Finally pulled the trigger on a Lil’ Native.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Extra330SC

Re: Finally pulled the trigger on a Lil’ Native.

Post by Extra330SC »

Marulaghost wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:46 pm
Warstein. I have both a lil native and a chap.
I understand that the blade geometries favor the chap.
But that doesn't make the LN less capable by any wide margin.
The LN is something you use when you need to go to town on something. I've never worried about breaking my ln the same way i do with the chap
^^^^^^^^^ this

My Lil Native is the toughest(and most comfortable ) small knife I've used so far...beating my old Mini Recon 1 by a wide margin. When breaking down large double wall cardboard, The LN mows through without putting undue stress on the hand/wrist.

James
benben

Post by benben »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:25 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:01 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:39 pm
It wouldn't be such a sleeper if they'd do a sprint already :D

Love mine. Stout little thing.
That's what I'm holding out for to finally give it a try.

Gifted...thank you for those comparison photos as well!! Really helped put the size in perspective.

I bet we will see an exclusive before the end of the year. Guessing BHQ M4, St Nicks 4V, or Cutlery Shoppe XHP. I sold mine and am waiting for an exclusive now as well! Nice little knife!
A couple of points of interest on mine......I have nothing against S30V, I have a ton of it and I really just didn't want another knife with it, that's the reason I held off for so long to order one. I called Jeff at the CS and just point blank asked him if a orange one with XHP or S90V was in the works, he quickly told me nope, and that they're were many different models ahead of the Li' Native. So 2 or 3 weeks go by, for the heck of it I called Spyderco's CS, the guy told me his name but I don't remember it, he was super nice, very helpful, and very talkative, but he told me they're was no Sprints or Dealer exclusives in the works right now!

Now I don't know how secretive these guys have to be but I just took them at their word and finally ordered one, I can't reiterate enough what a cool little knife it is! Mine came already dialed in, very smooth and closed with the perfect amount resistance. THE very first time I closed it, the little choil nub bounced off of my finger and I immediately knew what everyone was talking about, it hasn't bothered me one bit and I have no plans to grind it off!

Now if you like to fidget with a knife and drive your wife or family crazy, do NOT buy this knife! This one is the equivalent of a fidget spinner for adults! And if by chance a Sprint or exclusive pops up soon, I'll buy that one too!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

benben wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:49 am
steelcity16 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:39 pm
It wouldn't be such a sleeper if they'd do a sprint already :D

Love mine. Stout little thing.

Gifted...thank you for those comparison photos as well!! Really helped put the size in perspective.

I bet we will see an exclusive before the end of the year. Guessing BHQ M4, St Nicks 4V, or Cutlery Shoppe XHP. I sold mine and am waiting for an exclusive now as well! Nice little knife!
A couple of points of interest on mine......I have nothing against S30V, I have a ton of it and I really just didn't want another knife with it, that's the reason I held off for so long to order one. I called Jeff at the CS and just point blank asked him if a orange one with XHP or S90V was in the works, he quickly told me nope, and that they're were many different models ahead of the Li' Native. So 2 or 3 weeks go by, for the heck of it I called Spyderco's CS, the guy told me his name but I don't remember it, he was super nice, very helpful, and very talkative, but he told me they're was no Sprints or Dealer exclusives in the works right now!

Now I don't know how secretive these guys have to be but I just took them at their word and finally ordered one, I can't reiterate enough what a cool little knife it is! Mine came already dialed in, very smooth and closed with the perfect amount resistance. THE very first time I closed it, the little choil nub bounced off of my finger and I immediately knew what everyone was talking about, it hasn't bothered me one bit and I have no plans to grind it off!

Now if you like to fidget with a knife and drive your wife or family crazy, do NOT buy this knife! This one is the equivalent of a fidget spinner for adults! And if by chance a Sprint or exclusive pops up soon, I'll buy that one too!

I do know of one that has been requested, but they have another exclusive coming prior to this one so it may not be until closer to the end of the year or even next year before we see it.

I am hoping that jimping is CQI'd onto the choil and spine by then! I really don't understand the lack of jimping on a knife this small. It is very small so it is hard to get a full grip on, so jimping is really needed to help with keeping a solid grip. Every Spydie I own aside from the Spyderhawk has spine and choil jimping. Even the similar sized Chap and Dfly. When I sold my Lil Native I was fully expecting them to CQI the jimping by now, or especially by the time we see the first exclusive. I really hope they make this change. Then it would be another PERFECT design, just like the Chap and Dfly!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
benben

Post by benben »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:24 am
benben wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:49 am
steelcity16 wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I do know of one that has been requested, but they have another exclusive coming prior to this one so it may not be until closer to the end of the year or even next year before we see it.

I am hoping that jimping is CQI'd onto the choil and spine by then! I really don't understand the lack of jimping on a knife this small. It is very small so it is hard to get a full grip on, so jimping is really needed to help with keeping a solid grip. Every Spydie I own aside from the Spyderhawk has spine and choil jimping. Even the similar sized Chap and Dfly. When I sold my Lil Native I was fully expecting them to CQI the jimping by now, or especially by the time we see the first exclusive. I really hope they make this change. Then it would be another PERFECT design, just like the Chap and Dfly!
I understand what you're saying about the jimping, I like the right amount of jimping on a knife just like anyone else. I have medium sized hands and the lack of jimping on the Lil'Native is just not a problem for me, it melts into my hand and locks in very tightly!
Forest Elk

Post by Forest Elk »

Extra330SC wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 am

My Lil Native is the toughest(and most comfortable ) small knife I've used so far...beating my old Mini Recon 1 by a wide margin. When breaking down large double wall cardboard, The LN mows through without putting undue stress on the hand/wrist.

James
In the 2004 Spyderco catalog the Paramilitary 1 was described as "...the ultimate mid-sized survival knife". Owning and using my Lil' Native CompLock since last September (almost every day in the pocket!) I would describe it as "the ultimate small-sized survival knife"!
"Never leave home without a knife!" :spyder:

My Spydies: Native CPM440V, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4-ZDP, Delica4 FFG, Endura4-ZDP, Endura4, UKPK-G10, UKPK-CF, Salt1, PM 2, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly Salt, Dragonfly-ZDP, Dragonfly Nishijin, Squeak, Lil' Native CompLock, Dragonfly-G10