Do most of us need larger knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: Do most of us need larger knives?

Post by Ankerson »

My main two EDCs are a CRK LG Inkosi (3.5" blade) and S110V Military.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Oops...duplicate post
Last edited by MichaelScott on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:03 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:55 am
So, I maintain that although a larger folder is nice and perhaps more convenient, nearly all of us who carry a knife daily don’t really need one. We just want them for various reasons.

How much do you need the carbon fiber on your Rhino, or filework on the One Eyed Jack? What do these knives let you accomplish that a Ladybug & Delica couldn't for half the price?

;)
I’m just talking about size. Your objections of materials and price are not relevant.
Tucson Tom wrote: OK I'm convinced. Any knife with a blade longer than 2 inches should be made illegal. Any car with more than 4 cylinders also. All guns banned. No more concealed carry permits unless you can demonstrate a real need. No more frilly carbon fiber or titanium. No more meat either, people can eat beans. Heck, no more cars, people can walk. No reason to own more than one knife. See how much you can accomplish when you head down this road!
Woah… just taking about knife sizes and needs. Legality, prohibition and all that are completely different subjects.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:44 pm
Vivi wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:
So, I maintain that although a larger folder is nice and perhaps more convenient, nearly all of us who carry a knife daily don’t really need one. We just want them for various reasons.

How much do you need the carbon fiber on your Rhino, or filework on the One Eyed Jack? What do these knives let you accomplish that a Ladybug & Delica couldn't for half the price?

;)
I’m just talking about size. Your objections of materials and price are not relevant.
Oh, didn't realize your preferences were off limits haha.

So what's the point of this thread?

No one is claiming they need a large knife, that's simply what they prefer. What do you gain by pointing that out?
:unicorn
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:49 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Vivi wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:

;)

No one is claiming they need a large knife, that's simply what they prefer. What do you gain by pointing that out?
Arguing for the sake of arguing?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Vivi wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:
Vivi wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:

;)

The point is that I am interested in what people think about the utility of small knives vrs larger ones in most everyday situations. I am not interested in personal preferences for the purpose of this discussion (and, it’s a discussion on a discussion forum, not a declaration or demand) just about whether a small knife would serve in most all situations for many of us. As I said earlier, there are situations and tasks that require larger knives; I am excepting those for purposes of discussion.

Seems like some are thinking I’m bashing large knives and or those who carry them. I’m not. I own a Para Military 2 so I understand the affection for larger knives.

It was a simple question that has gone astray.

Team Innovation
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

I still think it's a matter of preference, not need. I prefer to carry and use larger blades. I find that small blades, for me, are not as convenient for what I cut. I will rarely carry a blade under 3" unless it's a very small knife like a Manbug, or Roadie as a back-up.

sal
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

A backup manbug and a larger blade?
IMG_20181111_213101.jpg
Stop sending me pictures of you edc sal. :P
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I agree. It’s a matter of preference. Would I prefer to open my mail with a Military or a Chaparral? Would I prefer to butcher out that deer with a Lil’ Native or a Millie? I was looking for the separation between need and preference and how this might influence a person’s every day needs.

Team Innovation
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:21 pm
Hi Michael,

I still think it's a matter of preference, not need. I prefer to carry and use larger blades. I find that small blades, for me, are not as convenient for what I cut. I will rarely carry a blade under 3" unless it's a very small knife like a Manbug, or Roadie as a back-up.

sal
Hi Sal,

The smallest I carry is a Native 5, smallest found useful when I used to use knives at work, it actually worked very well at cutting cardboard, zip ties, pallet straps etc. I do prefer a longer blade however, something 3.5" to 4" to be ideal for me.

I still believe the Military was the best work knife that I ever used for what I used to do however.

That G10 Native 5 is one tough knife for those who want to carry a smaller blade, it's built like a tank.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:04 pm
Vivi wrote:
MichaelScott wrote:
Vivi wrote:

;)

The point is that I am interested in what people think about the utility of small knives vrs larger ones in most everyday situations. I am not interested in personal preferences for the purpose of this discussion (and, it’s a discussion on a discussion forum, not a declaration or demand) just about whether a small knife would serve in most all situations for many of us. As I said earlier, there are situations and tasks that require larger knives; I am excepting those for purposes of discussion.

Seems like some are thinking I’m bashing large knives and or those who carry them. I’m not. I own a Para Military 2 so I understand the affection for larger knives.

It was a simple question that has gone astray.
I don't think there is anyone here that only buys large knives or small knives, we all own a variety and appreciate what each model offers.

Yes, I could get by without a 4.5" blade, and you could get by without file work. But that's what I like, and that's what you like...more power to both of us.

This thread seems like much ado about nothing. I could go to a chef forum and point out that "You don't really need a chef knife, a paring knife can prep food just fine" which while technically true, it serves no purpose pointing that out.

The Para 2 is a mini version of the Military. I wouldn't consider it big. :p
Last edited by vivi on Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I agree about it being more about preference vs. need. I’ve carried a Ladybug daily for almost twenty years now and it’s always been adequate for whatever I needed to cut. I once skinned out a whitetail deer with nothing more than my Schrade 34OT Stockman just to see if it could be done. It worked surprisingly well, although I’ll admit a longer blade probably would have made the job easier.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jim,

I like the P4 for everyday carry. Today I'm carrying a Caribbean because I'm in a humid salt water environment.

Michael,

Need and preference are not related. I don't think you will find that line. I need a knife for what I do. prefer a large blade as they are more convenient for me.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:22 pm
I agree about it being more about preference vs. need. I’ve carried a Ladybug daily for almost twenty years now and it’s always been adequate for whatever I needed to cut. I once skinned out a whitetail deer with nothing more than my Schrade 34OT Stockman just to see if it could be done. It worked surprisingly well, although I’ll admit a longer blade probably would have made the job easier.
I've batoned swiss army knives and opinels, just to see if I could. :D
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I could in theory butcher a cow with a manbug so I suppose I don't need anything bigger.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:43 pm
I could in theory butcher a cow with a manbug so I suppose I don't need anything bigger.
In practice it can be done and you are right in supposing you don't need anything bigger but it would be a PITA job to do having butchered quite a few.

We did have to rescue some Aboriginsls once who were trying to cut up a Buffalo with a small pen knife lol

When better tools are available, I say use them.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:04 pm
OK I'm convinced. Any knife with a blade longer than 2 inches should be made illegal. Any car with more than 4 cylinders also. All guns banned. No more concealed carry permits unless you can demonstrate a real need. No more frilly carbon fiber or titanium. No more meat either, people can eat beans. Heck, no more cars, people can walk. No reason to own more than one knife. See how much you can accomplish when you head down this road!
I'll be happy to take any of these items that you have no reason to own. I have more sharp objects then there will be things in my life to cut but I don't need nor want them. I collect knives because I am very concerned that the knife industry in America might vanish, so I'm almost single-handedly propping up the industry, along with others here as well. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's unpopular and sometimes you won't eat for several days. But it's a higher duty, and frankly an honor that we subscribe to.

PM me for my shipping address. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:25 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:22 pm
I've batoned swiss army knives and opinels, just to see if I could. :D
Lol :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Crux

Post by Crux »

I think at the end of the day all you need is a Spyderco Bug. You can skin a bear, you can cut down trees and you can defend yourself against any attacker, man or beast. All the other knives are not just a waste, but an embarrassment for the entire human race.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You know, I thought this was a legitimate question but it’s turned into a silly joke-fest.

Done.

Team Innovation