Any combo edge fan and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reggy

Any combo edge fan and why?

Post by Reggy »

I got my sight on an endura vg10 with a combo edge,just wondering about the purpose of the edge.
Hoot Gibson

Re: Any combo edge fan and why?

Post by Hoot Gibson »

I've been carrying combo blade Enduras (AUS8) for many years. First because they looked neat, then I discovered the utility of that configuration. I've cut lots of things I shouldn't have (copper wire, aluminum wire, steel cable, concrete) because of necessity (post Hurricane Andrew). Since then I've always had one. When I wore them out, I'd get another. (I've never been much of a knife sharpener until recently.) The serrations are great for cutting rope, as a mini-saw for cutting small tree branches, and they keep a useful cutting edge without much maintenance. The plain edge takes care of all those normal knife things I need to do. Around the yard and the shop it's the best configuration for the way I do things.

My "dress" knife is a Centofante III (soon to be a custom scaled Vesuvius) plain edge, and it doesn't get much hard use, but for those times when I'm not in a blue jeans environment, it gets the job done well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Unlike a lot of my brethren here I actually like combo edged blades in certain situations. Particularly when a lot of rope cutting has to be done. However I don't really like combo edges on shorter blades. It has to be a folder like the Endura, C-36 Military or something else in that size range.

I had an older ATS-55 Endura in combo edge which I found quite handy on occasions. I also EDCed a combo edge for over 3 years before I became a devout Spyder-head. It was a Benchmade model 640, Boguszewski Spike model in CE and it was one of my better EDCs I ever used in the past 20 years.

Actually I've often wondered why Spyderco made more of their Catcherman model in CE than they did in any other edge type :confused: ? But the combo edge does have it's place for sure.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Generally no but now that I've come to love serrations I'm a lot more open to the idea. I still would prefer them to be on a larger blade so there's an adequate amount of each edge type.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

To be honest it’s great to have a sharp section of the blade when the front half dulls a bit. Great for extended fishing trips
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Probably I am the "exception among the exeptions" here, but I actually like combo edges in SMALLER blades - if only for very specific scenarios:

For example my CE Delica is my go to rock climbing knife, especially for multi pitch routes clipped with a carabiner through the opening hole to my harness.

I really love it in that capacity. It is short (so not dangling around too much) and light, the amount of serrations is enough for the diameters of the cordage you usual could have to cut in climbing (just up to 1 cm, that´s about 2/5 of an inch), the plain edge part is good for roughly cutting band aid and for food prep, or even for scraping sticky stuff off your palms (climbing is not always solely on rock, sometimes you have to grab some mountain pines or the like, which absorb resin)

On multiday outings you can be sure that the serrations will still cut (or at least "tear apart") when already dull.

So all in all a VERY versatile little tool.

/ In a very fictional "apocalypse scenario", if I could only have one folder (and not a fixed blade which I would of course prefer in such a situation), and no dedicated sharpening devices would be available: I´d probably choose my VG 10 CE Endura. Enough amount of both plain and serrated egde to be usefull, serrations will still "cut" when dull, plain VG 10 edge could still be sharpened on some makeshift devices (river bed rocks, ceramic mugs, glass...)

But to be honest, when not (multi pitch) rock climbing, I almost always carry PE blades.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like combo edges and would enjoy seeing more of them. I'd take a CE Police 4 FRN as a work knife.

I like the SE portion for cutting certain materials like rope and cardboard, and there is enough PE towards the front for fine tip work and slicing foods on a cutting board.

CE works better in big knives, Endura or larger.

Another benefit for me is less edge to reprofile. PE knives are ground too thick for my tastes. SE knives are ground at about half the thickness the PE versions of the same model are. That saves me a lot of time.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Reggy, Hoot,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Love a combo edge. The only Para3 I own is a combo edgeS30V.

I wish Spyderco would make a Paramilitary 2 and a modern CQI Military combo edged. I sold my 52100 due to the steel corroding swiftly here.

My all time favorite is my combo Military but you have to be careful getting one as the older spydieedges are not as good as the newer. And there are several versions floating about on the secondary market.

As to why? Best of both worlds, lock in and cut serrations and slice and chop plain edge.

The military with it’s longer blade pulls off the combo perfectly.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

CE in a 30/70 PE/SE configuration can be very practical.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:57 am
Generally no but now that I've come to love serrations I'm a lot more open to the idea. I still would prefer them to be on a larger blade so there's an adequate amount of each edge type.
This is the only acceptable application for combo edges as far as my uses go. The Millie, Endura, 93mm Rescue and Catcherman are the only four that come to mind that meet this requirement.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:32 pm
CE in a 30/70 PE/SE configuration can be very practical.
The older 440V SE Millie was this way. maybe 25/75 or 20/80 PE/SE ratio. It was significantly longer than the later S30V versions.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
FK

Post by FK »

I much prefer to carry two Spyderco knives,,, one full SE and one PE.

My style of cutting is mainly slicing and not push strokes.

Regards,
FK
Hoot Gibson

Post by Hoot Gibson »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:49 am
Hi Reggy, Hoot,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks Sal, this is a great place!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:51 am

I like combo edges and would enjoy seeing more of them. I'd take a CE Police 4 FRN as a work knife.

I like the SE portion for cutting certain materials like rope and cardboard, and there is enough PE towards the front for fine tip work and slicing foods on a cutting board.

CE works better in big knives, Endura or larger.

Another benefit for me is less edge to reprofile. PE knives are ground too thick for my tastes. SE knives are ground at about half the thickness the PE versions of the same model are. That saves me a lot of time.

Agreed. I hope a Foliage Green Combo Edge is one of the first Police LW variations.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I am most definitely not a combo edge fan. Every time I've used them, I'm reminded why I don't like them. It's never enough edge - either it's too little PE or not enough SE.

I love both edge types but for me they don't mix. Give me one or the other.
Last edited by The Meat man on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my first serious edc was a combo edge. i moved away from serrations around the time when everyone seemed to be swearing them off as unnecessary. i'm really glad that spyderco never gave up on them though because i now edc a se pacific salt along with a pe manix or yojimbo. personally, i like to carry one of each instead of a combo because i think each edge type has it's advantages and a combo edge doesn't necessarily accomplish the benefits of both. however, for the times when carrying one knife would be more comfortable or convenient, i wouldn't mind a ce native salt. i wish i had been around to pick up the never summer edition of the native. i love the combo edge with the dlc coating and the sweet color of the scales. if spyderco made a ce native salt with dlc, i'd have a hard time not picking one up even though i already have the native salt in pe.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

xceptnl wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:11 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:57 am
This is the only acceptable application for combo edges as far as my uses go. The Millie, Endura, 93mm Rescue and Catcherman are the only four that come to mind that meet this requirement.

The new Police LW would be perfect as well. I really want to see the Foliage Green combo edge variation on both the Police LW and the Endela.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I like the combo edge. The se portion holds an edge longer in my opinion, plus you get the fine edge as a bonus. My Endura is one of a few combos I own, and I like carrying them.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:03 pm
Love a combo edge. The only Para3 I own is a combo edgeS30V.

I wish Spyderco would make a Paramilitary 2 and a modern CQI Military combo edged. I sold my 52100 due to the steel corroding swiftly here.

My all time favorite is my combo Military but you have to be careful getting one as the older spydieedges are not as good as the newer. And there are several versions floating about on the secondary market.

As to why? Best of both worlds, lock in and cut serrations and slice and chop plain edge.

The military with it’s longer blade pulls off the combo perfectly.
There actually is a 52100 Paramilitary in ComboEdge, is that the one you are referring to? If so, I'm sad to hear you had to let yours go because of corrosion; I honestly shouldn't even start talking about the 52100 family because I just won't stop :rolleyes: But anyway, that model is on my list, there's just a few knives ahead of it, and since it doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves, it's low priority right now lol. And regarding CE in general, I haven't liked serrations on purely an aesthetic level, but I do have a stainless CE Delica, and I must say that that inch or so of teeth have very often come in quite handy at work etc, so I suppose I shouldn't let my bias influence me too much. It's hard to argue with the functionality of serrations when it come to raw destructive power haha!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara