Late to the party: what is missing in the catalog

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SF Native

Late to the party: what is missing in the catalog

Post by SF Native »

So, I finally got a manix backlock. Yes, I’m late to the party. I like the regular manix but this is better.
Things I like:
The “fine” finish on the g10 is great. How have we not seen this on more knives. We see “smooth” but not this “fine”. We need more of the fine finish.
4 way clip on this is nice. But maybe not necessary as the backlock has that nice closing bias.
The backlock has a nice “clack” when opening.
Don’t miss the liners.
High level of fit and finish on this one.
Less jimping is ok. Wide with back spacer will be good for hard use.
I would really like the st nicks or bladehq treatment in this model. It’s really a hidden gem. The right combination would take off like the cruwear shaman. (Don’t get your hopes up, pretty sure this linerless model won’t work with micarta).

This model make me think that the spyderco catelog is missing higher end, g10 backlocks. There are a few (native, dragonfly, civilian, chaparral, etc) but I think we could use some more. This is nice. That sage backlock would be nice.
The other thing that is missing is a higher end model like the polestar/Alcyone. Choil free handles. Wolfspyder and Caribbean are closest. A few more in this family would be nice.

What do you guys think?
Pancake

Re: Late to the party: what is missing in the catalog

Post by Pancake »

Native Chief is the ultimate high end backlock IMO in catalog right now.
Manix backlock is cool, but....there is one big BUT.....and that is the blade stock. I think a lot of people were turned off by the 3,6 or even 3,8 mm stock. Why? 3 mm is in normal Manix, so why is backlock thicker.

Manix backlock should deserve another run....with thinner stock, backlock, and XL version.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Police 4 is a phenomenal G10 backlock. I'd pick one up while you stil can if the size works for you, they were recently discontinued.

The C95 Manix is probably the nicest backlock I've used.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Siren will most likely be another REALLY nice G10 backlock knife.

Generally I prefer FRN anyway, but regardless of the handle material I´d really like to see ffg backlock models with the egde going all the way back to the handle (like on the Centofante (but this one has a hollow/sabre grind)).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Wharnie Byrds.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:59 pm
Native Chief is the ultimate high end backlock IMO in catalog right now.
Manix backlock is cool, but....there is one big BUT.....and that is the blade stock. I think a lot of people were turned off by the 3,6 or even 3,8 mm stock. Why? 3 mm is in normal Manix, so why is backlock thicker.

Manix backlock should deserve another run....with thinner stock, backlock, and XL version.
Right, I don´t get that too: Technically one of the advantages of the backlock is exactly, that it is still very strong and reliable with thinner stock (while comp.lock and liner lock profite from thicker stock and by that more lock interface).
For a rather small blade like the Manix has, 3mm really would be the better choice imho (and seemingly works perfectly well even on the Manix XL)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Oh yeah, I completly forgot about G10 Police 4, excellent piece, but the fit and finish from Seki is not as nice as Golden made Chief (have them both).
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Well, you guys hit it right on the head.
The k390 police and chief are certainly tempting. Who doesn’t like k390? And that chief looks amazing. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

We know a backlock can have thin blade stock. Just look at the chaparral. I think the thicker blade stock on the manix backlock just balanced the thicker g10. It probably just looked better. So far, it works really well. No issues.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I have been thinking this the past few days.
Why arent there more g10 Golden made backlocks? The already discontinued manix 2 backlock, the native family, and the upcoming siren are all that comes to mind.

This is a shame because the backlocks that currently come out of Golden are probobably the best I have handled. Also they have a great price point for high quality US made knives.

I would definitely like to see more large, hard use, g10 Golden made backlocks available.

Also I know the thin crowd will disagree but I like a thicker blade in my larger knives.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Long and thin stock, Golden quality backlocks are always welcome, great thread.

Military backlock would be so amazing. Sure i’m not the first one to say it lol.

Th Kapara would also be amanzing design for that classic lock mechanism imo.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

geronm042 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:23 am

Military backlock would be so amazing. Sure i’m not the first one to say it lol.

MAN!! Can you read my thoughts? ;)

Concerning the Kapara: I had one, it´s an almost perfect design (Endura-ish actual cutting edge in a still slimmer and shorter package; perfect small choil, that sacfrifices almost no cutting edge but still leaves enough space for a four finger grip behind the choil; thin, slicey blade, still somewhat stronger tip; and so on..)
If it had a backlock, I would not have sold mine. Also did not like the deep carry wire clip (not fond of wire clips generally, but deep carry on such a rather long knife makes no sense imho (other than wanting or having to conceil the knife).
A cheaper backlock FRN version would be great too...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Manix backlock is excellent.

I sold my Shaman after I got one, partly for the lower weight, partly because I was happier to carry it more cos’it cost less, and there was little difference in blade effectiveness *for me*.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Another thing that´s missing in the catalog:

More ffg (!) serrated blades, preferably in the thinner, 3mm stock. At least the regular (so not only wharnie) Endura and Delica really should come in ffg SE like the Endela does (but also additionally furthermore in sabregrind SE and especially in sabre grind CE)
geronm042

Post by geronm042 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:25 am
geronm042 wrote:

Concerning the Kapara: I had one, it´s an almost perfect design (Endura-ish actual cutting edge in a still slimmer and shorter package; perfect small choil, that sacfrifices almost no cutting edge but still leaves enough space for a four finger grip behind the choil; thin, slicey blade, still somewhat stronger tip; and so on..)
If it had a backlock, I would not have sold mine. Also did not like the deep carry wire clip (not fond of wire clips generally, but deep carry on such a rather long knife makes no sense imho (other than wanting or having to conceil the knife).
That frn Kapara sound like a plan :D

Still really very close to pull the trigger on that one in it’s current form... what a nice blade.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SF Native wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:50 pm
So, I finally got a manix backlock. Yes, I’m late to the party. I like the regular manix but this is better.
Things I like:
The “fine” finish on the g10 is great. How have we not seen this on more knives. We see “smooth” but not this “fine”. We need more of the fine finish.
4 way clip on this is nice. But maybe not necessary as the backlock has that nice closing bias.
The backlock has a nice “clack” when opening.
Don’t miss the liners.
High level of fit and finish on this one.
Less jimping is ok. Wide with back spacer will be good for hard use.
I would really like the st nicks or bladehq treatment in this model. It’s really a hidden gem. The right combination would take off like the cruwear shaman. (Don’t get your hopes up, pretty sure this linerless model won’t work with micarta).

This model make me think that the spyderco catelog is missing higher end, g10 backlocks. There are a few (native, dragonfly, civilian, chaparral, etc) but I think we could use some more. This is nice. That sage backlock would be nice.
The other thing that is missing is a higher end model like the polestar/Alcyone. Choil free handles. Wolfspyder and Caribbean are closest. A few more in this family would be nice.

What do you guys think?

Some folks like tip down because it allows them to grab the Spyderhole and Spydie drop open for rapid deployment. I've seen Sal do that with a Police and it was a sight to behold. :eek: :D

As for linerless Micarta midlocks, given that the Micarta Goddards, Calypso Jr, Calypso, and a number of others were linerless I would not rule it out completely.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Wartstein wrote:
geronm042 wrote:

I think my kapara would get more pocket time if it was a back lock. I love the ergos and the blade, but the knife is so narrow where you need to grip it to disengage the compression lock that it's awkward. I can live with the wire clip but I hate the way it moves around and the spring tension on mine is lacking. That combined with the smooth CF means it has come out of the pocket unintentionally a couple of times.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
geronm042 wrote:

I think my kapara would get more pocket time if it was a back lock. I love the ergos and the blade, but the knife is so narrow where you need to grip it to disengage the compression lock that it's awkward. I can live with the wire clip but I hate the way it moves around and the spring tension on mine is lacking. That combined with the smooth CF means it has come out of the pocket unintentionally a couple of times.

Yep, that´s a small disadvantage of the compression lock the way most people close it, and gets more noticeable the narrower the knife and the smaller the coutout for the lock is: As you say, a bit awkard to close or even a bit prone to drop the knife.
Backlock, textured FRN and (non deep carry) hourglass clip would most likely safe all of your "problems"...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll eventually regret not getting one. I was really interesting in the extra thick scales and lack of liners so I could mod the crap out of it but other models just took priority over it. Sometimes Spyderco are their own worst competition.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:50 am
I'll eventually regret not getting one. I was really interesting in the extra thick scales and lack of liners so I could mod the crap out of it but other models just took priority over it. Sometimes Spyderco are their own worst competition.

That seems to be the problem(?) For me anyways.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Monty

Post by Monty »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:48 am
Another thing that´s missing in the catalog:

More ffg (!) serrated blades, preferably in the thinner, 3mm stock. At least the regular (so not only wharnie) Endura and Delica really should come in ffg SE like the Endela does (but also additionally furthermore in sabregrind SE and especially in sabre grind CE)
Along this line, I'm really hoping the Siren gets a SE version soon. I'm a bit disappointed it wasn't an option right from the start.