2018 Alistair Phillips!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spydersense

Re: 2018 Alistair Phillips!

Post by Spydersense »

Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Zatx wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:08 am
BigGrove wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:58 pm
BigGrove wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 pm
I too am experiencing an overly stiff lockbar. Seriously it’s bordering on silly stiff. This combined with the smallish cutout and the sharp liner edge on the opposite side that eats at my fingernail, it makes for an unsatisfying experience.

In addition, the blade will free-drop like 10 times in a row and then suddenly won’t 4-5 times before freeing up again. It’s a bit odd...

Love the design and ergos. Plus it looks great. Unfortunately with the issues in the lockbar area, this may not be a keeper for me. I really want to love the Kapara but I find my S110V PM2 and Sliverax much more satisfying in all aspects unlike the Kapara.
Update... I didn't want to give up on this knife with its fantastic design and great feel in the hand, so I decided to disassemble it. Fortunately it's straightforward to take apart. After a thorough cleaning, fresh lube and a careful adjustment of the pivot it now has the smooth and just barely dropshut action I prefer. The lockbar is also less stiff now (but still more effort than I like). This is definitely a keeper now.

My criticisms that remain are the cutout to the lockbar is still on the shallow side which makes my finger sore more quickly than say a PM2. The other is the inside of the liners as well as the Spyder hole have sharp edges like most Taichungs, but I can live with it now that it's easier to open and close.

Overall I love this knife and plan for it to be part of my EDC rotation. Well done!

I love reading stories like this! It is such a freeing feeling when you realize that you have the ability to make a knife your own. Since you've demonstrated that you can disassemble the knife and clean and lubricate it, you're ready for the next step. Go to your local auto parts store (or order from your favorite online retailer) some 2,000 grit sandpaper. Now disassemble your knife and round off the edges of your liners where you find them too sharp. Go slow and use light pressure and before you know it that little culprit that stops you from loving your knife will be gone. You can also wrap a piece of sandpaper around a pencil or wooden dowel and do the same thing to the sharp edge of the spydie hole!

Last step: come back and give us an update so you can be an inspiration to others!
Frankly, this should be done an the factory. While Taichung is notorious for ridiculously sharp edges it's proven they can do better. I give you the Sliverax as evidence.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I've actually found my few Seki City and Maniago knives to have sharper edges than my Taichung knives. I think it may be less of an issue with the capability of Taichung and more of what the specific design calls for and what's requested of the design. On the Amalgams, Mantra, and Hundred Pacer that I handled, the edges were all nicely broken and smooth to the touch; heck, even the inward facing edges of the G10/CF laminate scales were nicely rounded for a very very comfortable and melted feel in hand.

I agree that liner edges should not be sharp, but with regards to the Spyder hole, that comes down to personal preference. Many people prefer sharper holes to more easily catch the thumb pad for working knives, and it has been brought up a couple times in the past that it is easier to break the edges should one prefer a softer edge on the hole than it is to add a sharper edge to the inside of the hole for those who prefer a sharper edge. Personally, I'm with you and prefer softer edges so I typically break the edges myself.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Now that quite a few of you have this knife, do any of you have this as well as the Centofante 3? I understand they are totally different knives, with different materials, steel, lock...basically everything, especially price!

I have the Centofante, and love that knife. This knife looks like, in hand and with a fairly long cutting edge on a thin knife like the Centofante that they would feel similar in hand. I love the look of this knife, but am wondering if it would really be worth it to spend all that extra cash.

So could anyone that has both of these, fill me in on your thoughts?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:23 pm
Now that quite a few of you have this knife, do any of you have this as well as the Centofante 3? I understand they are totally different knives, with different materials, steel, lock...basically everything, especially price!

I have the Centofante, and love that knife. This knife looks like, in hand and with a fairly long cutting edge on a thin knife like the Centofante that they would feel similar in hand. I love the look of this knife, but am wondering if it would really be worth it to spend all that extra cash.

Hello, just received my Kapara and have also owned a Centofante 3 in the past. Sold the Centofante, but cannot imagine to ever get rid of the Kapara. Though I have to admit: I did not do a whole lot of cutting since I only carried it for three days right now.
For me personally the Kapara has way better Ergos than the Centofante (fills the hand better, both backwards and choke up grip feel very good and controlled) and is a better slicer when it comes to cut through stuff that is about the height of the blade or higher (like most fruits and so on); The Centofante is very good in cutting stuff like quite thin rope and stuff like that as far as I remember; would make sense obviously, cause of the hollow grind.
Built quality of my Kapara is outstanding; I think you cant go wrong with it; only thing I do NOT like: The deep carry clip. Imho a knife as long as the Kapara carrys better in a higher position
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Just wanted to add: The Kapara feels a lot more solid in hand than the Centofante, like it would be suited for a little harder use (though definitely not designed as a real hard use knife!)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Wartstein,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx for your input.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:48 pm
Hi Wartstein,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx for your input.

sal
Thank you, Sal!! Glad to be here... have been a long time lurker, but hesitated to participate due to not beeing a native speaker in english;
Greetings from Salzburg (Austria / Europe)
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

After having the Kapara a couple weeks, I still love it's aesthetic, but the non buttery PM2-3 opening/closing still bugs me, which is also true for my Caribbean, PM2's and 3's remain King.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Forest Green wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:50 am
After having the Kapara a couple weeks, I still love it's aesthetic, but the non buttery PM2-3 opening/closing still bugs me, which is also true for my Caribbean, PM2's and 3's remain King.
It's a knife, not a toy bud. Enjoy it for what it does! Can't wait to get me one of these masterpieces.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Forest Green wrote:
I really like my Kapara, but it seems that each new knife I get that isn't a PM2 makes me love my PM2 even more... ;)
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Forest Green wrote:
Does anyone know if the Kapara or Caribbean have a pivot bushing? I think the bushings in the PM2 are why it has such a smooth pivot and free dropping action.
sal

Post by sal »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:36 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Wartstein,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx for your input.

sal
Thank you, Sal!! Glad to be here... have been a long time lurker, but hesitated to participate due to not beeing a native speaker in english;

Your English is just fine.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:36 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Wartstein,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx for your input.

sal

Your English is just fine.

sal
Thanx again, Sal! So I won´t hesitate to participate in the future... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Could anyone help me out and tell me, if the NON deep carry wire clip of the Manix 2 LW (or for that matter ANY NON deep carry Spyderco Clip) will fit the Kapara?
Owned quite a few Spydercos over time, but oddly enough never one featuring a wireclip.
Concerning the Kapara: I personally am of the opinion that a knife that long feels better in the pocket NOT featuring a deep carry clip
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I'm really tempted to grab one of these soon. It wasn't really on my radar until someone on IG posted a pic of some aftermarket orange backspacers. Then I started watching Youtube vids last night and am becoming quite intrigued. I'm a sucker for the wire clip too, so that alone makes me want to own one of these.
attila

Post by attila »

Wartstein wrote: Could anyone help me out and tell me, if the NON deep carry wire clip of the Manix 2 LW (or for that matter ANY NON deep carry Spyderco Clip) will fit the Kapara?
Owned quite a few Spydercos over time, but oddly enough never one featuring a wireclip.
Concerning the Kapara: I personally am of the opinion that a knife that long feels better in the pocket NOT featuring a deep carry clip
Here you can see the length of the Manix LW clip is greater than that of he Kapara and Urban. Image

I wanted a shallow carry Urban, so I bent some 316 stainless steel TIG welding filler metal into the form mimicking the Manix clip's shape and the original Urban clip's length. The same can be done for the Kapara.

I used 1/16" wire, which is approximately 1.5-1.6mm. It took multiple attempts to get it right, so don't lose hope if the first few are no good.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

attila wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm
Wartstein wrote: Could anyone help me out and tell me, if the NON deep carry wire clip of the Manix 2 LW (or for that matter ANY NON deep carry Spyderco Clip) will fit the Kapara?
Here you can see the length of the Manix LW clip is greater than that of he Kapara and Urban. Image

I wanted a shallow carry Urban, so I bent some 316 stainless steel TIG welding filler metal into the form mimicking the Manix clip's shape and the original Urban clip's length. The same can be done for the Kapara.

I used 1/16" wire, which is approximately 1.5-1.6mm. It took multiple attempts to get it right, so don't lose hope if the first few are no good.
Thank you very much for your reply and the time you took to send (and make?) the pics!! I apreciate that a lot.

Judging just by your depictions I would figure, that it would be possible and no problem to install the longer Manix LW clip on the Kapara, it would at most hurt optics, not function (maybe holding the knife in hand would be less ergonomic with a longer clip) - what do you think having the knifes in front of you?

The slots designed to accomodate the clip seem to be of the exact same dimensions on every Spydie-wire-clip knife, am I right?

One thing that could cause issues when installing a shallow carry clip on the Kapara: The screw holding the clip is positioned far more backwards concerning the slots as on the Manix, so a shallow carry clip would be less solid or more "wobbly" (hard to explain, but pretty obvious by the pictures)
attila

Post by attila »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:29 pm
attila wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply and the time you took to send (and make?) the pics!! I apreciate that a lot.

Judging just by your depictions I would figure, that it would be possible and no problem to install the longer Manix LW clip on the Kapara, it would at most hurt optics, not function (maybe holding the knife in hand would be less ergonomic with a longer clip) - what do you think having the knifes in front of you?

The slots designed to accomodate the clip seem to be of the exact same dimensions on every Spydie-wire-clip knife, am I right?

One thing that could cause issues when installing a shallow carry clip on the Kapara: The screw holding the clip is positioned far more backwards concerning the slots as on the Manix, so a shallow carry clip would be less solid or more "wobbly" (hard to explain, but pretty obvious by the pictures)
You're most welcome.

The Manix clip would certainly work on the Kapara, but I wouldn't want such a long clip on it.

You're right to consider the stiffness of clips, but I find that a shallow carry clip is stiffer, not more wobbly, than a deep carry clip of the same length. The length of wire used is the major factor affecting stiffness. Deep carry clips require more wire, making them inherently less stiff.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

attila wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:30 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:29 pm
attila wrote:

You're most welcome.

The Manix clip would certainly work on the Kapara, but I wouldn't want such a long clip on it.

You're right to consider the stiffness of clips, but I find that a shallow carry clip is stiffer, not more wobbly, than a deep carry clip of the same length. The length of wire used is the major factor affecting stiffness. Deep carry clips require more wire, making them inherently less stiff.
When I find the time I´ll scroll the Spyderco-Catalouge (again...;) to find out if there is a shorter SHALLOW-carry wire clip..

/ Concerning the stiffness: I´ll try to explain what I meant originally - kind of hard, as I am not a native speaker in English:
- Generally a SHALLOW Wire Clip should be less wobbly as a DEEP Carry Wire Clip
- BUT: The mounting screw for the clip on the Kapara is located at the REAR end of the slots holding the clip (on the Manix the screw is on the FRONT end of the slots): So: If you imagine the Manix wire clip beeing held by a screw at the very end of the portion that is located in the slots, thats a much worse leverage than if the screw is holding it at the front end of the wire that is located in the slots. The latter is the case on the Manix, and for a reason I guess - ? Again, hard to express in english for me, but just look at the Kapara and the position of the mounting screw, imagine a Manix clip would be installed and what kind of leverage would be transfered on the screw, maybe than you get what I mean... ?