Smock Anticipation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: Smock Anticipation

Post by spyderg »

spyderg wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:02 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:16 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:05 am
Why?

Still functions fine, now it’s like a para 2. I guess the answer to your question is to add another option for deployment.
Yup, that’s exactly how my SK23 functions. And don’t worry folks I’ve never had the blade accidentally open. And the detent is a touch lighter on the SK. You’ll likely be able to flip the knife open while pressing the button, the SK23 doesn’t even need a detent to flip reliably, just to hold it closed.
Do you find the detent feels a bit lighter without the double detent?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

spyderg wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:
Why?

Still functions fine, now it’s like a para 2. I guess the answer to your question is to add another option for deployment.
Yup, that’s exactly how my SK23 functions. And don’t worry folks I’ve never had the blade accidentally open. And the detent is a touch lighter on the SK.

Felt the same to me, no lighter. After this video I put the ball back.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

spyderg wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:
Why?

Yup, that’s exactly how my SK23 functions. And don’t worry folks I’ve never had the blade accidentally open. And the detent is a touch lighter on the SK.
If you have never had the blade accidentally open, then it seems the second detent ball is there for another reason.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The detent on mine is as soft as a kitten, requiring only the lightest shake to make it drop out freely like a PM2. No need for removing any balls! ;)

(Sorry, we had our German Shepherd neutered a week ago, so those kinds of jokes are all the rage in my house right now...)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:28 am
spyderg wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:
Why?

If you have never had the blade accidentally open, then it seems the second detent ball is there for another reason.
I’m pretty sure they put it there so it doesn’t come open when you press the button. Not for safety reasons but beacause opening it that way makes it illegal in many places apparently. I read a while back, here in Canada as long as you have to physically use the blade tang to open the knife it’s ok. That allows assisted open but not autos or balisongs. However you can buy and carry cbbl, axis lock and compression locks that can open without touching the blade? Problem is the people writing the laws know little to nothing about knives. The people enforcing the rules are very hit and miss.
Another thing I read not too long ago about my province, Manitoba was something to the effect of 90% of all stabbings were done with kitchen knives or home made shivs. Close to the other 10% were fixed blade hunting knives. Less than 1% pocket knives. Yet pocket knives are the only thing being targeted by lawmakers.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Even with two detents this is one of the only Spydercos I can flip just G force alone
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Had some time today so I took it apart to clean and lube. It was surprisingly dirty in there but even more surprisingly after putting it back together, there was zero noticeable difference in the action. When I got it apart I was thinking to myself that it was somehow going to be even smoother considering the amount of dirt, nope just the same. Now keep in mind it was already super smooth so no complaints here, just a little surprised.
The disassembly and reassembly was simple. As mentioned you just have to make sure you don’t lose the second detent ball as it’s loose when you pull the knife apart. Tolerances are good as centering returned to perfect on reassembly without needing adjustment. (My Manix2 was a touch off centre before I took It apart for cleaning, was perfect after, lol! Some of my other Spydies have needed a little adjustment on reassembly to be perfectly centred)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Good to know. I’m looking forward to having one someday. Probably won’t take it apart initially. Everyone says they a smooth out of the box.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this. Not really an issue, but it's different to me.

I thought the action was great out of the box, but it sounded like it wasn't lubricated enough or something. A bit of a metal on metal sound. A couple days after receiving it I took it apart, cleaned it up, lubed and reassembled. Action was even better than it previously was. But, for some reason...when closing it, it still has that metal on metal sound. Though it's smooth when dropping. Very confusing to me. Anyone else experiencing this "issue"?

I'm definitely knit picking here haha. Still a phenomenal knife!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:01 pm
I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this. Not really an issue, but it's different to me.

I thought the action was great out of the box, but it sounded like it wasn't lubricated enough or something. A bit of a metal on metal sound. A couple days after receiving it I took it apart, cleaned it up, lubed and reassembled. Action was even better than it previously was. But, for some reason...when closing it, it still has that metal on metal sound. Though it's smooth when dropping. Very confusing to me. Anyone else experiencing this "issue"?

I'm definitely knit picking here haha. Still a phenomenal knife!
On my wife's Smock....there was definitely a "dirty " feel to the action when closing out of the box. I took it apart and found debris in the bearings and on the blade/detent ball track. I used 400 and 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper to polish the bearing area on both sides. I then used Mothers to buff both sides and oiled on reassembly. Everything is smooth and the gritty action is gone. Not sure if the sanding/buffing helped on top of just cleaning out the bearings :confused: Great knife!

James
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ahh, I could give that a try! I just want it as smooth and quiet as my PM2's and Para 3's...must be my OCD kicking in haha. Thanks for idea James!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Crux

Post by Crux »

Sometimes I feel like an alcoholic that posts on a liquor maker's blog. Look, here's the newest bestest liquor ever! If I end out on the street and have to eat my shoe leather to survive, at least I'll be able to cut it up into small uniform chewable pieces. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Sometimes on knives I can’t stop flipping, after a while I guess the oil gets worked away from the detent ball and track. Then it will get a metal on metal feel. I’ll put it in my pocket for a few hours and the oil gets back where it should be and it feels fine again. On these knives I’ll typically pack some heavy grease into the detent hole, then oil like I normally would. This way even when I flip it too much, a little of the heavier grease gets on the ball and it’s not an issue.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

So, the pocket clip was changed from Kevin's design because it couldn't be reversed, but the Rock Lobster had the identical clip... I wonder why the change?

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Zatx wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:30 pm
So, the pocket clip was changed from Kevin's design because it couldn't be reversed, but the Rock Lobster had the identical clip... I wonder why the change?

You answered your own question, it couldn’t be reversed. Kevin wanted folks like me :p to be able to carry it! (My SK23 is the first lefty he made)
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

spyderg wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:54 pm
Zatx wrote:

You answered your own question, it couldn’t be reversed. Kevin wanted folks like me :p to be able to carry it! (My SK23 is the first lefty he made)

I apologize for not being more clear. I meant, why did the Smock's clip need to be reversible? The Rock Lobster's and many others aren't.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Zatx wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:11 pm
spyderg wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:54 pm
Zatx wrote:

I apologize for not being more clear. I meant, why did the Smock's clip need to be reversible? The Rock Lobster's and many others aren't.
Like I said, kevin wanted lefties to be able to get one too. Plus since he mods and makes scales, anyone not liking having three extra tiny holes can buy aftermarket scales.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The designer, Spyderco, the manufacturing partner and their supply chain all play a part in these decisions. Plenty of plates spinning in the air in the lead-up to a release. Doubtless plenty of production companies have the same concerns, Spyderco is just more open about the prototype stages than most.
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 pm
An interesting thing happens to the smocks action when you remove the second detent ball..

https://youtu.be/K-FBzILRue0
On a 'detent' note, I did notice that the Compression Lock Detent looks like a ceramic bearing, while the 'secondary' detent seems to be steel. Anyone have any guesses as to why this is? I actually had some 2mm ceramic balls lying around, so subbed one into the secondary detent hole. Does seem to make the flipping smoother as well.

The only thing I can think of is whether or not the ceramic ball might have some negative effect on the little spring in the detent hole? I don't imagine a steel bearing would be much kinder to it, though...
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I noticed the detent balls appeared different as well. I assumed it had more to do with the fact that the second ball was added after the decision was made that they didn’t want a free dropping blade than anything else. Perhaps a ceramic ball works better when sliding on and of the blade while the second ball never leaves the surface so it’s less necessary?