What is this on the new Spydiechef lock bar?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: What is this on the new Spydiechef lock bar?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:03 pm
Received a call from Spyderco and they are replacing my Spydiechef for the lock stick issue.
Well that is really nice of them.:)
Pcat

Post by Pcat »

Well, i hope we will get some answers about the topic...
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, everyone:
We haven't forgotten the question. January, February, and March are really heavy travel months for many of us with various shows. Eric is aware of the question and he'll get back to me as soon as he can. Hang in there.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks I was wondering and almost posted a question but figured you were already on it so just let it go.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I'm actually surprised it's taking this long. I assumed one of the Spyderco folks could look at the picture and say, "Oh, that's just so and so" and move on. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Zatx wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:02 am
I'm actually surprised it's taking this long. I assumed one of the Spyderco folks could look at the picture and say, "Oh, that's just so and so" and move on. :)
I thought about this as well but got to thinking about it and just guessing based on pictures I have seen posted online I do not think Spyderco actually has that many employees in the United States and like she said they are travelling.

I would almost bet Spyderco has close to 60 employees and the ones whose department this falls under are the ones who are busy travelling and the whole what is on the lock bar just is not that big of a deal.

In my opinion from a business perspective they have said send it in we will look at it and another member here recently posted he did and they are replacing the knife, so they are honoring their warranty. As far as satisfying curiosity which is all it is, if it does not bother someone enough to take them up on the send it in offer like myself, I reckon curiosity will be satisfied all in good time.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Almost certainly these pictures don't look like what the Golden team was expecting, either. Getting a specific, technical, useful response from the Taichung design/engineering/line management team probably requires quite a few steps. This might not even be a question the Taichung plant QC team knows the answer to (or Spyderco might not have direct access to them.)
mayong

Post by mayong »

Just for posterity, these are some pictures of my Taichung Titanium Sage 2 lock bar as the blade is being deployed. Dec 2016 date code. Similar discoloration on the lock bar as earlier photos of the Spydiechef.

Tang on the detent ball:

Initial point of contact with the lock bar:

Just before the lock bar slides into place:

Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
mehhhhhhhh

Post by mehhhhhhhh »

I just took a look at my assembled techno (1) and southard, both also have the very sharp and clean transition between the scale finished ti and a darker smooth more polished lock interface.

Not sure how any of these knives integral lock faces are treated, but with an unaided eye and only looking into the assembled knife they are all very similar. The only difference I can tell is when disengaging the lock. The chef has slight stick where the techno and southard are incredibly smooth. This probably has to do more with 5ish year old knives VS. a brand new one.

I imagine (hope) the chef will break in just as nicely as the other two ti frame locks.
mehhhhhhhh

Post by mehhhhhhhh »

Any word on this? I’ve been carrying the knife for the past couple weeks and the lick stick is still there. Does anyone have a smooth unlock, or will there always be a bit of galling?
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Mine still has the same stick when it was new. Does not seem to be getting better after many weeks.

We are still waiting on the lockbar treatment question to be answered by Spyderco.

edit: I have a second one NIB that has lock stick as well, but I haven't tried to work it out yet.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Yep this is taking allot longer than I expected as well. Pretty strange. Are these even being sold anymore?
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:47 pm
Mine still has the same stick when it was new. Does not seem to be getting better after many weeks.

We are still waiting on the lockbar treatment question to be answered by Spyderco.

edit: I have a second one NIB that has lock stick as well, but I haven't tried to work it out yet.
Both of my examples- one very well broken in and another barely used - still have lock stick, as well as the lock travel when negative pressure is applied to spine.
I suppose that some things are just there for us to live with.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Lock stick not going away even after weeks of breaking in. Hmmm. This is what is so irritating about this knife. I listen to reviewers say the lockstick goes away quickly, dealers I ask to pick me out one with no lock stick say they all have it but it goes away quickly, and then I hear people here say over and over the lock stick does not go away, Arrrrgggghhhhh. I have bought two and could not get the stick to end. Sold both and have had the itch lately to try one more time.

This thread has finally convinced me to move on for good. So sad because I love the design besides that. Oh well. like everything else in life, somethings aren’t for everyone. I so hope his next one does not have it because he is one of my favorite designers.
Joey

Post by Joey »

+1 mine has not gotten better over the past month or two. I use it a lot, and play with it a lot in order to “break it in” but I think I’ll give up so as to not wear down the finish on the titanium. Nothing like my other titanium RIL fitted knives, though most have a steel insert on the lock face. Wish these came with steel inserts :/
PStone

Post by PStone »

I’ve had 3 Spydiechefs. Date codes HQ, DR(CQI’d), and AS(CQI’d). Only the second one had lockstick. My current AS, has a small “click” when disengaging the lock. But it doesn’t stick at all. Locks up tight with no play or lockbar travel as mentioned. It’s the best of all 3.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Sure would like to get an answer from Tazkristi on this.
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Zatx wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 am
Sure would like to get an answer from Tazkristi on this.
It has been almost 3 months since we were promised an answer. I look forward to the next excuse.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Maybe another CQIed version is due.
One without stick due to better fit between blade tabg and lock bar surface, as well as a broader lock-bar to avoid travel when negative pressure is applied.

Just a thought.
mayong

Post by mayong »

I got around to cleaning my Sage 2 and took some better pictures while it was apart. For comparison, here are photos from page 1 of the Chef.

Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich