2018 Alistair Phillips!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Peacedivision

Re: 2018 Alistair Phillips!

Post by Peacedivision »

Accutronman wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:57 am
bwunger wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:53 am

Only one minor issue, with the lock. The lock bar tension is pretty stiff and the cutout for access to the lock is a bit small so it's not as nice on my finger tip as my para 3. That, along with the small amount of clearance between the fully depressed lock bar and the blade and trying not to squeeze the two scales together makes it hard to drop shut freely. Closing it like you would a mid back lock, swinging the blade half way down with the lock depressed then flipping it over to finish works fine. It's flipping it closed in one motion with the lock squeezed between thumb and index finger that's tough. I don't find it to be a big issue though. Just something to be aware of.
+1. Difficult, even after oiling the pivot, to get a full drop shut.
I haven't taken my sample apart yet, but I don't think the lockbar is the issue. There is some kind of second internal stop pin on only one side of the blade. I think it is imparting the drag.
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

If I hold the knife as I would for cutting and disengage the lock with my thumb and no pressure on the clip side scale it drops shut freely and the blade choil swings into my index finger. Works fine for me, though not quite as fidget friendly. ;)
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Very nice knife. The action is super smooth but not free dropping on my sample, which is consistent with my experience of the Taichung comp lock. I do wish there was some jimping because the whole knife is pretty slick with a shallow choil. Been a while since I had a Spyderbite, but this one got me right out of the box.

Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Thanks for the comparison pics abbazaba. Hope I can grab one soon... :rolleyes:
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:00 pm
Very nice knife. The action is super smooth but not free dropping on my sample, which is consistent with my experience of the Taichung comp lock. I do wish there was some jimping because the whole knife is pretty slick with a shallow choil. Been a while since I had a Spyderbite, but this one got me right out of the box.

I like the black wire clip! Did you switch that from another knife?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wright.88 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:19 pm
I like the black wire clip! Did you switch that from another knife?
I noticed that too. I figured it's a Sage 1 clip. Sometimes I like going with the darker clips. Reminds me that I need to order a couple more of those.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Yup, Sage1 clip :)
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

bwunger wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:58 pm
If I hold the knife as I would for cutting and disengage the lock with my thumb and no pressure on the clip side scale it drops shut freely and the blade choil swings into my index finger. Works fine for me, though not quite as fidget friendly. ;)
Thanks for the helpful tip! I’ve been working on different hand positions on the clip side and using the index finger to release the lock. I can get a free drop almost to the closed position providing I put zero pressure on the clip side scale.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I too have found that this one is best closed backlock style. Such a nice knife!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Happy camper here. Mine just got delivered, and it's perfecto! Free dropping blade and all. :D
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
nails1908

Post by nails1908 »

Got mine. This is a wonderful piece. Never had a Taiwan compression lock and **** this thing is dialed in. Action is butter straight out of the box. Exponentially better than any Golden compression lock I've ever had.

Extremely light, great ergos (lack of jimping doesn't bother me at all) and cuts like a laser. They definitely knocked it out of the park on this one.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Just got my preorder from knifecenter. Ended up with collector #068... not sure how that happened, but cool.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nails,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Big50

Post by Big50 »

Mine arrived today!
It seems a perfect sample and I am very happy.
The fit and finish is great, and I love the ergonomics.
The scales are beautiful, and the semi-polished texture is comfortable and fitting for this classy knife.

Mine is a free dropper. However, I agree that the size of the cutout and strength of the lockbar make it less of a fidgeter than a PM2. After an hour my index finger is fatugued and I’m noticing I really need to jam it in there. Guess my finger needs to toughen up! :p

I think that, for me anyway, this knife strikes a good ballance between jewlery and utility. I see myself putting it to harder use than some of my other beauties, which will make me like it more in the long run.

Thank you Mr. Phillips and Mr. Glesser. I made a good choice with my limited knife funds.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

There's a BNIB Kapara for sale for $175 on BF
Taken out for photos only.

Not sure if it's a really good deal but I thought it was less than they were selling for.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
reaton626

Post by reaton626 »

Hello,

Joined to forum to say.... good job Alistair and Spyderco! This knife is outstanding.

Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Interesting. I went to loosen the pivot point to get a better drop and the usual T8 driver for pivots was too small. Had to take it up to a T10, which was the largest I had, and there was still some slippage.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Got mine ordered from GPK today. I’ve been waiting for this a long time. Super excited.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Beautiful knife. I had a chance to check it out at the Taipei Meet. The contouring of the scales is great, and I love the way the handle edges are melted. Very nice ergos.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Reaton,

Welcome to our forum. Nice pics.

sal