Sharpmaker stone angle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JDWY

Sharpmaker stone angle

Post by JDWY »

I've got a fully serrated Pacific Salt and a 1/2 serrated Endura. So I don't have to mess the serrations up experimenting, when it comes time to hit the serrations with my Sharpmaker I was wondering which angle should I use, the 40° or 30°? Thanks for any advice.
vivi

Re: Sharpmaker stone angle

Post by vivi »

My Pacific Salt matches the 30 degree angle perfectly, so that's what I use.

There's nothing wrong with using 40 degrees for all your serrated knives though. It can be quicker than the 30 degree slots and makes the edge a little stronger. I believe that's what Sal does with his.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've always used the 40's and have had great results. I've never tried the 30's...though I may just for the heck of it.

Also, make sure you are using your fine and or ultra fine rods. No browns, cbn, diamond stones.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JDWY

Post by JDWY »

Thanks for the advice, guys, much appreciated.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think I have one single SE blade that matches the 30 slots. My advice is to color the bevel with Sharpie and make a pass on 30 and see how it hits the bevel. If it's too high then I'd go with the 40. On all the SE knives I have (Autonomy, Caribbean, Military, Stretch, Spyderhawk, Dragonfly standard and hawkbill, Native)they all hit on the shoulder if I try to use 30 so I sharpen them all at 40. I do make it a point to sharpen the back side as low as I an hold the blade without dragging the side of the blade across the stone, so the resulting inclusive angle is still quite low.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David