CRU-WARE or CTS-XHP ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

CRU-WARE or CTS-XHP ?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I am curious about this Which is the grail steel? CRU-WARE or CTS-XHP ?

Every time I see a Paramilitary 2 come up for sale in CTS-XHP they sell out immediately and the price goes out of sight on the secondary market. Same for ELMAX and M390 where as CTS-204P nearly identical to M390 does not get as much love.

I digress there is allot of talk about CRU-WARE but little implementation of it. Is this it's whole charm? or is there some solid reasons anyone would choose it over CTS-XHP? I own both steels in the Spyderco Military family but they have been treated as safe queens so no practical experience.

My new Hundred Pacer in CTS-XHP is arriving tomorrow and that will be a user.
Pelagic

Re: CRU-WARE or CTS-XHP ?

Post by Pelagic »

XHP impressed me more. I expected the world from cruwear because of its cult-like following here, and essentially it lived up to the rep, but not quite. XHP on the other hand is EXTREMELY underrated. It will obviously not be as tough as Cruwear but for a stainless it appears to be extremely tough. Great apex stability overall. Edge retention is formidable, excellent corrosion resistance. It's a toughness vs stainlessness debate.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The PM2 your referencing is most likely the Cutlery Shoppe exclusive from a few years ago? Most likely high prices because it's an exclusive in a rare handle scale color. XHP is a nice steel, but certainly not a grail. I personally like it better than of the other stainless steels out there (VG10, S30V, S35VN)

Cruwear seems to be a favorite of many people around here. Checks A LOT of boxes in terms of edge retention, corrosion resistance (not being a stainless steel, but in comparison to others) ease of sharpening.

I believe there was a thread just yesterday going around about Cruwear. Look it up, lots of good info.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Well it sounds like a perfect steel to me tough and stainless great combo. The Hundred Pacer should work very well in the Kitchen.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Both are great. Cruwear may be overhyped while XHP is definitely underhyped.

Cruwear might be my favorite steel and I have been promoting it ever since the Military came out. That said, it is now being really hyped up and you need to see through that. It is amazing but not magical. Just an extremely well balanced steel. Maybe the most well balanced steel IMO.

XHP is also awesome and is oddly way under appreciated. I like it better than most of the steels in its class. It should be a lot more popular.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree with Pelagic and Darby. It is definitely not as hyped as others. I wonder if it's because it's not offered in many Spyderco models?? I have it on my Chaparral LW and was thrilled to get it in the CS exclusive Para 3. I wanted to try it in a more stout blade and see how it performs...I just haven't had a chance to really use it hard just yet.

Neither of those knives are big knives, so it would be nice to see it used on something with a 3.3"+ blade and see how it performs there. Not that the Para 3 or Chap are slouches, but not typically knives you're going to carry in the woods.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I have CTS-XHP in the Hungarian but that is a gentlemen folder if ever there was one! more like Jewelry so much like Jewelry I have it for sale because it has no practical value for me I only purchased it to get the experience of the steel thinking I could not score a Military with CTS-XHP but was wrong got both he same night.

Have not gotten around to using the military yet with so many other interesting knives. The Hundred Pacer which I intend to use like crazy uses CTS-XHP and that qualifies as a big knife!

Problem with the military is it is one of only 1200 ever made and as I recall is numbered so I am not certain weather to save for resale or use it. Thinking the Hundred Pacer is going to help me out here.

Maybe you should look into getting a Hundred Pacer also? I only Paid $199.00 for mine and it may be a model people are mistakenly overlooking. Have a feeling if all goes well I may purchase a backup.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Both awesome steels in their own way. I see a well known knifemaking company moving from CTS-XHP to S30V but I hope Spyderco will do the other way around.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ferider

Post by ferider »

I use both. One for toughness, one for corrosion resistance .... Both can get really, really sharp. CTS-XHP is definitely underrated. But: since I got both user and backup Manix 2 in XHP in the last couple of months, you all can talk about it now :)

CTS-XHP is not only underrated, but mis-characterized. For example, some intertube material says M390 is both tougher and more corrosion resistant than XHP. In my hands-on experience, it's exactly the opposite. I've chipped M390, but not XHP yet.

Plus, Spyderco makes some really nice knives only in XHP, like the Hundred Pacer and Hungarian.

Roland.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ferider wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:04 pm
Plus, Spyderco makes some really nice knives only in XHP, like the Hundred Pacer and Hungarian.
Chaparral!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

My favourite steel is Cruwear. For my uses, it stays sharp longer, and takes an edge easier. No rolling or chipping. Now I will say I’ve been thoroughly impressed with ctsxhp as well. It holds a great edge but I find it takes a little more work to touch it up. Also I’ve found it not quite as tough. Certainly not complaining about it, it’s a great steel too but I prefer Cruwear.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Crux

Post by Crux »

My favorite steel is whatever is attached to a Para 3.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I carry and use XHP a lot more often than Cru-ware. The only Cru-ware in my normal EDC rotations is a Manix 2, and it has to compete with Maxamet (and now 20cv) for pocket time, so it's a pretty hard sell.

My regular "dress up" and restrictive jurisdiction knife is a Chap though, so XHP gets carried a lot more often.

I'd love to see Cruwear is a bigger folder or fixed blade (Manix 2 XL or Military would be pretty nice). :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I could sell 90% of my knives and I would keep this one. Awesome blade!

Old pic. It isn't this new anymore and it definitely isn't this green outside anymore. :)

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:53 am

Every time I see a Paramilitary 2 come up for sale in CTS-XHP they sell out immediately and the price goes out of sight on the secondary market. Same for ELMAX and M390 where as CTS-204P nearly identical to M390 does not get as much love.
I wouldn't take this behavior as an indicator of a fabulous steel. It is collector fever with certain people wanting to be the first on their block to get them all. Not that there is anything wrong with XHP. If there was a rare PM2 in 1075 steel, there would be people paying crazy prices to get one.

Me, I go for 20CV or CTS-204P every time! I only own one knife in M390 and it is not a Spyderco. I just figure if there are American made steels as good as M390, I'll sort of get on a half baked patriotic bent and choose those instead. And I have to draw lines somewhere or I won't be able to pay the rent.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:11 pm
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:53 am

I wouldn't take this behavior as an indicator of a fabulous steel. It is collector fever with certain people wanting to be the first on their block to get them all. Not that there is anything wrong with XHP. If there was a rare PM2 in 1075 steel, there would be people paying crazy prices to get one.
I don't know why people do that. Now where's my CTS-BDN1 Para3s?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oh nobody likes that stubby ol Para3 it’ just a sawed off runt trying to be a Millie...

Woo Hoo running and ducking!

Did I get Ya? ! :eek: :D :spyder:
Crux

Post by Crux »

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:54 pm
Oh nobody likes that stubby ol Para3 it’ just a sawed off runt trying to be a Millie...

It is kinda a sawed off runt trying to be a millie, but it's MY sawed off runt trying to be a millie. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Crux wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:00 pm
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:54 pm

It is kinda a sawed off runt trying to be a millie, but it's MY sawed off runt trying to be a millie. :)
Yeah and it is great!!!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Crux wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:34 pm
My favorite steel is whatever is attached to a Para 3.
That would be the clip, then. Right? :)