DLC coat cleaning

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
neuronic

DLC coat cleaning

Post by neuronic »

I have a Manix2XL w/ DLC coating which I very much like but somehow the blade always looks kinda streaky after cleaning, regardless of wether I use soapy stuff, naphtha or just dry clean it with some rag.

I would really like to achieve that smooth uniform factory look again. Any suggestions? Thanks!
glutofknives

Re: DLC coat cleaning

Post by glutofknives »

If its worn it will probably never be 100% again, but Ballistol does wonders on my dlc blades.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Try rubbing it with a light oil, then wiping off as much as you can. When DLC is dry it gets kinda chalky. Vaseline works great for this but you can use practically anything oily.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

Nope, no wear yet, just that superficial streakiness that follows the direction that you're rubbing the blade in when cleaning.
I actually tried Ballistol but found it to be a bit "heavy" on the coating... may try something lighter.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Back when Masters of Defense knives was around, MOD founder Jim Ray did a bunch of experimenting with different oils to get DLC to look good. The best he found as a spray lubricant called LPS TKX. Spray a light coat on the blade, let it sit for a minute, then wipe off the excess. Other oils work well also, but this stuff seems to look better longer--at least with the tungsten DLC used back in the day.

Stay safe,

Mike
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If its a knife that doesn't see any food prep, I just spray a small spot of wd40 on a rag and wipe with that. If food is used with the knife, then I'll use mineral oil. Both work great to restore the shine/black.

You may need to try some Flitz first to buff off the streaks. Then apply the oils.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I wipe mine off with oily rags that I use to clean my guns, old t-shirt and gun oil does the trick for me.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I usually use light gun oil to clean DLC. A few weeks ago my black/DLC PM2 had seen a lot of use and had marks on the blade that wouldn't come off with dish soap or oil. So I remembered that one of the members here had suggested using Flitz to restore DLC. So I did that and it looked like new afterward.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve had best luck with CLP. Gets it right back to new.
Josh