Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Swick 5 Wharnie in LC200N

Post by sal »

I prefer shorter blades when using a Perrin finger ring on my designs. I believe a longer blade will have too long of a leverage arm for the finger ring.

Also, while this design offers much in variety of use, it is more design specific.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

That makes sense to me.

Any word on the scale material? I'm thrilled this run is including scales from the factory.

Carrying my Swick 3 right now in celebration of the good news :D
:unicorn
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Sweet!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Vivi,

Early scales will be G-10 like the Waterway. Then we'll move to FRN to lower cost.

sal
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

If you are already planning on transitioning manufacturing material at some point to reduce costs, I’m hoping that implies a longer term production run than the first iterations.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:06 pm
Hi Vivi,

Early scales will be G-10 like the Waterway. Then we'll move to FRN to lower cost.

sal
I will be pre-ordering ASAP.

Thanks for bringing this back, Sal. If you gave me the ability to pick any discontinued model to bring back, the Swick would be among my first choices, and LC200N is the very steel I would choose.
sal

Post by sal »

Ez556 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:14 pm
If you are already planning on transitioning manufacturing material at some point to reduce costs, I’m hoping that implies a longer term production run than the first iterations.

Hi Ez,

The plan is for regular production. I've been refining this concept for the past 20 years.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is good news, indeed. LC200n + wharncliffe +Swick = win win.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

What is the size difference between this one and the ARK for a neck knife?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:52 am
For pure neck carry the Ark would be a better choice IMO. I never use neck carry, but the Ark is a lot lighter than my Swick with G10 scales.

However, I find the Swick a much more useful design.

Four finger grip VS 3

Negative blade angle VS positive angle

Wharncliffe blade shape that grabs material like a hawkbill due to the negative angle, VS an upswept bowie shape where everything slides off the tip on a draw cut.

Comfortable for hard use VS not.

Here's some comparison photos. Obviously my Ark has been modded, but the overall length remains the same as a stock Ark.

I cannot put my thumb on the spine of a stock Ark in a way that is comfortable. I have to grind off the spyder hole. I think the Ark is a victim of its design philosophy. It sacrifices attributes that would let it excel as a utility knife for its self defense mission. I can't grade the Ark in that respect because I carry S&W rather than Spyderco for that role. I've attempted to employ the Ark as a pure utility knife, and my mods reflect that.

Comparing the two feels like comparing an FRN Dragonfly to a G10 Manix 2. The Swick feels so much more substantial and gives me that full sized knife feeling, while the Ark never has.

The only thing I prefer on the Ark VS the Swick, is the former is rust proof. Once the Swick 5 is out, that's a moot point.

Imagine doing a utility draw cut with each knife. The Ark wants to slip while the Swick wants to bite.

I'd try to make the Swick work for your needs and carry preferences if you could. I feel its a better design overall. The Ark is a more specialized knife. It does what it sets out to do very well, but the role it fills is more niche.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:12 am
Dazen wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:52 am
For pure neck carry the Ark would be a better choice IMO. I never use neck carry, but the Ark is a lot lighter than my Swick with G10 scales.

However, I find the Swick a much more useful design.

Four finger grip VS 3

Negative blade angle VS positive angle

Wharncliffe blade shape that grabs material like a hawkbill due to the negative angle, VS an upswept bowie shape where everything slides off the tip on a draw cut.

Comfortable for hard use VS not.

Here's some comparison photos. Obviously my Ark has been modded, but the overall length remains the same as a stock Ark.

I cannot put my thumb on the spine of a stock Ark in a way that is comfortable. I have to grind off the spyder hole. I think the Ark is a victim of its design philosophy. It sacrifices attributes that would let it excel as a utility knife for its self defense mission. I can't grade the Ark in that respect because I carry S&W rather than Spyderco for that role. I've attempted to employ the Ark as a pure utility knife, and my mods reflect that.

Comparing the two feels like comparing an FRN Dragonfly to a G10 Manix 2. The Swick feels so much more substantial and gives me that full sized knife feeling, while the Ark never has.

The only thing I prefer on the Ark VS the Swick, is the former is rust proof. Once the Swick 5 is out, that's a moot point.

Imagine doing a utility draw cut with each knife. The Ark wants to slip while the Swick wants to bite.

I'd try to make the Swick work for your needs and carry preferences if you could. I feel its a better design overall. The Ark is a more specialized knife. It does what it sets out to do very well, but the role it fills is more niche.
Thanks, I do wonder what the two finger design does to the dimensions of the Swick. But overall the Swick does look compact enough for any purpose.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yeah, the Swick is just a bit longer than a folded Pacific Salt, while being enough knife for anything I need outside of food prep. It is one of Sal's most under appreciated designs in my eyes. Hope this new run revitalizes interest.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:29 am
Ez556 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi Ez,

The plan is for regular production. I've been refining this concept for the past 20 years.

sal
Very excited for this!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:29 am
Hi Ez,

sal
Awesome, I’m very happy to hear that! This knife fulfills a lot of what I’ve been looking for in a compact daily carry defensive knife, I’m sure it does for a lot of others as well and I’m glad to know it’ll be more available to the masses. I’d love to see your mark on the side of something you’ve been working on for so long.
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ez,

Defense is the primary purpose of the design.

Vivi,

Try not to think small or light. Try to think optimal. Hunting grizzly with a 22 would be light and easy to carry, but you will be bear food.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have zero concerns over the size and weight of this design :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I won’t go ice fishing without it. With the finger hole you can tie knots without setting the knife down. Also, the finger hole prevents you from dropping it on the ice where it could get damaged, lost in the snow or even worse dropped in a hole. I clip it to the shoulder strap of my Carhartt bibs and it is super convienient.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

This has been on my want list for roughly a year now, ever since I saw the post where Sal and Vivi were chatting it up.

With Twenty years of evolution, I know Sal will nail this one, no worries there. Plus, with LC200N's Stain proof qualities, no worries there either.

The area that does concern me slightly is the sheath. Sure I can go aftermarket, if the original is a miss. However, I'd rather not have to.

I realize there may be a few people that want rings (for lashing paracord) all the way around the sheath. I am not one of those people.

For this sheath, I'm hoping for and picutureing the smallest footprint possible with this design. A small taco, rings on one side only, with screw construction allowing for a detachable belt loop, resulting in a minimal bulk for neck carry. Rings as close to the blade as possible, with all excess material trimmed to a minimum.

Obviously rock solid retention, that can be shaken hard and it still holds the knife. With a nice thumb release area molded in. May not happen, but that's my vision.
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
Wralle

Post by Wralle »

I will definitely buy the LC200N version!!! Always wanted to get a swick 3 so now that another model is possibly coming I will definitely purchase 😱😊😊
Matriarch 2, Manix 2 translucent blue, Manix 2 Carbon Fiber CPM154/S90V, Scorpious, PM2 S110V, Para 3 SPY27, Streetbeat FRN, Bug, Chaparral Rafir Noble, Chaparral Ti, Tenacious, Mule Team 21, Domino, Rhino, Spot, One Eyed Jack, Dogtag Ti, Native 5 Fluted CF, Amalgam, Coin 2017 :cool:
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

A taco style kydex sheath would be nice, similar to the Waterway.
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.