Chaparral FRN Lightweight - Unobtainium?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Chaparral FRN Lightweight - Unobtainium?

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:20 am
To my eyes, of all the Chaparral versions, the CF still represents the best balance of looks, weight, grip, and price point.
Second that! I'd gladly swap my LW for a CF model!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:08 am
The Deacon wrote:
To my eyes, of all the Chaparral versions, the CF still represents the best balance of looks, weight, grip, and price point.
More power to you and the Deacon, but you are obviously totally emphasizing the factor "looks" (which is perfectly fine of course!), right? For in the other 3 areas (pricepoint, weight, grip(iness) the Chap FRN "wins"...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The CF is definitely grippier than the smooth ti or the RN.

How you prioritize characteristics will always tip the final balance when you are trying for a personal "balance" of characteristics.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Shabazz can take partial credit for it being OOS everywhere.......lol
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:16 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
More power to you and the Deacon, but you are obviously totally emphasizing the factor "looks" (which is perfectly fine of course!), right? For in the other 3 areas (pricepoint, weight, grip(iness) the Chap FRN "wins"...
The LW is lighter, grippier and more affordable so from a purely pragmatic angle it is probably the better knife in use. That said, how much grip do you need on such a small knife and since I always use the choil with it the grip is quite secure. Also, neither one is heavy enough to even notice in your pocket so I am indifferent there.

In my opinion the CF version is still the best one made so far and that is coming from someone who isn’t a huge fan of CF.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:18 am
Shabazz can take partial credit for it being OOS everywhere.......lol
... though I think I remember he found the lockbar uncomfortable to press, right?!
I never did so, even BEFORE the Chap did break in nicely and if that's not enough there's that easy spring relocating mod anyway.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
The LW is lighter, grippier and more affordable so from a purely pragmatic angle it is probably the better knife in use. That said, how much grip do you need on such a small knife and since I always use the choil with it the grip is quite secure. Also, neither one is heavy enough to even notice in your pocket so I am indifferent there.

In my opinion the CF version is still the best one made so far and that is coming from someone who isn’t a huge fan of CF.
As I said already: I am not even entitled to really discuss that, since I personally never handled the CF version. It may very well be the best version for many!

I guess I just want to point out, that with the Chap FRN one can get that perfect design in that great HXP steel for an amazingly low price. And the FRN handle of the Chap is both very classy looking (for FRN) and very functional with it's special ("non delica-ish) texture.

The version I could not resist would be a Micarta-Chap...
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:32 am

Yep, I would love a non-polished slightly roughed up texture matte olive drab green canvas Micarta Chaparral paired with something like a DLC coated CPM-4V (which should already be over there for the Province) blade. I really don't like polished Micarta or smooth scales of any kind.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:50 am
Wartstein wrote:

Yep, I would love a non-polished slightly roughed up texture matte olive drab green canvas Micarta Chaparral paired with something like a DLC coated CPM-4V (which should already be over there for the Province) blade. I really don't like polished Micarta or smooth scales of any kind.
Sounds great!! (handlewise, concerning the steel I am totally fine with the HXP, but wouldn't mind another good one either). I also strongly prefer rougher textured Micarta generally and also on the Chap, but could live with smoother one if there's no choice.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Wartstein wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Yes, looks does matter to me. Grip(pyness) and weight not so much. I used to EDC a SS Police, and i am old enough to have owned (still do actually) Buck 110/112 and Schrade LB 7 I can't remember ever wanting a knife to have more grip to be honest. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:12 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Sounds great!! (handlewise, concerning the steel I am totally fine with the HXP, but wouldn't mind another good one either). I also strongly prefer rougher textured Micarta generally and also on the Chap, but could live with smoother one if there's no choice.
Micarta sounds fantastic, but i doubt we'd get that from Taiwan considering the humidity from there could be problematic. Sp i've heard
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Unadan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:04 am
Wondering why there is no stock anywhere of this knife? I've checked all the big online knife retailers - no dice. Wondering if I should take a chance on a Raffir Noble model.
Its available at www.warriorsandwonders.com if you dont mind shopping on a canadian site.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sign me up except for the DLC blade (not on this knife). XHP is perfectly adequate too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Marulaghost wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:35 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:12 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Micarta sounds fantastic, but i doubt we'd get that from Taiwan considering the humidity from there could be problematic. Sp i've heard
Yes, Sal mentioned something like that the shipping from a very humid to a very dry climate could cause Micarta to shrink (?).

My experience with my Micarta handled Endura and my two Micarta fixed blades is that the handles can get soaken wet and dry again quickly in a really dry room without any problems.
But probably when it comes to large quantities of folders being shipped and the high quality standards Spyderco has generally and especially for the Chap, there WOULD be problems now and then..

But then, the Chap is meant to be the model showcasing different handle materials, so at one point they can't disregard Micarta I hope...
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:49 am
Unadan wrote:
Wondering why there is no stock anywhere of this knife? I've checked all the big online knife retailers - no dice. Wondering if I should take a chance on a Raffir Noble model.
Its available at www.warriorsandwonders.com if you dont mind shopping on a canadian site.

Go for it, Unadan, I'm sure you won't regret it... :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:54 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Sign me up except for the DLC blade (not on this knife). XHP is perfectly adequate too

CTS-XHP and Satin are great, but I already have the Chap LW, and variety is the spice of life as they say! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:54 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
I've been dreaming about a natural canvas Micarta Chaparral.. Might have to make my own
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The FRN is also rougher on your pocket than the CF, and the RN is even smoother still. Which won't matter in use, but might matter to someone looking for a "dress up" carry knife.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:37 am
this_is_nascar wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:39 am
Unadan wrote:
As much as I love the Chaparral, I'd never make the same mistake getting this version without first seeing it. Too many variations concerning the looks of the scales.
Certainly you're referring specifically and solely to the Raffir Noble version.. ?
Correct...