Friendly Challenge to fellow Spyderco Users: I say Endura and Delica 4 = Best and "Peak" Spyderco Model. What say you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Friendly Challenge to fellow Spyderco Users: I say Endura and Delica 4 = Best and "Peak" Spyderco Model. What say y

Post by Doc Dan »

I guess I aim low, then. I really prefer the Delica and the Endura to most other models. The Endura does need some tweaking for my hand (I have to take down that first finger bump), but once done it is a great design. The Delica is what made me finally stop buying far more expensive knives from one of the major competitors. It is a superior design. Even with my very large hands I can manage to get 4 fingers on it somehow. I cannot say that about any other folder with a 3" blade. I even like the lock.

Is there room for improvement? You bet. For one thing, I think a move to Golden would fix any lock rock (rare) issues with the newer lock back upgrades from there. I would also prefer a bit more of a point, like that on the PM2 or something. But, overall, I am very happy with my Delicas and Endura.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Re: Friendly Challenge to fellow Spyderco Users: I say Endura and Delica 4 = Best and "Peak" Spyderco Model. What say y

Post by ladybug93 »

i thought the delica and endurance were fine ergonomically until i held the manix 2 lw. they’re still fine, but nothing fits my hand like the manix. i tried almost everything else in the sfo during a visit last year and nothing could convince me to make a change. even the venerable pm2 couldn’t match the manix ergos. somehow though, the manix doesn’t seem to have the same following or icon status as the pm2, delica, or endura, so take that for what it’s worth. the police is apparently sal’s favorite model and it has probably been featured most often on the big screen. it’s hard to declare a flagship model without specific criteria.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Delica is a favorite. I have 7 or 8 different ones. The model fits my hand perfectly. I love the variety, the price, and how it looks.
But...
The Native 5 and Chaparral have been getting carried more. Native 5 only for the s90v. Chaparral becuase it's just a bit nicer, I guess.

The endura is great. But for a workhouse, I've been carrying the s110v military, police 4, and cru wear pm2. I like the ergos on all of them more, the thinness of the p4, and the extra length of the p4 and military. Still, my zdp endura and pakkawood endura are boss knives.

I hope neither model gets the boot ever.
I will continue collecting Delicas. Delica sprints may be 90% of next year's buys.
Endura may get the boot once I get my hands on some frn police 4's.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

They're the Honda Accord and Civic is the Spyderco line. Does their job well, good materials, reliable - not the best, but a very nice well rounder
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

With all due respect to these models and their vital role in Spyderco history, I avoid them. I own a Pacific Salt for maybe 3 reasons. Because I heard so much about it, because of the amazing price, and because of the H1 steel. However I find it a bit awkward to open compared to my all time gold standard, the PM2. But I felt I owed it to myself to own a Seki knife and a knife in H1 steel. I should have got it in Spyder-edge (imagine me kicking myself).

I look at the Endura and Delica in much the way I do bell bottom pants. They had their day in the sun, but the world has moved on. Thank goodness in the case of the pants, and perhaps the knives too.

But if they still sell well, Spyderco should keep making them (or having them made in Japan, or however you want to say it). If sales of these Toyota Corollas of knives helps keep Spyderco in business, great -- but I don't care to own one.
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

If peak = best design so far, my vote is the Manix 2.

It's large and stout enough to do serious work; thin enough to slice well; nonthreatening enough to not raise too many eyebrows in certain circles; small enough to carry without noticing it. And the ergonomics are unparalleled; not only is it the most comfortable Spyderco I've ever held; it's the most comfortable folding knife I've ever held, period. The Manix 2 feels like the Glesser's took a cast of my hand and made the knife just for me. To me, it is perfect.

Or knives, since I currently have 9 of them ;) 154CM, LW BD-1, LW BD-1 combo, S30v, LW S90v, LW S110v, Cru-wear, M4, LW Maxamet

Any knife that covers all those bases has to be in the conversation for top design.

Edit: I forgot the most important part - it's AMBIDEXTROUS so it's completely lefty-friendly!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wow thank you all for the excellent responses, this makes me really think more about these and other Spyderco knives and the value and strong points of each one.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:35 pm
SEF I can't say you're wrong for feeling this way but I do have to say it's ultimately very subjective. Value to one person is different from value to another because expectations are always different. Some people will never get over the "plastic handles" no matter what they're told, and the same goes for being made in Japan. Some people see value in different ways so G10/full liners may be higher value for their money even if it does come at a higher price.

For me personally ergonomics are just as important as the sum of it's parts and cost and the ergos of these knives just don't do it for me. That doesn't change the fact that it's an amazing knife for someone else, but that's part of the whole package for me so I'd MUCH rather pay more for a Military.
This is one of the best summaries of the situation on these knives I have ever read.
ferider

Post by ferider »

I've tried several Enduras. The only one that stays in my rotation is the Hap40 Pakawood one - beautiful knife, and wonderful to have a stainless backspacer, too. Speaking of Enduras, I can for the life of me not understand, why the Cara Cara 2 only comes as a Byrd, I'd love to use the Cara Cara 2's choil with Hap40, or any other high carbon steel. And screwed Titanium scales .... wish there was an Endura like that.

That being said the Pakawood Endura, and the several Paramilitaries that I have - are in the "toy category" in my head. Fun to play with, cut an apple, envelope, some boxes, etc.

Now, the "tool category", as smallest knife, has multiple Manix 2 copies. Probably my most useful knife around the house, workshop, etc. So cool to be able to choose among CPM Cruwear, 4V, M4, s110v, etc. But the best Spyderco designs for use, for me, are the larger ones. Military, P4, K2, 100Pacer (how cool is that in the kitchen !), and - man - I love my Chinook 1 and Chinook 4. The Chinook 1 belongs in the MOMA, IMO, such a perfect design, if not a bit too heavy. If there ever was a design Peak = Best, I submit the C63.

All a matter of friendly challenged personal opinion, of course :)

Roland.