New Model Dropped: Calypso Jr. Super Blue sprint run (PICS)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

New Model Dropped: Calypso Jr. Super Blue sprint run (PICS)

Post by dplafoll »

Thanks again to Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL.

Album link: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmubbcSC

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr

Thoughts:
It's a nice knife, and I get why people would want it and why the Caly Jr. is a classic design, but the F&F seems a bit spotty, and this seems to be an ongoing issue for the Moki OEM. Note in the pictures the big gap next to the lockbar. I'm intrigued about the steel, but I'd rather hunt down a Seki City sprint TBH. Cool knife, a bit disappointing.

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
gull wing

Re: New Model Dropped: Calypso Jr. Super Blue sprint run (PICS)

Post by gull wing »

Love the old Calypso Jr, congrats.
Gap not cool. Yes some of my old ones had bent blades or something that made the blades park off center.
Let us know how the super blue works for you.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

Got a couple of these recently. Build quality reminds me of the fake dragonfly that amazon sent me once (no longer ordering from amazon). 80 bucks for Superblue is hard to beat though. Very happy with my purchase.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea I thought this knife was a bit overhyped. For $10 more you can get the Chaparral with such better quality for a pretty similar knife. Was puzzled by the bonanza when this thing first dropped.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:22 pm
Yea I thought this knife was a bit overhyped. For $10 more you can get the Chaparral with such better quality for a pretty similar knife. Was puzzled by the bonanza when this thing first dropped.

I think it was mainly for the steel. That was the appeal for me anyway.

It's also a great design that is no longer in production.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Super Blue has much more appeal to me in a kitchen knife than in a pocket knife (which you cant even take apart). I do love the fish scale pattern on the FRN though. But our online knife shop over here (EU) probably knows about the popularity of this knife because it's only 8% of MAP. They first had it for full retail for over a week. But this knife ain't worth $135 to me. If it were lower i might had impulse bought it. But i am happy with my Chaparral which is of much higher quality and significantly cheaper over here.
Joey

Post by Joey »

This knife is kind of blue in a way, and it has fish scales on the scales. Fish live in water which is normally considered “blue” in color. Then you add a super steel with the word “blue” in it, and a beautifully stonewashed pocket clip. Stamp the clip with our favorite 8 legged icon and skeletonize the scales. Blade shape is (for me) preferred, and the thickness is acceptable. Backlocks are as good as they come.
Just a whole lot to love according to myself! :o

These are all the reasons why I love mine, though to be honest I see it as one of the more plain looking knives I own. It’s really quite weird, because gray isn’t normally my thing, and the fit/finish are found to be lacking throughout. Both models I own however, work as intended. One of them even has a perfectly centered blade from the factory! The steel is also prone to corrosion, which is something I sometimes use as an excuse to completely ignore some models of knives. Not this one, though!
Attachments
E04B1070-0871-4BAB-AC0B-1EB367108880.jpeg
mugwump867

Post by mugwump867 »

I've owned three Caly Jrs over the years and all three have been a bit rough around the edges -- off center blades, bulging FRN scales, bad lockbar meetup, etc. I just got a second Superblue after trading away my first and, all issues aside, I now remember why I liked this pattern so much. It's pretty much kicked the Delicas out of my pocket as I prefer the FRN pattern, smaller blade, double finger choils, and general hand feel of the Calypso Jr. Sometimes the ugly duckling is still a winner.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Gotta say I'm disappointed with knifecenter. I preordered this knife last December and am feeling like they will never fulfill it. I've been pushing for a calypso jr. sprint for years; it's one of my favorite spyderco designs, and I'm worried that I won't be able to get one at this rate. I hope this isn't the end of them, I will be keeping an eye out for other vendors to get them in stock.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mugwump, Capt.csrl,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really would love to see a return of the "scale scales" habdle pattern.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I have reverence for the "fish scales", this was the first Spyderco that got me "hooked" back in the old days.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I really liked This when i First got it and i thought the retroclip was cool.
After carrying it for a while i felt that i didnt need a clip on such a small knife so i removed it,, and now i love it.
The action improved tremenduosly, the clip must have hindered blademovement somehow.
Now it drops shut when i unlock it.
And without the clip its so slim and light that i have to pat my pocket to check if its still there..
More calypso jr sprint runs plz.
Cowry X next? :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I have to say that the one thing I would have liked on my SB Caly Jr is jimping. But I think that this is a great knife! I love the weight and the FRN pattern and the steel. Thanks for this Sprint run!
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

What is superblue equivalent to? A steel I could relate to maybe?

Something about the words; “Blue and “Super” being used together sounds exciting! Haha
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

tps3443 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Something about the words; “Blue and “Super” being used together sounds exciting! Haha
It's a very high carbon steel, to which they added a little chromium for hardenability and tungsten/vanadium for wear resistance.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tps3443 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Sort of similar to 1095 and 52100. A relatively simple tool steel, known for being able to take low edge angles (good edge stability) and be very quick and easy to take a hair- splitting edge. It's got pretty decent edge retention too, although nothing like your S110V of course.

It's a great steel. But it is most definitely not stainless and will develop a strong patina almost instantly when cutting acidic foods.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Just got one myself today. Lovely little knife. I really like this fish scale pattern. I am also interested how this steel will perform.

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The design has great fluid symmetry and looks very sharp and a great all-purpose utilitarian folder. Great job Spyderco.

As EvilD and others have said, I too like the fish scale-inspired scales on the handle. I do have a question: For practical everday use, do you think that scale pattern would be superior to the Volcano Grip and the other scale textures on other models, or can they not be compared, and just consider then different? I do like these scales, though.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I never felt i needed extra grip on my Spyderco handles. Even the Para 3 with smooth G10 is perfect to me and easier to keep clean. But i like the different patterns for their artistic value.

But the grip is pretty good on it. But it also depends on the pressure you put on it and how you hold it.