What do you consider the most practical EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's the most practical EDC setup in your eyes?

One folding knife (Locking -or- slipjoints)
31%
Two folding knives
10%
Three folding knives
5%
Folder + fixed blade
1%
Folder + multitool
38%
Folder + fixed blade + multitool
3%
One fixed blade
No votes
Fixed blade + multitool
2%
One multitool
5%
OTHER (Explain in comments)
6%

Total votes: 88

Sumdumguy

Re: What do you consider the most practical EDC?

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:59 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:54 pm
I voted 1 knife folder or fixed. Any car I drive is full of tools, so I am never in need of a tool lol.

I would also carry a leatherman squirt or juice if it had no blade and all tools.
So you never leave your car? ;)
I'm in and out of my car or truck all day long most every day, generally with a bag of tools in my hand. So no ;)

Maybe one day I'll take a picture of my actual EDC.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Chose OTHER.

My use is so rare daily, so probably one will be adequate. However I like them, so I carry multiple, just because and I have a SAK in my bag.
Chris :spyder:
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I selected just a knife, but I always have a 10180 flashlight and screwdriver bit on my keys. I'm never far from real tools so it's just an emergency/convenience thing. I'm usually over prepared if I'm going anywhere with a bag stuffed full of goodies, and my truck is always packed with tools.

Here's a pic of my entire EDC for years now, minus my phone. I'm a minimalist when it comes to my pockets, so I consider this to be very practical for my uses. Granted the knife is probably bigger than needed and a Vic SD Classic is the most practical according to a few people I know.

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Other. Currently a para 3, Squarehead, Christy knife and Atwood prybaby on my keychain, a AAA Pelican flashlight or my Surefire E1L. I keep a small socket and bit set in my office. There’s a leatherman wave, bigger flashlights, tool box, chainsaw, and generator in the truck. And a shop full of tools at work
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:38 am

The big cargo pockets have vertical dividers so there are three compartments in each. I could comfortably carry 6 folders clipped in the two big cargo pockets if I felt inclined, haha.

not 6 folders, but 6 inch folders, is what I often carry in those big pockets :o
It won't come as a surprise to many, but every day I carry at least 2 knives, and 2 tools

Usually one knife is SE, the other PE, or Straight blade, the other Hawkbill :spyder:
Usually one tool is a Multitool, the other a SAK, or sometimes two Multitools and one or two SAKs :cool:

Examples, spoilered to avoid clutter;
► Show Spoiler
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

One knife. If I have to carry multiples of stuff I won't. I carry one knife. Most of the time that knife has two blades (GEC). Sometimes that knife has one blade (Spyderco). I will only carry a fixed blade or a multitool if I am going into the woods or to the range.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Two folders (large + SAK Cadet), a multi tool, and a prybar
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:45 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:35 pm

Fixed blades are easier to keep clean for food prep, so the combo of multitool + fixed blade is what I voted for. They're also handy if I want to cut something in a hurry....less stuff to fidget with than any sort of folder.
Where I live (Austria / Europe) I almost couldn't carry a fixed blade, even a small one, in a more or less urban enviroment. Though perfectly legal, people would look at you probably almost like you'd edc a Tomahawk (which would be legal too).
Guess it could even happen that the cops would stop and question you, though legally they could do nothing about it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I work in a major city, and when I walk to the nearest gas station on my lunch breaks I see clerk open carrying a 9" OAL fixed blade. Last time I went to a camping store I saw a worker carrying an Outdoor Edge Le Duck on the front of his belt. It's pretty accepted here. If I go grocery shopping with one clipped to my belt it goes unnoticed, much less hiking etc.

After replacing my single blade folders with a clipped Wave, I'm reconsidering the Clipitool. I could see myself getting one when it gets back to shorts weather, since the Wave can feel like a bit much.

Even if the weight isn't ideal, I'm getting a lot more use out of my MT than my Pacific Salt. Used the file, scissors, both blades and the philips screwdriver so far today.
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Used the file, scissors, both blades and the philips screwdriver so far today.

Darn useful tools Vivi

My 23 year old Victoronix Mariner is a favorite I will never part with, sure the steel for the blade is junk but the Shackle key is so useful heck just this morning I used it to pull a broken sink stopper up.

If Sal wants a great design in my opinion place a Stretch2 Blade in a knife give it a shackle key like the mariner has a set of scissors, and perhaps a small set of victoronix pliers and man will that ever be a go to!

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/victorin ... gJo7vD_BwE