Bob Terzula Double Bevel...A missunderstood classic?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cbrstar

Bob Terzula Double Bevel...A missunderstood classic?

Post by cbrstar »

I'm a product of the 80's...

As a kid I grew up with Chuck Norris kicking ***, Rambo taking on a entire army of cops with a combat knife, and 100's of badly dubbed Ninja movies fresh from Hong Kong. Even all the cartoons like Gi Joe, and Transformers had tons of action in them that sadly Dora the Explorer never will despite how awesome that would be.
My inner child has been brain washed by the 80's to be a Communist crushing ninja, and he wants his tactical ninja knife!!! :rolleyes:

I'm relatively new to Spyderco in all honesty and I've been trying to learn as much as I can. One day I came across a pic of the Bob T designed C15/C19.

(Pic borrowed from google...www.cuttingedge.com)

I instantly fell in love with the basic shape of the handle. IMHO it feels like the in thing these days for knife manufactures is to be different for simply different sake, and have as many weird lines as possible. The clean minimalist lines of this handle was like a breath of fresh air to me.

But I wasn't exactly fond of the blade shape and I couldn't help but think a tanto blade would look better. I went about making suggestions on threads on here and facebook about "Your perfect knife" etc being completely unaware of the C174GP.

That all changed this boxing day when I checked a online retailer for Spyderco's and not only did they have the Double Bevel it was on SALE for $105 US.!!!

Finally I had found my perfect grail knife that had the handle and the blade I so desperately wanted...Err kind of.

The double bevel where this knife gets it's name...It looks weird.

In-fact when I asked if I should get the DB or the Starmate I didn't get a single vote on the DB. :( But there was just something about the double bevel that was calling out to my heart and I placed my order.

**Graphic Pic Warning***

Image (Sorry to who's ever pic I borrowed.)

Well I immediately thought the Double Bevel "It must be to make the Spyder hole stronger" As Bob Terzula being the father of the tactical knife must have a reason for such a bold design choice...Right?

Wrong!! Turns out he just obviously thought it looked cool, and to me IMHO that's as good as any reason. But that wasn't the biggest surprise waiting for me yet...

I'm a bit dyslexic so numbers don't always add up for me and I need comparisons to understand the size of things. So when my knife finally showed up.

Yes it's kinda tiny...My mall ninja dreams were crushed! :D

Here's a comparison to my PM3 and my Native 5 LW.

*** Warning this is a huge amount of speculation on my part***

I can't help but wonder if there's an explanation for both the double bevel and the size.

There's another Spyderco out there that's awfully similar that was ironically designed by a another guy named Bob...The C46 by Bob Lum.

Image (Pic borrowed from google.)

I can't help but think that to make sure the designs were not to too similar that they were infringing on each other. The decision was made to make it look different and smaller. I also can't help think that because the Starmate was also being released Spyderco also wanted a smaller knife to suite everyone's EDC needs.

Conclusion

After my initial disappointment, well frankly I fell in love with this knife all over again. I've grown and matured since the 80's, and my needs have also grown and matured. This knife surprisingly fills both needs. It has the tactical looks that I crave, but at the same time there is a refined and sleek feeling I get when I hold this knife in my hand. To me it's the modern urban Gentleman's knife. It's light, it cuts surprisingly well, and thanks to the walker liner lock it's a work horse in disguise. Simply it's sophisticated.

cbrstar

Re: Bob Terzula Double Bevel...A missunderstood classic?

Post by cbrstar »

I supposed I should put a warning there's a bit of satire in my post. lol
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Very nice.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:37 pm
Very nice.
Thank you, I appreciate it.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I had no idea it was this small. Thanks for all the nice photos.

The knife makes no sense to me. I don’t like tantos. I don’t like the funky split between the grinds. I’m not sure who actually wanted a knife like this. I guess the fact that it still works as a knife is interesting.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Where did you buy it? I want one!
carrot

Post by carrot »

Great review!

I’ve always admired Bob’s designs, owned a Starmate, met the man once, and even owned a genuine Terzuola custom, but...

I admit I completely passed up on the Double Bevel, probably because, like you, I thought it was going to be a big blade. I think that the Starmate is way more a classic design, but the DB sure is really cool and as my Spyderco collection gets weirder I have come to appreciate the less talked about blades.
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:10 pm
I had no idea it was this small. Thanks for all the nice photos.

The knife makes no sense to me. I don’t like tantos. I don’t like the funky split between the grinds. I’m not sure who actually wanted a knife like this. I guess the fact that it still works as a knife is interesting.
For some weird reason I've been wanting a Tanto for a while now and this is my first one. But like I said the double bevel is defiantly a little weird but I've grown to like it. It has shown up in other knives for instance.

It's just a Bob T thing I guess lol
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

There's a store in town that has one and I've played with it a number of times. Never have pulled the trigger though (their knife guy knows what it is worth and wants that and then some)
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

carrot wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:38 pm
Great review!

I’ve always admired Bob’s designs, owned a Starmate, met the man once, and even owned a genuine Terzuola custom, but...

I admit I completely passed up on the Double Bevel, probably because, like you, I thought it was going to be a big blade. I think that the Starmate is way more a classic design, but the DB sure is really cool and as my Spyderco collection gets weirder I have come to appreciate the less talked about blades.
Thank you!

Because of the boxing day sale I also ended up picking up the Starmate. But I find the DB's been stealing all my pocket time because for me it's the perfect knife to take to the office.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

cbrstar wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:33 pm
I supposed I should put a warning there's a bit of satire in my post. lol
It was a good reading, thank you! I like the style you wrote very much. :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

My problem with the Double Bevel was the tanto point. Never was a fan. Then I found this...