

Specs from the Spyderco site:

Stretch 1 :Blade 3.5, edge 3.188;
Stretch 2 G10: Blade 3.57, edge 3.10 (yes, longer blade, but shorter actual cutting edge due to the wider choil)
Stretch 2 Straight Spine: Blade 3.48; edge: 3.01
Stretch 2 FRN: Blade 3.43; edge 2.97

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above: May I ask once more: Can anyone post a comparison pic between the "regular" FRN Stretch 2 and the Ivory Straight spine model? I am especially interested in the difference in bladelength, edgelength and possibly amount of belly...
Shoop

Post by Shoop »

Wartstein,

So close to getting you the info you requested! Will a British Racing Green FRN ZDP-189 Stretch 2 do?

Bob