What would make you buy more Spyderco fixed blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdog

Re: What would make you buy more Spyderco fixed blades?

Post by Tdog »

SalomonA wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:12 am
I would be interested if spyderco made a new run of fillet knives that had a blade stock of about 1.5mm and thin edges. High wear resistant steel like s110v would be nice too if it didn't run the price up too much. Would also have to be under 140 for me to be interested.
I'd definitely be in for a Phil Wilson design fillet knife with thin stock. S110V, CPM154, S90V, VG10, M390 or most any "good" stainless.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I came to Spyderco for the folders. My fixed-blades needs were pretty much satisfied before I came here. But, I do have a place for Lance’s WaterWay. It will do good things in places my other FBs would not survive without time-consuming maintenance.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:05 pm
For me, it would take smaller fixed blades with a sheath that would fit in my pocket. It would be nice if the sheath had enough retention in my pocket that when I draw the knife, the sheath stays securely in my pocket.

Make it small and a useful edc blade shape and I’m in.
I'm not sure how such a sheath could work unless you used a static line attached to a belt loop or similar. That or pop the sheath off in the pocket with your thumb.

For me the most convenient FB carry method is sideways on the front of my belt. I can draw it, cut what I need to cut, then resheath it easily one handed in the dark.

When I pocket carry it makes it impossible to re-sheath quickly or one handed...gotta fish it out of the pocket, turn it the right way, then use both hands getting it back in there.
:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Based on the reaction to the Bow River, I'm guessing price point is a big factor.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I've been looking for an EDC fixed blade lately. After tons of looking I finally remembered that mules were an option. Now I'm just deciding on pd1 or a11. I think if they marketed/reintroduced the mule in a complete package, made some handle refinements, and still offered it in a few different interesting steels, it would sell better. I think it can be a bit confusing or intimidating for newcomers, and it's easily forgotten about. And it's unavailable on bladehq/knifecenter etc. I anticipate it being a fantastic knife.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Peter1960 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:48 am
In short words: As long as fixed blades have the useless hole in it, I'm not interested. Spyderco insists on it and it is their good right.
I love the Spydie hole.A knife-fixed or folder-without a hole in the blade would not be a Spyderco anymore.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Baron Mind wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:14 pm
I've been looking for an EDC fixed blade lately. After tons of looking I finally remembered that mules were an option. Now I'm just deciding on pd1 or a11. I think if they marketed/reintroduced the mule in a complete package, made some handle refinements, and still offered it in a few different interesting steels, it would sell better. I think it can be a bit confusing or intimidating for newcomers, and it's easily forgotten about. And it's unavailable on bladehq/knifecenter etc. I anticipate it being a fantastic knife.
I want a Mule for some time,but i don't want to slap on it cheap handles,and quality custom ones are more expensive than the knife.
I'll be all over a Mule with nice micarta or wood scales,and a leather,horinzontal sheet in the 150$ range.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:18 am
Peter1960 wrote:
In short words: As long as fixed blades have the useless hole in it, I'm not interested. Spyderco insists on it and it is their good right.
I love the Spydie hole.A knife-fixed or folder-without a hole in the blade would not be a Spyderco anymore.

That tiny spydie hole is perfect for a forward lanyard...
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

For me, it's about size and blade shape. The Ark is a near perfect size, but I find that I don't have as much use for a blade with that much belly in my day to day use. If it were a wharncilffe, I'd likely already have two in my collection. It also seems like most fixed blades that would be an optimal size for me are set up to be carried as neck knives, when I'd much rather be able to carry them on my belt.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

A design I want in a steel I want at a price I can afford! That"s all :)
I carry an edc fixed blade, uh, Every Day...
Mules are great but I really want a fixed military in cruwear. also a ro2 in a better steel.
I think the upcoming bowies look great, but I don't need one. The s90v Wilson's are great too.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Gotta agree. The unnecessary hole and the prices.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Need and cost. I use my Mule the most, great EDC style fixed blade. But all my other fixed blades only get used when I go camping. My next fixed blade will probably be a Mora. Since I use them so infrequently I may as well get a cheaper blade
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 pm

When I pocket carry it makes it impossible to re-sheath quickly or one handed...gotta fish it out of the pocket, turn it the right way, then use both hands getting it back in there.

I want a pocket sheath that clips to my pocket just like a folder does so I can save the fishing for the lake ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:49 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:18 am
Peter1960 wrote:

That tiny spydie hole is perfect for a forward lanyard...
Do you use one? I don't think I've ever seen someone utilize that feature.

I used to think having the hole on fixed blades was silly, but after thinking about it, I suppose it makes the knife lighter. It's certainly never gotten in the way for me.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:43 pm
Everyone here adores Spydercos folders, and for good reason.

However, feelings seem a little more mixed when it comes to their fixed blades.

It seems to me, from a consumer stand point, it's easier for Spyderco to distinguish themselves in the folding market than fixed.

To begin with we have their opening hole. It is, IMO, the best functioning method of opening a folding knife with one hand.

But on a fixed blade it serves little to no purpose.

Second, Spydercos in house locks aren't available anywhere else. If you're a fan of the compression lock, caged ball bearing lock or power lock, there's really no one else to turn to.

Lastly, they have a penchant for using steels uncommonly, or never found in production folding knives.

Fixed blades, having no need for an opening hole or lock, are generally available in a wider variety of steels. Especially when you get into the custom market, which is far more accessible to the average buyer than custom folding knives.

With this in mind, what could Spyderco do to draw your interest to their line of fixed blades?
I've been adding all sorts of fixed blades (much slower then folders) to my collection . Large choppers to small horizontal carry EDC blades....and everything in between.

Like the folders I've been gravitating to Spyderco fixed blades after buying from other manufacturers like Bark River, Bradford guardian, Becker, LionSteel, etc. I really like the designs and materials used in Spyderco's blades. ..but most every time I click on a given spydie non folding knife.... I'm BLOWN AWAY at how much they cost for where they're made!!! Come on guys....

I've picked up two mules (20CV and A11) with Halpern scales, Street Beat, and Junction ....all which I absolutely love. I'm on the pre order list for the Province (which is priced appropriate IMO) and would love to get the Bradley Bowie eventually(maybe when it's discontinued or exchange).

How does Spyderco justify the price of the Zoomer ? Especially when Bradford, Bark River, and LionSteel have competitive knives with similar (or better) materials! That's not even touching on the custom knife market ...which offers unique quality blades at similar prices to the Zoomer! Am I wrong? Please educate me and set me straight ...as I'm still new (13 months in) to this great hobby.

I love Spyderco knives!, Actually addicted to them in reality ! But I can't justify a lot of their high end fixed blades.... that SEEM to be way over market.

James

I would love for Spyderco to make more knives for EDC horizontal carry like the street beat in different steels and handle materials. The different blade shapes, steels, and handle materials of the Guardian 3 ...but with the spyderco flare would be awesome.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 am
Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 pm

I want a pocket sheath that clips to my pocket just like a folder does so I can save the fishing for the lake ;)
Then how would you conceal it? Isn't that something you were going for?

My BM Azeria works well clipped to a pocket fwiw. I took it off my belt and clipped it RFP the other day when we were dealing with a large shipment of supplies at work. The clip tension is a little stronger than a G clip.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Extra330SC wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:00 am
I would love for Spyderco to make more knives for EDC horizontal carry like the street beat in different steels and handle materials. The different blade shapes, steels, and handle materials of the Guardian 3 ...but with the spyderco flare would be awesome.
Guardian 3 is pretty hard to beat. It's my preferred fixed EDC. I'm not actually sure that Spyderco could compete with it.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

[/quote]

Do you use one? I don't think I've ever seen someone utilize that feature.

I used to think having the hole on fixed blades was silly, but after thinking about it, I suppose it makes the knife lighter. It's certainly never gotten in the way for me.
[/quote]

I think the weightloss get ballanced out by the added drag.. :P
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
vivi

Post by vivi »

StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:13 am
For me, it's about size and blade shape. The Ark is a near perfect size, but I find that I don't have as much use for a blade with that much belly in my day to day use. If it were a wharncilffe, I'd likely already have two in my collection. It also seems like most fixed blades that would be an optimal size for me are set up to be carried as neck knives, when I'd much rather be able to carry them on my belt.
I'm with you on the Ark. In fact I tried to convert mine to a wharncliff:

I also took off the spyder hole & hump so that there was somewhere I could put my thumb. Not sure where it's supposed to go on the original design.

You can also see how I set it up for belt carry with some paracord loops.

I was really excited when they released an H1 EDC sized FB, but it ended up not working out for me. Too much belly, the hump got in the way of my thumb, the sheath on mine doesn't lock (I can easily pull mine out without pressing the tab...even before mods), and the handle is so thin a side pinch grip is the only comfortable grip for extended cutting.

I'm sure it's great for what it was designed for. I'd still like to see an H1 EDC that's a similar size, but wharnie, flat spine, and better sheath.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Extra330SC wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:00 am
Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:43 pm
Everyone here adores Spydercos folders, and for good reason.

However, feelings seem a little more mixed when it comes to their fixed blades.

It seems to me, from a consumer stand point, it's easier for Spyderco to distinguish themselves in the folding market than fixed.

To begin with we have their opening hole. It is, IMO, the best functioning method of opening a folding knife with one hand.

But on a fixed blade it serves little to no purpose.

Second, Spydercos in house locks aren't available anywhere else. If you're a fan of the compression lock, caged ball bearing lock or power lock, there's really no one else to turn to.

Lastly, they have a penchant for using steels uncommonly, or never found in production folding knives.

Fixed blades, having no need for an opening hole or lock, are generally available in a wider variety of steels. Especially when you get into the custom market, which is far more accessible to the average buyer than custom folding knives.

With this in mind, what could Spyderco do to draw your interest to their line of fixed blades?
I've been adding all sorts of fixed blades (much slower then folders) to my collection . Large choppers to small horizontal carry EDC blades....and everything in between.

Like the folders I've been gravitating to Spyderco fixed blades after buying from other manufacturers like Bark River, Bradford guardian, Becker, LionSteel, etc. I really like the designs and materials used in Spyderco's blades. ..but most every time I click on a given spydie non folding knife.... I'm BLOWN AWAY at how much they cost for where they're made!!! Come on guys....

I've picked up two mules (20CV and A11) with Halpern scales, Street Beat, and Junction ....all which I absolutely love. I'm on the pre order list for the Province (which is priced appropriate IMO) and would love to get the Bradley Bowie eventually(maybe when it's discontinued or exchange).

How does Spyderco justify the price of the Zoomer ? Especially when Bradford, Bark River, and LionSteel have competitive knives with similar (or better) materials! That's not even touching on the custom knife market ...which offers unique quality blades at similar prices to the Zoomer! Am I wrong? Please educate me and set me straight ...as I'm still new (13 months in) to this great hobby.

I love Spyderco knives!, Actually addicted to them in reality ! But I can't justify a lot of their high end fixed blades.... that SEEM to be way over market.

James

The Street Beat works for horizontal carry. You can use the included G clip or use paracord loops like in my Ark photo. I'd go with the latter...using a G clip for horizontal carry, they can dig into my torso when I sit down. That's why I also prefer taco style sheaths for a more minimal height.

I've seen a ton of Guardian 3's posted on other knife forums lately. I handled one....the choil handle design isn't my thing.

I think the Zoomer looks really nice, but as soon as I saw the price I lost interest. Even if I wait for it to be discontinued and sell for half price.....that's still about double what I'd be looking at for a similar sized knife in 3V & Micarta.

Same story with the Temperance 2. It's a really, really nice knife....but it's twice what I paid for a custom with similar features in a steel I prefer for outdoors use.