Your responses to someone who claims "The hump on Spyderco knives gets in the way of proper use"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Your responses to someone who claims "The hump on Spyderco knives gets in the way of proper use"?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

How would you all reply to a person who told me the hump with the Opening Hole in the blade of most Spyderco knives is unappealing because it gets in the way of use, and the person claims knives, especially folders, should have straight backs, with no humps? My response was that the Opening Hole is very useful and the hump in no way gets in the way of cutting chores and in some circumstances is very helpful.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, ofcourse, but, how would you all reply to that person who said this to me?
Daveho

Re: Your responses to someone who claims "The hump on Spyderco knives gets in the way of proper use"?

Post by Daveho »

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

-George Carlin
BornIn1500

Re: Your responses to someone who claims "The hump on Spyderco knives gets in the way of proper use"?

Post by BornIn1500 »

I can see their point. There's a big difference between a straight spine and the hump and everyone uses their knives for different tasks. Just look at the new Stretch thread where there are vastly different views on something as simple as the changes between the Stretch 1 and Stretch 2. If that can happen, than the debate between a hump and no hump can happen. What's better for him doesn't have to be better for you.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I' d at first agree that there may be SOME situations where I'd prefer a straight spine over a hump also.
But mostly I like or at least don't mind the hump. Maybe partly just because I'm so used to it.

Let's take (surprise, surprise ;) ) the Stretch 1 as an example:
- When the index finger is situated in the choil, I often put my thumb on the side of the blade, the hump and the hole give me more surface/ grip to do so
- The front side of the ramp (facing towards the tip) is great to push against it when cutting. Either with the thumb (index finger in the choil) or the index finger (middle finger in the choil)
- I love to do a Spydie drop for opening, and kind of a "reversed" Spydie drop (not really a DROP though) for closing. Not possible without opening hole in hump..
- All in all: I really LIKE the hump when choked up in the choil, could get away without it in a regular grip. But I'd want it in any case, cause I want a genereous opening hole, and that demands the hump ...

But I can imagine, that one who always only had straight spined knives will need some time to adapt to the hump
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

yojimbo 2.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
standy99

Post by standy99 »

i would lend them a Delica for a week and ask them after a week what did the hump get in the way of.

Last time I lent a guy at work a Spyderco he bought a Delica, Endura and a pacific Salt that night.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:03 am
i would lend them a Delica for a week and ask them after a week what did the hump get in the way of.

Last time I lent a guy at work a Spyderco he bought a Delica, Endura and a pacific Salt that night.

Enough said :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:36 am
Never argue with an idiot.

^^ what he said.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I like models without thumb ramps. I like my pm2's the way they are, but I don't need every knife to have one. I don't think the ergonomics of the Shaman are really lacking compared to those of the pm2 just because of the absence of a thumb ramp. Without one, you can place your thumb anywhere on the spine you'd like instead of being forced into one option. So there's certainly a comfort issue. But "proper use"? What does that even mean? It almost seems counterintuitive for someone to say the thumb ramp gets in the way of "proper use", as the knife was undoubtedly designed to be used in that manner (using the thumb ramp). I'm scratching my head here.

Tell them to get a native or a Shaman.

Oh and tell Sal we still want the Native Chief!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

This is a very subjective topic. Everyone's hands are different, and what works for one person may not work for another.

I myself prefer a straight spined knife, except on larger models like the Police or Military.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:27 am
This is a very subjective topic. Everyone's hands are different, and what works for one person may not work for another.

I myself prefer a straight spined knife, except on larger models like the Police or Military.
Bingo! Very subjective. Though I really think the hump doesn't get in the way if not used, or aids in use while using it. For me, the PM2 and Manix have plenty of handle where using the hump works naturally for my thumb.

Using a Para 3, especially when choking up, I tend to put my thumb right over the hump and onto the spine for maximum control, and it feels just fine.

Obviously subjective, but that's my 2 cents. Having it there is a nice option, but can easily be averted if need be.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

First of all, not all Spydies have thumb ramps. He could just get a Native and be done with it.

Second, there is no way that a hole in a blade (with it's hump) gets in the way more than a thumbstud.

Lastly, if he wants to carry a traditional folder with a straight spine and a nail nick then all the power to him. They still work just fine.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

If it comes from a knife newbie and is presented as a very blank statement, I'd suggest he try to actually use the knife first and then see how he liked that 'hump'. But sometimes you feel like a hump and sometimes you don't ;) , it's a subjective thing but the Spydercrew has been doing an amazing job desiging all those wonderful ergonomics in their knives. The hump adds to those ergos, to me at least.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

When I first used a Spyderco with a hump, it was "in the way", but now I find I like the hump, and other knives feel weird. It's what you get used to. I'm really liking the Native 5 now, and it feels weird. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

My response would be to agree. They get in the way of my thumb. Most thumb ramps are poorly located for someone with big hands like myself. They create ergonomic issues and limit grip options.

I try to buy Spydercos with no thumb ramp, but that's less than 1/10 the models they make. There are countless models where the thumb ramp positioning ruined the knife for me. Not just Spyderco either, I've had this issue with BM, Kershaw and others.

I really don't care for thumb ramps at all. There has never been a time where I've found it beneficial to have one. I would be happier if knife designers simply stopped using them.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would partly agree actually, as I prefer models with little to no hump. I wouldn't say it makes it impossible to use though, it's all in what you're used to and I like extending my thumb out over the spine in Filipino grip. In some situations I don't feel like I have as much force behind a cut when using saber grip on a thumb ramp.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’d say, “Define proper use.”
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ferider

Post by ferider »

Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I think the lump on top of your neck is a bigger obstacle than the hump on the back of the blade.. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:33 am
I think the lump on top of your neck is a bigger obstacle than the hump on the back of the blade.. :)
Hahaha, niiiiice!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick