Urban LW Coyote—realistic look

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Urban LW Coyote—realistic look

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:15 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:44 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:19 pm

Yeah the urban is my go to pocket knife now. The only time it’s not as if I want something that is very very light weight and then the dragonfly Frn gets the nod. Urban has a longer cutting edge than the larger chaparral so for me it’s a no brainer. I get more cutting edge in a slightly more compact package.
Sorry, Doc, but that's not true, according to Spydercos page:

Urban: Closed length 3.45 (88 mm); cutting edge 2.33 (59 mm)

Chap FRN: Closed length 3.6 (91mm), edge 2.35 (60 mm).

So, yes, the Urban is slightly shorter when closed, but has a tiny bit less edge. Weight of the two is about the same.
When I put my k390 up to any of my chaparral the cutting edge is longer on the urban but the blade is longer on the chaparral.
We have to remember that the original specs for the urban were different coming out of the factory than they were supposed to be.

Thanks for the insight and "real life data points"! Then you are right of course and I was wrong. I was just going by the specs Spyderco gives and only have a Chap myself, but never had an Urban.
I may not be right. I can only speak for my own knives. If I can figure out how to post a picture I’ll do it.

Edit: I checked both Urbans against The chaparral light weight. The coyote Urban is exactly the same length in cutting edge as the chaparral. The k390 is a frog hair longer in cutting edge.

Later I’ll dig out the cf Chaparral.

It seems to me that Italy is a little bit looser and their interpretation of specs and then Taiwan or Golden or Seki.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

They're close but I see the cutting edge as slightly and I mean very slightly longer on the Chap...

Here are 2 pics with the ricassos lined up.

I can't get a good pic of them on top of each other without removing the clip which I can do in the morning.
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:39 am
They're close but I see the cutting edge as slightly and I mean very slightly longer on the Chap...

Here are 2 pics with the ricassos lined up.
Thanks!

Looking at your pics, the Chap seems to have more edge... but I've learned that pics can be misleading...

For me, who owns a Chap but never even held an Urban, comparing the handles is interesting:

The Chap does offer a somewhat usefull (for my hand) 3.5-ish finger grip behind the choil (which I rarely use, but still it's not bad at all for a non four finger grip).

The Urban clearly is even more meant to be held choked up, which is a very good thing for a non locking folder. In return, it's even more compact than the Chap.

If the Urban came with a lock and the thinner 2 mm Chap bladestock, I'd perhaps like it a lot...

EDIT: What I'd always prefer in the Chap is the much less pronounced thumb ramp. Better imho in a small knife.

@bbturbodad, do you prefer Chap or Urban?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

This is indeed interesting. I dug out my cf Chaparral. Unlike the LW Chap, the coyote urban cutting edge is a tad shorter and the k390 is the same length. So, despite specs, actual knives vary a bit.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:56 am

Thanks!

Looking at your pics, the Chap seems to have more edge... but I've learned that pics can be misleading...
The edges are very close in length in person. I tried to take a pic with the Urban on top of the Chap but I couldn't get it to show the difference. I think in the photos I posted last night the Urban looks a bit shorter than it is because I sharpened it to 25ish degrees (inclusive) vs keeping the Chap at the factory angle.
For me, who owns a Chap but never even held an Urban, comparing the handles is interesting:

The Chap does offer a somewhat usefull (for my hand) 3.5-ish finger grip behind the choil (which I rarely use, but still it's not bad at all for a non four finger grip).

The Urban clearly is even more meant to be held choked up, which is a very good thing for a non locking folder. In return, it's even more compact than the Chap.
They fit my hand exactly as you describe and I agree with all your comments/ observations above.
If the Urban came with a lock and the thinner 2 mm Chap bladestock, I'd perhaps like it a lot...

EDIT: What I'd always prefer in the Chap is the much less pronounced thumb ramp. Better imho in a small knife.

I find the Urban oddly satisfying to use. I surprisingly don't mind that it doesn't lock and there's something about the simplicity that I just enjoy. For the way I use it, mostly around the house and at my desk 2mm stock would probably be preferred as well but I think the thicker stock helps it feel very solid for a non locking folder. I think most people (non knife nuts) choose the Urban for legal reasons so I understand why for the average buyer the thicker stock would be appealing/desirable if this was their only or main knife.

If I could only have one or the other the Chap wins hands down for me. It's the Dragonfly that I find it replacing for me. Yes it's larger but still in the same size range but offers more blade and much more comfortable handle. The build quality, handle length, thinner blade, steel, and (inclusion of a) back lock are all better on the Chap and dare I say what make it the perfect gentleman's folder.
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:58 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:56 am

´....

I find the Urban oddly satisfying to use. I surprisingly don't mind that it doesn't lock and there's something about the simplicity that I just enjoy. For the way I use it, mostly around the house and at my desk 2mm stock would probably be preferred as well but I think the thicker stock helps it feel very solid for a non locking folder. I think most people (non knife nuts) choose the Urban for legal reasons so I understand why for the average buyer the thicker stock would be appealing/desirable if this was their only or main knife.

If I could only have one or the other the Chap wins hands down for me. It's the Dragonfly that I find it replacing for me. Yes it's larger but still in the same size range but offers more blade and much more comfortable handle. The build quality, handle length, thinner blade, steel, and (inclusion of a) back lock are all better on the Chap and dare I say what make it the perfect gentleman's folder.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
I never had an Urban, but can more than agree on everything you said about the Chap. Since this is not a Chap- but an Urban-thread, I´ll not go into details, let me just say: The Chap and its thin blade are MUCH more than a gents folder. I tested it hard in outdoor- and bushcraft tasks, it does and holds up amazingly well. Try it for yourself, if you like! ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Comparing the Urban to other knives is beneficial to someone looking to buy one so I think it's OK to discuss the Chap (a bit) here.

So keeping it in context to the Urban with the issue of stock thickness, I didn't mean to imply that the 2mm blade of the Chap is only good as a gents folder. I just think that when you take the average buyer into consideration many will see the thin stock and think it looks fragile and move on and then of course you have the people that think knife = prybar. I'm also biased in thinking of the Chap as gents knife because I have the Raffir Noble version and the handle is smooth and glossy so not the best for harder tasks. When my LW arrives next week that will opinion will probably change.

The Urban is the only Slipit design I've tried but I think having a thinner blade stock may effect the 'satisfying' feel I mentioned above. It has a nice crisp and solid feel that I like. I can't put my finger on it, but there is just something about the Urban as an entire package that makes it better than the sum of it's individual parts. That Sal guy seems to know what he's doing. ;)
-Turbo
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 am
Thanx Doc,

Always appreciate the feedback.

sal
You are welcome. Thanks for the knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

When Spyderco reintroduced the urban It was supposed to have a 2.45 inch blade if I recall correctly. The Italian maker accidentally made it 2.61 inches. This happy accident put it right in the sweet spot for me for a pocket knife. As mentioned above the overall package is very satisfying.
I’m not trying to sound like a blind fan boy but Nor do I want exaggerations to make it seem like it’s worse than what it is. The knife is over all quite excellent. It does have a few cosmetic issues that I would never find a Japanese or Golden or Taiwan made knife. I would like to see the making of this knife continue to improve because is the best pocket knife over all I’ve ever had. Starting from the weight which is not too much not too little. The feel of the handles and even the length of the handle. The way it fits in my hand. And even more importantly how it feels when I actually use the knife. I think this is the best small folder design and I would like to see the fit and finish et Cetera be as perfect as the design is.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Did mention that the blade stock is thick enough so I can stand up to use, But it is ground thin enough that it is a really good slicer. Sal must’ve had on his genius When he designed this.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

Just wanted to chime in here; I think bbturbodad hit the nail on the head referring to the durable, solid feel of the 3mm stock gives the Urban being appealing to users (like me) who are limited to this size knife as a primary edc. We want a knife that doesn't need to be babied...

Doc said it best: "the blade stock is thick enough so it can stand up to use, but it is ground thin enough that it is a really good slicer. Sal must’ve had on his genius When he designed this."

As for fit and finish, of course it could be better, and I've seen more refined work come out of Maniago (the Elmax Urban springs to mind) but I've certainly seen worse f&f on more expensive knives. I'm no steel guru and AEB-L is new to me, but so far the factory edge has been perfectly slicey sharp and not needed touching up for my usage.

Now if we can only persuade Sal to make a bolstered wood handled version, I'm all in.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

UrbanMoose wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:33 pm
Just wanted to chime in here; I think bbturbodad hit the nail on the head referring to the durable, solid feel of the 3mm stock gives the Urban being appealing to users (like me) who are limited to this size knife as a primary edc. We want a knife that doesn't need to be babied...

Doc said it best: "the blade stock is thick enough so it can stand up to use, but it is ground thin enough that it is a really good slicer. Sal must’ve had on his genius When he designed this."

As for fit and finish, of course it could be better, and I've seen more refined work come out of Maniago (the Elmax Urban springs to mind) but I've certainly seen worse f&f on more expensive knives. I'm no steel guru and AEB-L is new to me, but so far the factory edge has been perfectly slicey sharp and not needed touching up for my usage.

Now if we can only persuade Sal to make a bolstered wood handled version, I'm all in.
Me like um bolsters. Bolsters good.

Ti bolsters or g10 bolsters to keep the weight down would be awesome. Perhaps ctek bolsters and polished g10 scales?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

UrbanMoose wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:33 pm

I totally respect that you like thicker blade stock, but with all respect: Your believe that a (small) knife thinner than 3mm stock (as for example the Chaparral with 2mm) had to be "babied" or "would not stand up to use" makes me - again with all respect - think you probably never tested a 2mm blade in real use? I did, and really hard, its up to any even harder knife task. 3mm is fine and more comfortable to put a finger on the spine, but not necessary at all in a smaller knife and reduces slicing ability by a lot.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:58 pm
Did mention that the blade stock is thick enough so I can stand up to use, But it is ground thin enough that it is a really good slicer. Sal must’ve had on his genius When he designed this.
Doc, referring to my post above and also with all respect: Do you in fact think, that a thinner than 3mm stockn (especially in a smaller knife) can NOT stand up to use? I know that you own the Chaparral. If you like: Test it hard, for example by working with hard wood, you´d be amazed what it can take...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:46 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:58 pm
Doc, referring to my post above and also with all respect: Do you in fact think, that a thinner than 3mm stockn (especially in a smaller knife) can NOT stand up to use? I know that you own the Chaparral. If you like: Test it hard, for example by working with hard wood, you´d be amazed what it can take...
I know the Chaparral can do a lot more than many think..within reason, of course. But a thicker stock can stand up to harder tasks a bit better, but in a small knife is mostly confidence inspiring. In fact, I like both knives and go back and forth on which is my overall favorite, from time to time.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:21 am
Edit: I checked both Urbans against The chaparral light weight. The coyote Urban is exactly the same length in cutting edge as the chaparral. The k390 is a frog hair longer in cutting edge.
I picked up a K390 Urban today and can confirm the blade is longer than the AEB-L Urban.

What's really impressive at least on the one I received, is how thin it's ground. I measured it at .012" behind the edge! My Chap LW measures .020". Both measured with the factory edges.
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:44 am
I totally respect that you like thicker blade stock, but with all respect: Your believe that a (small) knife thinner than 3mm stock (as for example the Chaparral with 2mm) had to be "babied" or "would not stand up to use" makes me - again with all respect - think you probably never tested a 2mm blade in real use? I did, and really hard, its up to any even harder knife task. 3mm is fine and more comfortable to put a finger on the spine, but not necessary at all in a smaller knife and reduces slicing ability by a lot.
I compared the Urban K390 to the Chap LW with some pine wood I had laying around and the Chap was able to make much finer cuts than the Urban. Cutting cardboard I would say the Chap is a tad more slicey over the length of the blade because the Urban is thicker at the heel. The Urban is actually thinner at the tip than the Chap so the Urban is still quite the slicer in material than separates as it's cut, but yes I agree the Chap is overall the 'slicier ' of the two.

I don't do much hard use in my regular use, but regardless of blade stock thickness I would choose the Chap over the Urban because it has a locking blade. Regarding blade stock the Chap is thicker (very slightly) at the tip so may win there too, although steel type (and task) will probably have more of an effect than geometry but I'm just guessing here.

Overall they're both really nice knives and the Urban for about 1/3 less is a great choice for someone that doesn't need or for legal reasons can't have a locking knife.
-Turbo
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bbturbodad wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:11 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:21 am
I picked up a K390 Urban today and can confirm the blade is longer than the AEB-L Urban.

What's really impressive at least on the one I received, is how thin it's ground. I measured it at .012" behind the edge! My Chap LW measures .020". Both measured with the factory edges.

The K390 Urban has great specs, for sure. This is the knife I compare to the Chaparral and it is easy to see why I think it measures up very well.

I wonder if all Maniago Urbans have varying specs? Anyone have the standard black n690 to compare?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So I was just looking at my Urban and noticed this (the tip sticking up just a hair when closed). Not sure if I did this on my last sharpening (I don't think I took off that much of the tip) or if it was always like this and I just didn't notice before.

Either way I need to lower the tip a little. I know others have done this, where's the best spot to remove metal from? I figure I can just use one of my sharpening stones. Advice?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:36 pm
So I was just looking at my Urban and noticed this (the tip sticking up just a hair when closed). Not sure if I did this on my last sharpening (I don't think I took off that much of the tip) or if it was always like this and I just didn't notice before.

Either way I need to lower the tip a little. I know others have done this, where's the best spot to remove metal from? I figure I can just use one of my sharpening stones. Advice?
Right here, but find the exact spot of contact with sharpie or something and use the stone on just that spot.

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Jpm2 beat me to it...

You can see it's shorter and rounded off on the K390

-Turbo