2018 Alistair Phillips!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: 2018 Alistair Phillips!

Post by abbazaba »

I'm waiting on my preorder, so I'll have to enjoy this one through your pictures for now. Looking forward to some comparison pics ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Available today directly from Spyderco, which is major, if you have a military discount.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It has finally arrived and it is everything I remembered. It is like a toned down Spydiechef with better ergos and lock.
It isn't small, yet it disappears in the pocket.

Sure is beautiful!

Work and Play! ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
citori

Post by citori »

Still waiting for my preorder from Blade HQ. Guess I should know better than to waste time with that.
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

Got mine last night and my initial impression is really good. Love the design and the fit and finish on mine is perfect. The ergos, blade shape and handle are all as I had hoped. Blade is nice and thin behind the edge. It's heavier than I expected, due to the full liners but it gives it a solid feel, especially with the dual stop pins. The detent on closing is especially nice. It's a nice solid click. It's running on plain PB washers, not the new PB cages with bearings btw. Seems like I had heard differing claims so I took it apart. Tons of white threadlocker, but it acted like the blue locktite. No issues with the screws coming out though. All the screws had a D shaped hole on the non lock side scale so they won't spin freely.

I'm really glad I got this one. Nicely done Spyderco and Mr. Phillips.

Only one minor issue, with the lock. The lock bar tension is pretty stiff and the cutout for access to the lock is a bit small so it's not as nice on my finger tip as my para 3. That, along with the small amount of clearance between the fully depressed lock bar and the blade and trying not to squeeze the two scales together makes it hard to drop shut freely. Closing it like you would a mid back lock, swinging the blade half way down with the lock depressed then flipping it over to finish works fine. It's flipping it closed in one motion with the lock squeezed between thumb and index finger that's tough. I don't find it to be a big issue though. Just something to be aware of.

Hope this helps someone.
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

bwunger wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:53 am
Got mine last night and my initial impression is really good. Love the design and the fit and finish on mine is perfect. The ergos, blade shape and handle are all as I had hoped. Blade is nice and thin behind the edge. It's heavier than I expected, due to the full liners but it gives it a solid feel, especially with the dual stop pins. The detent on closing is especially nice. It's a nice solid click. It's running on plain PB washers, not the new PB cages with bearings btw. Seems like I had heard differing claims so I took it apart. Tons of white threadlocker, but it acted like the blue locktite. No issues with the screws coming out though. All the screws had a D shaped hole on the non lock side scale so they won't spin freely.

I'm really glad I got this one. Nicely done Spyderco and Mr. Phillips.

Only one minor issue, with the lock. The lock bar tension is pretty stiff and the cutout for access to the lock is a bit small so it's not as nice on my finger tip as my para 3. That, along with the small amount of clearance between the fully depressed lock bar and the blade and trying not to squeeze the two scales together makes it hard to drop shut freely. Closing it like you would a mid back lock, swinging the blade half way down with the lock depressed then flipping it over to finish works fine. It's flipping it closed in one motion with the lock squeezed between thumb and index finger that's tough. I don't find it to be a big issue though. Just something to be aware of.

Hope this helps someone.
Thanks for the write up. I'd love to see some disassembly pics
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Received mine yesterday and really liking it. Fit and finish are excellent. I do kind of miss jimping on the blade but understand why Alistair didn't add any. It is really comfortable in hand with the 3D textured CF and doesn't carry too big in the pocket. Overall seems like a fantastic knife and I see myself carrying and using it a ton.

I took a few comparison pictures with a PM2: https://imgur.com/a/zltjzWz
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Now if I hadnt just bought my first CRK this would still be relevant.
But glad that it finally arrived and seems to live up to the high hopes.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

So happy it's a production model. Would love to get it right now, but my funds say I should wait. For now I'll enjoy everyone's photos and pretend my Centofante 3 is this knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

What a great knife! As good a food prep knife as the SpydieChef. Feels great in hand with zero hot spots. Now, if we can get a left hand version
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Well, my preorders from two different vendors shipped today. Only keeping one. Forgot I had two different ones in. So, if someone not able to find one maybe I can help. Otherwise, will just ship right back. But looking forward to checking it out.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Mine is en route from KC as well. Sweet!
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

Would love seeing this as a Salt, looks like a great "foodie Knife" that would also be a great EDC, having the LC200N blade would be a huge convenience.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:42 am
Available today directly from Spyderco, which is major, if you have a military discount.
What is the military discount ?

US only ?

Current serving or
previous allied country ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:37 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

US only ?

Current serving or
Present and past, US only, I believe.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
attila

Post by attila »

500Nitro wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

US only ?

Current serving or
Police, firefighters, and military veterans get 50% off.

Service is normally verified electronically (I think only US vets records are available this way), but it's worth sending them an email to ask the question.

Good luck!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

bwunger wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:53 am

+1. Difficult, even after oiling the pivot, to get a full drop shut.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

attila wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:09 am
500Nitro wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

US only ?

Current serving or
Police, firefighters, and military veterans get 50% off.

Service is normally verified electronically (I think only US vets records are available this way), but it's worth sending them an email to ask the question.

Good luck!
Rather than depend on second-hand information here, go to Spyderco’s web site.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Mine should be here Saturday.
rivy

Post by rivy »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:52 am
Mine should be here Saturday.