New knife, uneven grind

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: New knife, uneven grind

Post by Larry_Mott »

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Uneven grinds on a mass produced knife :eek:

As much as I enjoy Spyderco for their variety of steels and knives. They are still mass produced knives.

The beauty to me is I can fine tune a mass produced knife into a custom edged knife. I would worry more if anything else was the issue.

Being a butcher for 20+ years, standard procedure was open box get out new knife and sharpen
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:33 am

As much as I enjoy Spyderco for their variety of steels and knives. They are still mass produced knives.

The beauty to me is I can fine tune a mass produced knife into a custom edged knife. I would worry more if anything else was the issue.

Being a butcher for 20+ years, standard procedure was open box get out new knife and sharpen
Yes, uneven grinds on production knives.. Why is it that, as posted earlier "lesser" companies than Spyderco very rarely come with uneven bevels? It's not like it's a Herculian task..
Speaking of opening box and sharpen knife, i got a tip last week to try out IKEA's "Briljera" knives (they don't seem to be available in the US) i got one last week and it is actually brilliant, save for a slightly skewed edge grind, which i will correct when it's time to sharpen it.

Back on topic, i don't think it is too much to ask from a company like Spyderco to deliver knives evenly ground.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:08 am
standy99 wrote:

Yes, uneven grinds on production knives.. Why is it that, as posted earlier "lesser" companies than Spyderco very rarely come with uneven bevels? It's not like it's a Herculian task..
Speaking of opening box and sharpen knife, i got a tip last week to try out IKEA's "Briljera" knives (they don't seem to be available in the US) i got one last week and it is actually brilliant, save for a slightly skewed edge grind, which i will correct when it's time to sharpen it.

Back on topic, i don't think it is too much to ask from a company like Spyderco to deliver knives evenly ground.
But OK for IKEA not too ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Joey

Post by Joey »

The knife from ikea is $44.99 though.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hmm. Thanks for all the input so far. To be perfectly honest I didn't expect this to be a 50:50 hit-and-miss kinda thing but from what you guys tell me, it sure reads like it is. That's... surprising.

Even more so since there are all these budget knife companies that continuesly get this thing right... look at Real Steel, look at those new Civivi ones.

To argue "Sure, you could get Chris Reeve kinda tolerances but only at a Chris Reeve kinda pricing" is just not valid here, I'm sorry. If you get the grind right 5 times out of 10 then the only reason you're not getting it right the other 5 times is: care, the lack of respectively.

If this doesn't bother you, that's okay. But from what I can tell a great part of all the love Spydero is getting in the knife world is deriving from the feeling that they care for their products and they care for their customers more than a chinese budget knife production does.
But uneven grind lines, 5 times out of 10? Come on, guys...
30% off on the grind measured with what? Is this your admitted "OCD" or actual measured results?

5 out of 10 times? Says who? Not my experience with Spyderco certainly.

What exactly do you want with your post? To resolve your issue or get a bunch of forumites to be unhappy and demand what? One member here often says "I'm sorry it happened to you" in situations like this. I usually don't go in for that sort of thing because it really accomplishes nothing. Nothing gets resolved. I think I get why that person does it though. :)

Joe
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Larry_Mott wrote:

Perhaps because many other production knives are machine sharpened while Spydercos are sharpened freehand, on a belt grinder?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
standy99 wrote:

But OK for IKEA not too ;)
No it's not. But living in IKEA's home country and been surrounded by IKEA stuff since childhood it has become an accepted fact that their stuff is rarely 100% perfect, and that their compareatively low price kinda balance it out :)
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd say one, maybe two, out of twenty. Not 5 of 10.
Besides, why does the edge even matter that much? You're just going to sharpen it. I buy GEC's that range from $80 to $150 new that have way way worse edges out of box. It isn't a big deal.
Spyderco supplies a good knife with a sharp edge. Make it symmetrical if you want. If not, it matters just as much. Buy Spyderco or don't. Buy Chinese budget knives.
Doesn't matter.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Crux

Post by Crux »

No pics, no proof.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Joey wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:05 am
The knife from ikea is $44.99 though.

my $19.95 Cara Cara 2, my $24.95 Crossbill and my $29.95 Black All-Stainless Cara Cara had perfect, even grinds
heck, 16 out of 17 Spydercos I've had came with nice, even, flawless grinds :o
Joey

Post by Joey »

That’s a great experience you have had so far, but mine doesn’t compare. Just got a Brouwer today in the mail, and the grind is off on this one too.
Like I said, I love the brand and I obviously won’t stop buying them. I also want to point out that most (if not, all) of the issues I have seen are cosmetic, and don’t noticeably affect cutting performance. I’m just sharing my experience.

***Knives you mentioned: sub $30 w/ “flawless grinds”

Brouwer I got today in the mail: $150-$200 all day, and could use work***
It just makes me wonder, nothing more.
Attachments
AE6642EC-5053-4444-B8A1-20A47E9447F1.jpeg
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I like the japanese approach, they make and send the yanagiba unsharpened.
Why?

It is the makers job to make the knife and the users job to sharpen it as a part of use and maintenance.

Also the maker can't assume what edge finish the user wants and uses.

While Spyderco and many other Production companies strive for the best. If you could only see the volume they produce at you would then understand that those expectations aren't always reasonable.

That's just the reality. I'd recommend using the knife and enjoying it. It won't cut any differently. Also it's not the grind it's the edge bevel
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:37 pm
Why?

It is the makers job to make the knife and the users job to sharpen it as a part of use and maintenance.

That just seems strange to me. I mean, using that logic, why stop there? Why not just leave the handle as a block of wood and say it's the customer's job to form it to their own unique hands? After all, everyone's hands are a little different. The maker can't assume the hand size. Pretty soon the customer will just be handed a bar of steel and directions to the nearest tree. :D
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:02 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Why?

That just seems strange to me. I mean, using that logic, why stop there? Why not just leave the handle as a block of wood and say it's the customer's job to form it to their own unique hands? After all, everyone's hands are a little different. The maker can't assume the hand size. Pretty soon the customer will just be handed a bar of steel and directions to the nearest tree. :D
Haha or the opposite, dedicated the entire U.S national focus and budget put into making the tightest tolerance edge bevel to the nearest 0.0000000001" for a cool million every sharpening so that way people can find something else to complain about. :D
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
fixall

Post by fixall »

attila wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:14 am
All 5 PM2s and 3 Militaries I've had (all produced after 2016; idk if that matters) had a nice and even edge grind on the show side, but on the clip side from the tip to the belly, there is a section of over-ground, and therefore wider, edge bevel.

Yup.

awa54

Post by awa54 »

I think there's a divide between those who feel that knives are collectible accessories with bonus utility and others who view knives as tools that just happen to be collectible and aesthetically pleasing.

Also between users who sharpen and those who don't.

"all these budget knife companies that continuesly get this thing right" are easily balanced out by the other budget knives that come with terrible, obtuse and/or asymmetrically ground edges. It's not like Spyderco is the only maker to let slightly imperfect edge geometry through QC and in to customer's pockets.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

At some point we all have to make the choice whether we want to buy the product. We know Spyderco is aware of the issue and has been for quite some time so there must be a reason these knives pictured are like that. Does anybody seriously think Spyderco does it just to piss you off? Comparing them to inferior knives produced elsewhere accomplishes what exactly?

My new Spydercos cut well out of the box. Despite that I regrind the edge to my needs so I'm in the group that doesn't think we have a problem and I feel like me complaining to the forum is sort of just nagging that in no way makes the edges better. I give Spyderco the benefit of the doubt they are doing the best they can to give us a good product worth their price while trying hard to keep costs down just as we the customers have asked them to. I'm quite sure when they can produce perfect knives at a price their customers will be happy with they will. In the mean time I will keep making decisions on purchases like I always have.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Why?

While Spyderco and many other Production companies strive for the best. If you could only see the volume they produce at you would then understand that those expectations aren't always reasonable.

That's just the reality. I'd recommend using the knife and enjoying it. It won't cut any differently. Also it's not the grind it's the edge bevel
Well put Shawn! :cool:

Personally I’d welcome the option of buying folders unsharpened and unassembled in a kit. I could sharpen and assemble the knife myself. If the bevel I set ended up uneven, the blade ended up not perfectly centred or the action ended up gritty I’d just give myself an uppercut. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:54 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Why?

Well put Shawn! :cool:

Personally I’d welcome the option of buying folders unsharpened and unassembled in a kit. I could sharpen and assemble the knife myself. If the bevel I set ended up uneven, the blade ended up not perfectly centred or the action ended up gritty I’d just give myself an uppercut. :)
LMAO in a perfect world that would be an option, problem is it just opens up more negativity and more customer service volume.
"Spyderco can't assemble it for me?!"
"I can't get mine together!"

:D that would be a headache.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives