The HUNDRED PACER: A Mind-Blowing Compilation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The HUNDRED PACER: A Mind-Blowing Compilation

Post by JD Spydo »

It's not often that a new knife design puts me in a state of Awe!! As in Shock & Awe :cool: But this new HUNDRED PACER model got my attention in a huge way. I actually studied and carefully looked at this model in a detailed fashion and it looks to me to be a cross between the C-60 Ayoob, The Chinook III and one of the bigger Manix models. To me it most definitely looks to be a cross of those three classics. This model I will have in my possession before the year 2018 has concluded. I don't care if I've got to search out scrap metal, pick up pop & beer cans or even clean up strip mall parking lots if that's what it takes to put one in my footlocker.

I can't even imagine what this bad-boy would be like with M390 but I would sure like to find out. And the possibilities of that blade design in Spyderedge just has me drooling :cool: Yeah I believe this model could end up being a home run for the Great Spyder Factory :cool:
bearfacedkiller

Re: The HUNDRED PACER: A Mind-Blowing Compilation

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I almost bought one this weekend with the ebay deal but bought a couple of tarps for hammock camping and a new axe instead.

I have watched every youtube video on it. I like big knives. It looks like it will be extremely slicey. The blade shape looks very functional. It looks like what I wished the Spydiechef was and should work great on a cutting surface. The pattern in the scales looks awesome. I will get one sooner or later. I have just bought way too many new knivesw lately and need to be prepared for the REX45 Military and Vtoku Stretch.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It caught my eye from the first. It’s one of those edge-of-the-envelope designs that I really like. And, the name is pure genius. It’s a big knife so I have no real use for it, but it is certainly in my wish list.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

At around $234 US it seems a little over priced to me for a Taiwan Mfg. knife.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:08 pm
Fails to realize some of Spyderco's highest quality knives come from Taichung. Have you ever had a Spyderco outside of Golden or Japan? They are extremely well put together knives with high quality materials. Though this knife is a bit rich for my blood and not my style, the price can't be knocked because of where it's manufactured.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

RickC27 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:13 pm
snapshot2017 wrote:
Fails to realize some of Spyderco's highest quality knives come from Taichung. Have you ever had a Spyderco outside of Golden or Japan? They are extremely well put together knives with high quality materials. Though this knife is a bit rich for my blood and not my style, the price can't be knocked because of where it's manufactured.
So just what makes this knife so much better then the one Spyderco Mfg's in Golden Colorado, this Taichung knife is using the same type steel that many knife Mfg.s have in the past and many still use it, it's not a really special steel.
So just what make it worth around $100 more then the Manix2?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t know what makes it worth more, that is subjective. I can suggest some things that may make it cost more.

Intricately machined G10 scales for one. Have you seen a close up picture of them yet? Likely better fit and finish as well. Then there is the royalty for the designer. You also need to spread out the r&d and tooling costs over what will likely be a knife that sees limited production. This is in contrast to an in house design that sells large volumes and has been around for a long time.

There is always more to the cost of an item than what the materials it is made out of cost. With the exception of some of the more exotic alloys it doesn’t seem as though steel choice effects cost that much.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:32 pm
RickC27 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:13 pm
snapshot2017 wrote:
So just what makes this knife so much better then the one Spyderco Mfg's in Golden Colorado, this Taichung knife is using the same type steel that many knife Mfg.s have in the past and many still use it, it's not a really special steel.
So just what make it worth around $100 more then the Manix2?

I can’t speak for the Hundred Pacer in particular as I don’t have one, (the design does nothing for me). But of all my Spydies, the Taichung models are tops. The tolerances seem tighter, fit and finish better from handle chamfering to the cutting edge everything just is just perfect. Even grinds and seamless transitions. This is not a shot at golden Spydies in any way, they are great too but Taichung really has got things dialed in. Japan however has been a bit disappointing, not terrible but certainly a few steps down from the others.
As far as pricing, the Manix is an in house design whereas the Hundred Pacer is a collaboration. I’m sure there are a number of other factors too.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:49 pm
I don’t know what makes it worth more, that is subjective. I can suggest some things that may make it cost more.

Intricately machined G10 scales for one. Have you seen a close up picture of them yet? Likely better fit and finish as well. Then there is the royalty for the designer. You also need to spread out the r&d and tooling costs over what will likely be a knife that sees limited production. This is in contrast to an in house design that sells large volumes and has been around for a long time.

There is always more to the cost of an item than what the materials it is made out of cost. With the exception of some of the more exotic alloys it doesn’t seem as though steel choice effects cost that much.
If the 3D G10 Scales are really better then the G10 Scales on my PM2 Limited Edition i don't really see it.

The blade material CTS-XHP Stainless Steel nothing really special about it, been around for many years.

Having to pay for using the designers name i guess it's worth it to you to pay the extra cost. the knife just does not look much different then many other liner lock Spyderco knives, costing around $100 US less.
==============
Features
Brown/Tan layered G10 scales
3D machined handle texture
CTS-XHP stainless steel blade
Liner lock mechanism
Reversible tip-up wire pocket clip
Nested stainless steel liners
Name inspired by a Taiwanese snake
===========

Specifications
Blade Length: 3.99"
Closed Length: 5.21"
Overall Length: 9.20"
Cutting Edge: 3.97"
Blade Thickness: 0.138"
Blade Material: CTS-XHP Stainless Steel
Blade Style: Upswept
Blade Grind: Full-Flat
Blade Finish: Satin
Blade Edge: Plain
Handle Material: G10
Handle Color: Brown and Tan
Locking Mechanism: Liner
Pocket Clip: Tip-Up, Left/Right Carry
Model Number: C225GP
Model Name: Hundred Pacer
Weight: 5.2 oz.
Made in Taiwan
===========
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like designs that are a bit unusual without being too impractical. The Hundred Pacer meets this criteria. I really like mine. The blade shape is appealing and looks great with the FFG and machine satin finish. It's a phenomenal slicer.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This knife is absolutely amazing. Such a beautiful design. The G-10 really is something else. Ultimately I decided it wasn't for me after owning it a little while. I will probably get another one after this knife is discontinued. Taichung keeps raising an already high bar for themselves with each new release, amazing to see what they are capable of
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Taichung has been just as good if not better than Golden.
The Caribbean came from Taichung and it is a masterclass in quality.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I handled one at a knife shop a few months back, and I hesitated handing it back to the clerk for a second. Ultimately, the size of the knife, and the amount of space it takes up in the pocket put me off from it.

Now, re-release that sucker as a fixed blade, and watch the MBC crowd go nuts for it. ****, watch me go nuts for it.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll just say what I said the last time this knife came up... this will he the model everyone wishes they had bought years from now when it's discontinued.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I will just say... Bought it today! Can't wait until it shows up!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Mine arrived today. It’s stunning.
It’s too big for my regular carry, but it will get lots of use around the house.
Captain_Slippery

Post by Captain_Slippery »

Yes! I see this knife get a lot of hate because poeple say its ugly. I say its huge, menacing, and terrifying and I love it.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Captain_Slippery wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:26 am
Yes! I see this knife get a lot of hate because poeple say its ugly. I say its huge, menacing, and terrifying and I love it.
What's so menacing and terrifying about it?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

It looks like a Hissssssssssss

At first I thought what a stupid design big and pointy, then someone recommended it in reply to my looking for something with allot of belly like the Spydiechef that is so effective in the kitchen.

I looked at it again and thought hmm ya know those scales are kind of cool. Not a big fan of a trailing point but the belly to blade cutting surface length ratio is nearly identical.

Perfect for Kitchen use, I can fold it when done and stick it in a drawer and not buy another block.