What was your first Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dee

Re: What was your first Spyderco?

Post by Dee »

Salt I clip it, in '07 or '08. I was into free diving and using a fb Cressi. Saw some pic of Aussies working on open ocean pens, farming tuna. They were using what looked like se enduras. With rust splotches. I figured I could do the same, and when the blade rusted away, just get a new one. My subsequent research showed that Spyderco had something called H 1 that would not rust. Right. I'd heard that before. Gave it a try. What d'ya know. No rust. I still carry that blade in my board shorts in the ocean about 3 times a week diving or in an outrigger canoe or swimming. It gets a dedicated rinse about once a month. Thank you Spyderco! Sorry I was not buying a procession of your enduras!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Catcherman about 3x as lost a few off the back of the bait board on the boat. When I couldn’t get them anymore it was Pacific Salts and salts.

Then I hit the slippery slope of all and sundry Spyderco’s
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

SE stainless scaled Merlin with no shackle slot in the handle, and I want it back... :(
Ah well...
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Delica 4 :)
archangel

Post by archangel »

My #1 was a Byrd Meadowlark which had to go when I started collecting the higher end steels. Very good entry level knife!!

Then #2 and still in my collection was/is a Pacific Salt.

I think #3 might have been my first Native 5 s35vn lw. Now four years later it will have a comeback, this time with G10 scales, and coming to stay, unless I find an affordable fluted titanium version, which isn't very likely.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
lowcountry

Post by lowcountry »

Worker, circa 1998.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Caly 3.5 with black G10 handles and VG-10 steel.

But the first Spyderco that I handled was a Manix 2 and that's when I decided I liked Spyderco as a brand. I have a couple of Manix 2's as well.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I remember playing with Spydies from the early or mid 90's, but my 1st that I bought was the Vallotton. I still have it too.
And she is an awesome blade too.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I was gifted a Pacific Salt as my first Spyderco. First Spyderco purchase was a Manix 2 LW.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Used a Police in mid 90's, on a loan for a trip. Although I had various other non-Spyderco knives in between, it wasn't until 20 years later, when I bought my very first - S30V DLC PM2. It ha$ been a fun trip $ince.
Peter
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

A Worker, which not sits at the bottom of Sportsmans Lake in Oklahoma...
Jimimft

Post by Jimimft »

I picked up a Delica 4 with the wave feature 3.5 years ago and still carry it.
Reddog7313

Post by Reddog7313 »

My first spyderco was when I was a teen back in the 80’s and I didn’t like it at all. I just purchased 2 new knives a s110v manix. and paramilitary2 maxamet. I have tons of knives from fixed to folders and I usually buy benchmade, ZT, cold steel, Kershaw, Fox, kizer, WE.... and I freehand sharpen all my knives. I just want to say I am blown away by the craftsmanship of the 2 knives I purchased. I’m ashamed to say that I stayed away from spyderco simple do to a bad experience I had in my youth. The amazing steels that spyderco is using and the quality of the knives I’m seeing has changed my view and I will be buying more and maybe even selling some to replace them with spyderco models.
M2P

Post by M2P »

It was the Q, in the mid 90's, because I couldn't afford the beautiful Viele knife (I was student, and here in France, everything is more expensive !). And the same year, I bought my very first Native !
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

Howdy. My first one was an orange Dragonfly 2 for Christmas this year. I have carried Benchmade Mini Grip with the Spydie hole for years, so this is a natural transition to the real thing. I can tell you one thing, it might be my first, but won’t be the last. This darn arachnid seems to bite hard...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

thebard42 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:02 pm
Howdy. My first one was an orange Dragonfly 2 for Christmas this year. I have carried Benchmade Mini Grip with the Spydie hole for years, so this is a natural transition to the real thing. I can tell you one thing, it might be my first, but won’t be the last. This arachnid seems to bite hard...
It sure does! My first Spyderco was also a Dragonfly - serrated Salt version.

Welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ultralinear

Post by Ultralinear »

Blue Native 5 followed up by a Blue Roadie.

Different sizes, similar DNA...I'm really enjoying both!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I got my very first Spyderco folder at a Gun Show here in Kansas City in the Spring of 1995. It was a GIN-1 Stainless Handled, Full SE MARINER model. I had that knife for quite a while and used it a lot. I replaced it with a Stainless Handled RESCUE model full SE with ATS-55 blade steel which I liked better. I still own and still use that knife quite a bit. I wish I would have kept the Stainless Handled Mariner model. It was not a bad one to start out with for sure.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

An Endura in ATS-55, which is still part of my rotation.
Attachments
endura_ats_55.jpg
kobold

Post by kobold »

Blurple G10 Manix2. The spring in it was so strong, my hands and forearms hurt for days trying to break it in. I gave up eventually and had to take it apart to cut pieces off of the spring. Now it has the smoothest, finest action. I am still babying it, unlike most other :spyder: I bought since then.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10