NFL Season: 2019-2020

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: NFL Season: 2019-2020

Post by JD Spydo »

IF I was Jason Garrett I don't think I could even face Jerry Jones this morning. After the Bears gave the Cowboys a good butt whoopin last night.

At some point Jerry Jones is going to have to fire Garrett within the season just to save face :o

Yeah I know I picked the Bears to win last nights game but I really thought it was sort of a long shot. I'm wondering now if the Cowboys are even going to play .500 ball this year :o It must be really painful to be a Cowboys fan at this time. :o
SG89

Post by SG89 »

It's always painful to be a Cowboys fan. The crazy part is they are still first in the division. Hope for the hopeless.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:17 am
It's always painful to be a Cowboys fan. The crazy part is they are still first in the division. Hope for the hopeless.
I know the feeling very well Spyder-Girl :o For the past two years being a Chief's fan hasn't been a bowl of cherries either :o

But the firing of Jason Garrett is at least 2 to 3 years overdue IMO. I would not want to be in his shoes now for any amount of money :(
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

DFC003D2-20E4-4D4D-87AD-52BC41F39C8A.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well the raw truth of that matter is the Cowboys have one of the most loyal fan bases of about any professional sports team. And I would say that with all the unconditional support that the Cowboy fans have given over the years I do think that they deserve far better than what they are getting.

I have no idea what Jason Garrett might possess that he could blackmail Jerry Jones with but it has to be something pretty serious for him to continue as head coach :rolleyes: .

Because when you look at the big picture something just doesn't make any sense at all concerning his majesty Jerry Jones>> we're talking about a guy who fired Tom Landry ( arguably one of the top 3 NFL coaches of all time). We're talking about the same guy that fired Jimmy Johnson who delivered 2 successful Superbowls for him. But he puts up with Jason Garrett's horribly mediocre coaching job for almost 10 years now. I'll let all you dwell on that one for a while. If I'm wrong please tell me where I'm wrong :confused:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, from the looks of things as they are right now, I would say that we have already had a preview of the Super Bowl.
San Francisco vs Baltimore.
The 49'ers are just flat out good and, unless anyone in the AFC can find a way to stop Lamar Jackson, then it will prolly be these two on Championship Sunday.
Just my 2 pennies.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

As far Lamar Jackson?
Is he a one hit wonder per say, or is he the real deal?
I'll be honest. I think of Jackson as I did Michael Vick and Robert Griffin III. Although Jackson, is prolly arguably more talented than either, I believe that the NFL, will figure him out. Or, he could wind up injured like Griffin III, and never be the same. That was a real shame by the way. I really like RGIII.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JD,
As much as I think the Jerrah is the problem in Dallas, he is right to hang on to a good coach for as long as possible. The best teams have continuity. Dallas has an interesting coaching history. Tom Landry for almost 30 years, then jimmy Johnson and berry switzer. All these guys won the big game. Since then (1998, 20 years?) its been a revolving door. Some playoff appearances but only a few wins and not the big game. If they can find someone good enough, get him the talent, then good things can happen.

Reports are that Jerrah really likes Garrett but maybe the time has come. Watching the other night, the players were frustrated but executed poorly. The assistant coaches were frustrated. Garrett seemed ok with it, checked out, oblivious. Not sure but less fired up than everyone else.
The play was bad. Did they practice at all this week? They seem to have talent. They came close to a come back but can’t get out of their own way. A switch to clear the air and they could be really, really good.
It all starts at the top. The only thing consistent in 20 years of losing is Jerrah.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:40 pm
As far Lamar Jackson?
I'll be honest. I think of Jackson as I did Michael Vick and Robert Griffin III. Although Jackson, is prolly arguably more talented than either, I believe that the NFL, will figure him out. Or, he could wind up injured like Griffin III, and never be the same. That was a real shame by the way. I really like RGIII.
There is something to be said for "One Hit Wonders" as far as NFL QBs are concerned. Anyone remember Scott Mitchell :rolleyes: Or Todd Marinovich :( Or does Elvis Grbac ring a bell :eek: >> I could make a very long list of QBs who showed promise but got their bubble popped very quickly.

Michael Vick truly was a tragedy>> he just couldn't get out of his ghetto environment. If he would have had an Andy Reid or Dick Vermeil type coach to set some parameters on him he could have been another Joe Montana under the right circumstances. That truly was like winning the lottery and deliberately flushing the ticket down the toilet :(

Look how quick the Jared Goff bubble has seemingly faded away :( I just hope that Patrick Mahomes can stay focused.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:48 am
MacLaren wrote:
As far Lamar Jackson?
There is something to be said for "One Hit Wonders" as far as NFL QBs are concerned. Anyone remember Scott Mitchell :rolleyes: Or Todd Marinovich :( Or does Elvis Grbac ring a bell :eek: >> I could make a very long list of QBs who showed promise but got their bubble popped very quickly.

Michael Vick truly was a tragedy>> he just couldn't get out of his ghetto environment. If he would have had an Andy Reid or Dick Vermeil type coach to set some parameters on him he could have been another Joe Montana under the right circumstances. That truly was like winning the lottery and deliberately flushing the ticket down the toilet :(

Look how quick the Jared Goff bubble has seemingly faded away :( I just hope that Patrick Mahomes can stay focused.
JD, I always wander what things wouldve been like had RGIII remained healthy.
Ya know, we can maybe say that Baltimore might be a safe bet to wear the AFC Crown this year, but I nor anyone should doubt either Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes.
Because there is a big difference between the regular season and the playoffs. I think I got a little ahead of myself when I said Baltimore will prolly be playing on Championship Sunday.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Here in NY, tomorrow is going to be a GREAT day of football games! Televised games are Ravens/Bills and 49ers/Saints at 1:00. Then Chiefs/Pats at 4:25 and obviously the Seahawks/Rams Sunday night. Best slate of games I've got to see all year, all games with major playoff implications!

If the Bills win, and Pats lose...that AFC East is going to be very interesting for the first time in like 20 years! haha
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:16 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:48 am
MacLaren wrote:
As far Lamar Jackson?

JD, I always wander what things wouldve been like had RGIII remained healthy.
Ya know, we can maybe say that Baltimore might be a safe bet to wear the AFC Crown this year, but I nor anyone should doubt either Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes.
Because there is a big difference between the regular season and the playoffs. I think I got a little ahead of myself when I said Baltimore will prolly be playing on Championship Sunday.
Well I will say this much. Tomorrow will be "Put Up OR Shut Up" time for the KC Chiefs. If they can beat Lord Brady on his home turf tomorrow it will create a momentum that will make it hard to beat the Chiefs in the home stretch. They need to get over that hump of "Can't Win The Big One".

If Andy Reid could get over that hump of winning the big one>> he could dethrone Emperor Belly-Check. He sure has a QB that could get it done. Tomorrow will be a day of destiny for the Chiefs. I'm not afraid of the Ravens because we've beat them the last two times we've played. The Chiefs just have to learn how not to beat themselves IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:20 am
Here in NY, tomorrow is going to be a GREAT day of football games! Televised games are Ravens/Bills and 49ers/Saints at 1:00. Then Chiefs/Pats at 4:25 and obviously the Seahawks/Rams Sunday night. Best slate of games I've got to see all year, all games with major playoff implications!

If the Bills win, and Pats lose...that AFC East is going to be very interesting for the first time in like 20 years! haha
If the Chiefs can pull off a minor miracle tomorrow I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the Bills could win that division. The Chief's defense has ramped upward quite a bit in the last 4 to 5 games.

The Bills beating the Cowboys was not a fluke at all. Their defense is truly to be taken seriously. And if the Bills can beat the Ravens it will change the entire landscape in the AFC
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:20 am

While I'm obviously hoping the Patriots win tomorrow (HUGE game) I'm also going to be singing this around 1 o clock!!

https://youtu.be/1JpeDWbgUO8

If the Bills can beat the Ravens and the Patriots beat the Chiefs, the Pats will be back in the number one spot in the AFC!!!

Soooo... (for the first and only time ever) LETS GO BUFFALOOOO!!!! :D
- Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Just looked at my list for week #14. I'm staying with all my picks for this week
(1) Bears over Cowboys ( already nailed that one)
(2) Falcons over Panthers ( Matt Ryan and Julio Jones will shine)
(3) Dolfins over Jets ( Without LeVeon Bell not a chance)
(4)Saints over 49ers ( Brees will prevail over Garroppolo)
(5) Bills over Ravens ( Bills have a great defense, Ravens will be exposed)
(6) Steelers over Cardinals ( Steelers can still make the playoffs)
(7) Raiders over the Titans ( Raiders are better than their record indicates)
(8) Giants over Eagles ( Does anyone really expect anything from Wentz anymore?)
(9) THEE CHIEFS over thee EVIL EMPIRE (pats) ( The dark side will meet Luke Skywalker -Mahomes :cool: )

About one hour till kickoff>> this will be a most interesting week for sure.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Holy Cow. What a game between the Niners and Saints!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Is it me or is the playoffs this year going to be epic? Logjam of really good teams: 49ers, saints, Seahawks, ravens, patriots, bills, packers and Vikings. Not sure there really is a favorite but there will be some real heartbreakers this year.
Edit: let’s throw the chiefs in there too. They look to be moving to 9-4 today too.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Well, this Patriots game was so goddamn frustrating. The Patriots looked terrible early in the game but it was encouraging to see them eventually start doing what they needed to do.

Obviously, with how the Patriots played early on, I can't put all the blame on the refs but officiating in this game was absolutely horrendous. Probably the worst it's been all year. :eek: Things like screwing up an easy coaches challenge consequently robbing the Patriots of their last coaches challenge, whistling a fumble recovery dead with big potential for a scoop and score, calling an obvious touchdown out of bounds so it can't be reviewed, taking back a touchdown without clear evidence that it wasn't a catch, not calling a BLATANT defensive pass interference call to put the Patriots deep in the Chiefs redzone... and the list could go on.

Sure, bad calls happen in every game but this officiating in this game was beyond bad.

MacLaren wrote:Holy Cow. What a game between the Niners and Saints!
Potential NFC Championship preview right there! It was a really great game.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:59 pm
Holy Cow. What a game between the Niners and Saints!
Yeah I messed up that pick. But the Chiefs handing a well deserved defeat to the EVIL EMPIRE was a satisfaction that's well overdue IMO :cool:

It's a darn shame that Buffalo couldn't have won their game too :( . But I'll be pulling for them to capture the AFC East.

These last 3 games should make for some really great games to finish the regular season with. This year has been beyond belief with all the upsets.

It's also been a super year for Back uP QBs and Rookie QBs>> really I don't remember a year quite like it.

Needless to say the whole town of KC is in major party mode this evening :cool:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thinking about it some more, that Patriots/Chiefs game might have actually been the worst officiated NFL game ever. The REFS THEMSELVES were personally responsible for taking 12 combined points away from the Patriots and a pass interference non call as blatant as the non call in the Saints/Rams game last year.

None the less, we're on to Cincinnati. ;)