2nd hand favorite source

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bigboned

2nd hand favorite source

Post by bigboned »

Is there such a thing as a preferred source for used knives? Other than eBay which seems to be hit and miss? Is it all about who you know?
Is there a standard forum with a BST?
Since britishblades closed down there dosnt seem to be much at this side of the world...
Cheers
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
murphjd25

Re: 2nd hand favorite source

Post by murphjd25 »

The Exchange on Blade Forums.
Josh
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bigboned,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:27 pm
The Exchange on Blade Forums.
+1
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

You can find stuff on bladeforums exchange but it's not perfect and only paying gold members can sell there. I hate the abundance of scalpers there and you can't critique peoples pricing. Also i don't like the common policy to delete prices when stuff is sold. You can't check past trades to get some info on the market value. I do look there but it is not my preferred choice.

I have had more succes on Reddit Knife Swap. In general nice people to deal with and people will be called out if prices are unreasonable. In general prices are more fair here and you can sometimes score some older Spyderco sprints/exclusive for a normal price.

I also often hear people about facebook groups to trade, but i don't use FB so i can't give details there.

I do wish there was a place more focused on International/European trades. I still find many Americans reluctant to ship international. The US market is big enough for them to get stuff sold so for them it's just easier and maybe less risky to just stick to their own country i guess. I also can't compete with US pricing due to the VAT and worse MAP pricing we have. Sadly the EU market is too split up in each their own country/language.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I bought my last Spyderco on eBay. Getting a good one is entirely up to you I think. Besides sometimes people just lying as to what your getting.

My Spyderco Military Blurple was only $149.00 shipped. And it was in perfect brand new condition, although it was listed as “used and handled indoors only” I saved about $41 dollars, and I still got a brand new knife. So I got lucky!

So, I think if your buying Sprint runs on eBay, or unique spyderco models where a fake doesn’t exist, you’d probably be ok.

I would avoid anything that’s black or digi cam, and has S30V on it “ avoid these on eBay only” lol
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

tps3443 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:23 pm
So, I think if your buying Sprint runs on eBay, or unique spyderco models where a fake doesn’t exist, you’d probably be ok.

I would avoid anything that’s black or digi cam, and has S30V on it “ avoid these on eBay only” lol
There have been fakes of sprint runs too. Less common but not non-existent. Always be careful when trading.

I generally find Ebay overpriced. But sometimes you can find a good deal.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Rutger wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:06 pm
tps3443 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:23 pm

There have been fakes of sprint runs too. Less common but not non-existent. Always be careful when trading.

I generally find Ebay overpriced. But sometimes you can find a good deal.
Ebay is not a preferable choice to me either, and definitely not even a option. It’s only another place to keep in mind, when your browsing for a used Spyderco, or a good deal. Sometimes you get lucky!
“My daily razor blade”
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I like looking at these, some are priced way too high but if they don't sell the price will drop down sometimes.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/ind ... derco.html
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:30 pm
I like looking at these, some are priced way too high but if they don't sell the price will drop down sometimes.

I have picked up a few here. Agree, some of the prices are too high and they charge for shipping. I like that someone is looking at the knife and checking it before it’s sold to you. Probably not going to get a fake.
Some dealers have old stock if the model is not too old. What are you looking for?
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

Thanks all, I’ve just swung by bladeforums, will check the others also
I’m looking for the 2017 pm2 in cruwear, grey g10 scales
Andy

vivi

Post by vivi »

I could go for a foliage green manix and an h1 catcherman myself.

Still kick myself for passing up on the sprint c95.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

koenigsegg wrote:

Wow, Vagabonds under $40. I always wanted to try one. Looks like a neat knife for camping. Might order one.
:unicorn
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

bigboned wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:41 pm
That's actually a 2016 sprint, those don't come for sale often (for a normal price). And when they do they sell fast, so you really need to be on top of it.
Bento Box Shop still has some new for $299.95. Ebay prices generally are not much better.

It will probably be easier and cheaper to find the 2018 KnifeCenter exclusive Cruwear PM2 in smooth black G10 if it is the steel you are after.
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

Rutger wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 pm
bigboned wrote:
That's actually a 2016 sprint, those don't come for sale often (for a normal price). And when they do they sell fast, so you really need to be on top of it.
Bento Box Shop still has some new for $299.95. Ebay prices generally are not much better.

It will probably be easier and cheaper to find the 2018 KnifeCenter exclusive Cruwear PM2 in smooth black G10 if it is the steel you are after.
Yea it is the steel I was chasing, also didn’t fancy black and I’ve no experience of the smooth although I understand it looks well, I was worried about the grip as I use my knives- I don’t have many I just like good tools and they all get used- I’m too broke to have for draw queens!
I didn’t expect 300 to be honest tho, ah well

I just looked at bento- $68 for Int. Shipping ! WOW I like the dark grey tho......
Andy

Rutger

Post by Rutger »

bigboned wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:12 pm
Rutger wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 pm
bigboned wrote:

Yea it is the steel I was chasing, also didn’t fancy black and I’ve no experience of the smooth although I understand it looks well, I was worried about the grip as I use my knives- I don’t have many I just like good tools and they all get used- I’m too broke to have for draw queens!
I didn’t expect 300 to be honest tho, ah well
I have the Cruwear Para 3 with smooth G10 scales. I really like it, but opinions on the internet differ on it. But the PM2 handle shape is good so i don't think you need the extra grip from peel-ply G10.

Good luck with the hunt.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I have done some business on /r/Knife_Swap as well. I have had good experiences with that forum. I like how they have a new thread each week for knives people are looking for, and another for what people are selling.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

BF forums have been good

Ebay has been good but I'm buying old FRN knives like Endura, Catcherman and others. I'd be wary of buying more modern knives looking at how many fakes around (plus I don't what I'm looking at with modern Spydies)

Ebay can be over priced but I bide my time.

Tried Arizona but never seen anything I like.

And of course purchased from forum members here which is good experience.
Last edited by 500Nitro on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

eBay is for used and sprints only, though run of the mill models command a lot of money for some reason
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

koenigsegg wrote:

I really like there website. The knives are used, but have very high quality photos, that show wear, character, and patina! Really cool. I imagine they still sell them even with a higher price, they look professionally resharpened too.
“My daily razor blade”